Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 totaled! please advise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently found out that my 2020 Model 3 Stealth was totaled. I was rear ended so it wasn't my fault at all. I only had my car a little over a year and it had 13,000 miles on it. What ACV do you think I should accept from the other insurance company? I paid around 53k for the car (not including tax). I'm also pretty upset because my car was a stealth version and I dont think stealths are available in the 2021 models. A piece of me wished that they fixed the car even though I know it's better off being totaled because I don't think I will be able to find it again. Anyways, I was just looking for some advice please!

Thanks,

Drew
Have you had Tesla tell you it isn’t fixable? If not, get their official recommendation and quote if they can fix it. An insurance company’s decision that a car is unfixable just means that they will pay you blue book (and there are lots of blue books), value that theoretically is what you could buy an identical car for. Because of the things that you mentioned, you may have a hard time finding a replacement ... they should pay you enough for you to buy a 1 year olds stealth with 12,000 miles or see that you’s is repaired.

So I recently found out that my 2020 Model 3 Stealth was totaled. I was rear ended so it wasn't my fault at all. I only had my car a little over a year and it had 13,000 miles on it. What ACV do you think I should accept from the other insurance company? I paid around 53k for the car (not including tax). I'm also pretty upset because my car was a stealth version and I dont think stealths are available in the 2021 models. A piece of me wished that they fixed the car even though I know it's better off being totaled because I don't think I will be able to find it again. Anyways, I was just looking for some advice please!

Thanks,

Drew
Drew, DVC. Diminished Value Claim. Worked for me and was sent a check AFTER full repairs of rear end accident. Very minor.

Thanks,

Drew
I was in the near exact same position but had an SR+ Model 3. It ended up that the insurance company (my policy) covered everything and went after the accident-causer's company. I ended up with the entire purchase price after they did the comparison (Model 3 used prices are very high in that first year). I even got back the $1000 deductible that was on my policy. I guess I sorta lost the federal deductible because I replaced it after the federal EV rebate was off the books. ALSO, as your car is totaled, I would 'suggest' taking everything that you can from the vehicle. Mats, charge cords and adapters, USB, USB cords, etc. Spare parts for you new car! Pray that Biden gets the new EV rebates in place for your new car.

@ddreww If the insurance company you're working with does what @Needsdecaf 's did, make sure you let them know that your car was a Model 3 Performance. For the 2020 model year, that really is what your car is; the stealth was a version of the Model 3 Performance. While it could be argued that previous model years "stealth" cars could have been considered a version of the LR AWD (They just added a bit to the LR AWD price to get you a "stealth" performance), the 2020 model year was different, in that you paid the full Performance price, and the option to turn your car into a "stealth" Performance was done by selecting options from the Performance configuration page. That was how it was done for the short period of time that you could actually order a stealth performance off of Tesla's car configurator.

Don't muddy the waters with your insurance company by trying to explain the differences between your car, a LR AWD, and a "regular" Performance. Your car is a Model 3 Performance, period.
The official Tesla 'new & used' cars site is to your advantage. The insurance company has to find equivalent cars selling / sold for the for the $ they're offering you as 'comps'. In my experience this 'comps' competition comes down to who can spend/waste the most time/money finding comps - you vs the insurance adjuster who gets paid for 'comps time'. Whatever your insurance adjuster finds at whatever random used car website, send them to the Tesla site to find a comp there - nothing older / more miles / fewer / different features except to your advantage - or of course they can build a new one. If you bought the totaled car new directly from Tesla, Tesla is clearly the most trusted source, making this 'feature' of real - highest? - value in the comp.

Read what I wrote above. I had an accident in my Model 3 on a Tuesday. My car was declared totaled on Friday with a value I had been consulted on and was happy with. I received funds the following Tuesday. 7 days on an 18 month old car with 35k miles. So I've been well taken care of.

Also had a flood in my house. They had a remediation contractor at my house next day (would have done that night but I told them not to worry about it). Zero money out of pocket except deductible. House repaired well to my standards (a builder).

Sorry if I don't share your doom and gloom.

That's an absurd statement. How did I ever blame the victim? I simply said....let the insurance company do what you pay them to do. You guys are all "lawyer up, guns blazing, you're getting screwed!" before anything even starts.

In most states you are entitled to the replacement cost of your vehicle with like kind and quality, plus tax and rental vehicle costs for a reasonable period of time. So the bottom line is that you would break even. If you are dealing with a reputable insurance company they know that and should pay that amount. So I recommend that you price out, as close as possible, a comparable used Tesla with like mileage and condition and require that amount before you incur expenses. If a Stealth is not available then you are entitled to that difference in value lost. A property damage settlement would not include the value of injuries and other damages, if applicable. If the accident was not your fault then you are entitled to be made whole.

Last edited:
I'm going to tell you to make sure to send video from rear camera to their company and also tell them your filing a DVC.( Diminished Value Claim). Which accounts for even totaled cars of any type

You can't claim Diminished Value on a totaled car, as they are paying you the full pre-accident value of the vehicle. (You are already made whole.) DV only applies to cars that are fixed after a collision.

How about actually seeing how it plays out first? My insurance company was great. Actually asked me if I wanted to total or if I wanted to keep the car since the estimate was so close on the line. My car was hit on Tuesday and by Friday we had both agreed on a value and the car had been declared a total. I had the money on Tuesday.

I know not every insurance company is so easy to work with, but man, lawyer up instantly? Why?

So his used, 1 year old with 13,000 miles car is totaled and he deserves it to be replaced with a new one? Hmmmm..... I think not.
Good level headed thinking. I’ve always found insurance companies to be fair and honest. No need to get all spun up and think they owe you the moon.

Ouch. I had the same issue while parked. Just a bumper for me which cost $2282 total. Only $365 for the bumper cover from Tesla the rest was paint, labor and calibration of the radar and sensors. Problem was the idiot had *sugar* insurance (Falcon) and they wouldn’t pay the Tesla authorized shop labor rate. Rather than fight I put it through my insurance and let them go after Falcon. There was no impact to my rates. Those videos sure make it an open and shut case. If you get in trouble in San Antonio and need body work on your Tesla take it to Alamo Heights Collision. These people are awesome.

Thanks,

Drew
I don't have any insight into the insurance aspect but would be curious to know how well your M3 protected you from injury. Supposed to be the safest car on the road. Hope you're well.

I would think there is a difference depending on whether one is in a no-fault state or not. Why would one be dealing with one's insurance company rather than the insurance company of the other driver if not in a no-fault state? I once got rear ended in NJ (not in a TESLA) and the offender's insurance company tried to get me to accept a used trunk lid. I said no and they paid for a new one.

I would think there is a difference depending on whether one is in a no-fault state or not. Why would one be dealing with one's insurance company rather than the insurance company of the other driver if not in a no-fault state? I once got rear ended in NJ (not in a TESLA) and the offender's insurance company tried to get me to accept a used trunk lid. I said no and they paid for a new one.

Regardless if I'm at fault or not my issuance has taken care of me out of their pocket immediately and then gone after reimbursement for themselves from other parties, as necessarily. There goal has always been to take care my needs ASAP and deal with everything else themselves on their time schedule.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
We had one of our 3's totaled last year. The insurance companies were looking for comps and couldn't find any at the time. I warned them I considered the car new with only 8K miles on it. It was Opti coated and had tinted windows added. in two phone calls they paid us 5K over the price of a new car. we got a new car from Tesla within a week and recoated. it was painless but mainly because there were no Comps at the time. They had to by a new car. The overage paid all the fee's. We were also lucky that my son was T Boned Second car from impact car running red light at 55 MPH and walked away from it. The fire wall got buckled so they had to total it. I think I Could have driven the car. That was probably another reason for lack of injury on our side. No one else did go in the crash. 4 hospitalized.

Because you'll lose time. We had to sue (or threaten to I guess) our own insurance company who low balled us hard on her model 3, after weeks of back/forth on repair vs. total. Tesla certified shop said total it. We said total it. They shipped it 3 different places over 6-8 weeks of jerking us around. We had enough. Within 48 hours of our lawyer on the case, car was classified totaled and negotiations began.

Then on to the actual human injuries...

To each, their own, but that was our experience.
@SabrToothSqrl What a hassle. Do you mind sharing which insurance company you were using? I'd like to avoid that. Thank you.

Not the OM. But I’ve been with Allstate for 30 years. Everyone had something to say about all other insurance companies. But honestly they cost a little more but they have always stuck by me. Been very flexible. Repairs wherever I wanted. Quick and issue to resolve. They always take care of me quickly and then handle the rest on there side even if it takes a years with the other party. Be it my fault or the others. The possible key for me is getting to know my local agents (3 over the years) who have always championed for me if there was even a slightest hint of any pushback with corporate adjusters. They have always been very “flexible” in my programs or other ways to lower my rates as much as possible while also maxing my coverage. You want to make sure that you have enough cover to avoid loosing any of your money or possessions and I have about $2M of coverage, partially using an umbrella policy (with home) which I HIGHLY recommend. Short of a civial trial for something I’m at fault at with extenuating circumstances I’m more then covered and won’t get my house, business, or partial payment taken from me. There had been a few issues in both sides that could have been a headache for me to personally deal with and / or cost loads of money. My rates have remained more than reasonable and Allstate has always taken care of all the work unless I choose to be involved. It’s been an anolsute pleasure. With numerous family, personal, work and other issues over the decades it’s nice to know they have my back, fight for me, and get me the outcome I desire. Even with my last issued where my Tesla was totaled I was paid thousand more than a new car, got a updated model, extra warranty, another referral, and still pocketed thousands. Even in one situation where corporate wanted to drop me (one time) while in high school and only driving 6 mph, my local agent argued for me and I kept my policy with NO premium bump.

This is likely not most people’s experience with any insurance company, let alone Allstate, or especially THREE different (local) agents; but for me I CAN’T say ENOUGH good things.

Again not the cheapest.

But something I’ve always lived my life by is “Buy The Best” (not the most expensive) and you’ll always be happy.

So far after half a century it’s worked out quite well.

In my case, I would have lost time. Sorry you had a bad experience.

It amazes me that people pay for insurance and then automatically assume that the company they're paying for a service is instantly going to screw them the first opportunity they have. Yes, I'm aware of how insurance companies work. I've seen The Incredibles (sarcasm).

Maybe you guys just need to pay for better freaking insurance that actually does their job instead of having to fight the company you're paying money to in the first place.
Absolutely don’t skimp on insurance buying on line is fraught with danger get a good broker to get your insurance