Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 totaled! please advise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
forgive me if i'm wrong but I read somewhere that insurance companies are not obligated to pay you back for any sale tax for cars?

It varies by state. Perhaps the requirements have since changed but I had a car totaled in Massachusetts three years ago and the insurance paid the sales tax. The idea is (was) that you get reimbursed for costs associated with buying an equivalent replacement vehicle including purchase price and sales tax. Some states also require insurance companies to pay title and registration fees but in MA, at least then, it was just the sales tax.

The blue is sick too, is it a stealth model as well?
Yup, it sure is... one year older than yours, though. :)

I will definitely keep you posted on how everything turns out.
Excellent!

I wonder if they will come out with a 2021 model 3 stealth, so far i've heard tesla will not be doing it.
Now that Tesla is selling the "Acceleration Boost" option for the LR AWD, I really doubt they'll be doing any more Stealth Performance. They also used the 980 motor (which is what powers the stealth and full performance) interchangeably with the 990 (used on the LR AWD) on LR AWD cars until around Feb of 2019, but now that the 980 motor is used exclusively in the Performance and not also occasionally used in the LR AWD cars, I'm afraid our days of "stealth" performance cars are over. Really a shame, too.

get a lawyer. wife's car was hit about a year ago. get a lawyer. insurance companies will try to screw you over...
While I think skepticism of insurance companies is definitely fair, lawyers can just as easily screw you. There are times to invoke a lawyer, and there are times where it's unnecessary. If there was no personal injury, no active dispute/insurance is cooperative, and damage is isolated to the vehicle(s), there's little reason to involve a lawyer. They come at a hefty price which doesn't always add value, and it's money that can go towards the replacement vehicle.

It amazes me that people pay for insurance and then automatically assume that the company they're paying for a service is instantly going to screw them the first opportunity they have. Yes, I'm aware of how insurance companies work.
Agreed, it depends on your company (and state law). Since I pay my company and they're considered experts, I also use them as a service for when I have questions (with or without a claim).

Some years ago when my car was totaled (rival driver was at fault, with a police report), I decided I wanted to speed up the process and get back on the road. I pursued the process with my company, who worked with me to determine the value of my car, and after providing them with information and a few calls to dealerships to validate, I was good to go.

Once I was out of the way, my insurance company pursued the rest of the claim with the at-fault insurance company, through an arbitration process. They have the money, time, expertise and resources, so I let them handle what I've paid them to do.

Fact is, money is involved, and so both lawyers and insurance companies may or may not have your best interest at heart. Everyone will have a different experience, but it's a good idea to educate yourself, so that you have a better idea as to when to escalate and involve a lawyer.

Read what I wrote above. I had an accident in my Model 3 on a Tuesday. My car was declared totaled on Friday with a value I had been consulted on and was happy with. I received funds the following Tuesday. 7 days on an 18 month old car with 35k miles. So I've been well taken care of.

Also had a flood in my house. They had a remediation contractor at my house next day (would have done that night but I told them not to worry about it). Zero money out of pocket except deductible. House repaired well to my standards (a builder).

Sorry if I don't share your doom and gloom.

That's an absurd statement. How did I ever blame the victim? I simply said....let the insurance company do what you pay them to do. You guys are all "lawyer up, guns blazing, you're getting screwed!" before anything even starts.

"Maybe you guys just need to pay for better freaking insurance that actually does their job instead of having to fight the company you're paying money to in the first place."

- that you?

"Maybe you guys just need to pay for better freaking insurance that actually does their job instead of having to fight the company you're paying money to in the first place."

- that you?

Yup, sure as hell is. And it was directed at anyone who suggesting "Lawyer up" was the first course of action be taken in this circumstance. I guess I just don't see that as blaming the victim.

Again, sorry if you had a bad experience. They aren't all that way. And a little due diligence up front can potentially, but not certainly, avoid it. My overall point still stands: don't assume people are going to screw you, let them give you the opportunity to prove otherwise first.

Last edited:

- that you?

Some insurances will replace a car that's less than one year old with a brand new car. If not, then find a used car that's exactly like yours or better and have them pay for it. They will see that there are NO cars available like that in the used market for less than what you paid brand new.

Yup, it sure is... one year older than yours, though. :)

Excellent!

Now that Tesla is selling the "Acceleration Boost" option for the LR AWD, I really doubt they'll be doing any more Stealth Performance. They also used the 980 motor (which is what powers the stealth and full performance) interchangeably with the 990 (used on the LR AWD) on LR AWD cars until around Feb of 2019, but now that the 980 motor is used exclusively in the Performance and not also occasionally used in the LR AWD cars, I'm afraid our days of "stealth" performance cars are over. Really a shame, too.
Got my 2020 Stealth mid December 2019. Love it, although after 13.5K miles I’m almost through my first set of tires:). Sorry to hear about the loss...guess I better check with my insurance and make sure they cover both the performance part and my FSD...since both will be more expensive if totaled now.

Some insurances will replace a car that's less than one year old with a brand new car. If not, then find a used car that's exactly like yours or better and have them pay for it. They will see that there are NO cars available like that in the used market for less than what you paid brand new.
Don't know if I'm alone on this one up here in canada (compared to y'all down in the USA), but if my vehicle gets totalled in the first 4 years, they'll pay out the amount on the original bill of sale. It's actually a feature of the insurance up here that was offered to me without my asking for it.

How about actually seeing how it plays out first? My insurance company was great. Actually asked me if I wanted to total or if I wanted to keep the car since the estimate was so close on the line. My car was hit on Tuesday and by Friday we had both agreed on a value and the car had been declared a total. I had the money on Tuesday.

I know not every insurance company is so easy to work with, but man, lawyer up instantly? Why?

So his used, 1 year old with 13,000 miles car is totaled and he deserves it to be replaced with a new one? Hmmmm..... I think not.
Some insurance companies offer plans the do 100% replace for either 1 or 2 years or more. Now that might not apply here because it’s not his insurance. But if he had that option on his plan I think it would kick in regardless of whose fault it was. But I’d fight for damn close to full price.

New-Car Replacement Insurance Explained

Don't know if I'm alone on this one up here in canada (compared to y'all down in the USA), but if my vehicle gets totalled in the first 4 years, they'll pay out the amount on the original bill of sale. It's actually a feature of the insurance up here that was offered to me without my asking for it.

That type of coverage can be available in the U.S. as well but depends on the insurance company and specific policy someone has. Other things, like potentially paying sales tax and/or title and registration fees, are state by state requirements.

While most insurance policies are similar, they are all different - especially when it comes to first party coverage. My policy offers an additional 20% on any total loss settlement. I pay a little extra to have that endorsement on my policy. If I didn't pay for it, I wouldn't receive it.

Most policies with collision coverage are going to stipulate that the policy provides the cost of repairs or the ACV, whichever is less. They have to prove their ACV with supports. Most insurance companies don't do this process themselves.

Getting a lawyer for a single vehicle property damage claim is ridiculous. Most attorneys wouldn't take the case without charging you a 30-40% fee - which would defeat the purpose of getting them to try and save a thousand bucks at best. But hey, if that's what makes you feel better, more power to you. I promise that getting an attorney will not change how the adjuster operates.

There is a small cost, but it's minimal. It's called depreciation waiver, and is available on all policies in Ontario. I think it was an extra $60/year on the quote I received for the M3P, and it was offered to me for 5 years.

The one catch though is that the depreciation waiver is only available if the car is new when the policy comes in force insured, and only for the original owner. So it essentially locks you in that that insurance company for the duration of the depreciation waiver.

How about actually seeing how it plays out first? My insurance company was great. Actually asked me if I wanted to total or if I wanted to keep the car since the estimate was so close on the line. My car was hit on Tuesday and by Friday we had both agreed on a value and the car had been declared a total. I had the money on Tuesday.

I'd love to know what insurance company that is. They sound like a class act.

Something else to consider: My insurance company would not pay for the brand new tires I'd just bought on the Model S we totalled. If your tires are new enough you might consider removing them and putting on some old used ones and selling them separately. The salvage lot my car was brought to would've allowed us to do that if I'd considered it. At the time we were too involved in getting the right value for the car to worry about the tires.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
forgive me if i'm wrong but I read somewhere that insurance companies are not obligated to pay you back for any sale tax for cars?
My opinion is that the at fault driver's insurance company should, at a minimum, replace your Tesla with an equivalent car. That includes them paying all taxes and fees. If you bought any options like Full Self Driving they have to pay for that too. You did nothing wrong. If their first offer isn't fair then hire a lawyer. Don't waste your time with a lot of back in forth. That will actually hurt your case if you later end up hiring a lawyer.