TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3: tow a boat out of the water from a ramp

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by joh_ver, Nov 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. joh_ver

joh_ver Member

Hi,

It's wintertime, so next week I have to drag my boat (approx 600kg incl. trailer) out of the water on a ramp.
    Anyone has experience with this? Can I leave the car while it's on parking brake? Use creep mode? etc.
    M3-AWD-LR

Thanks,
    Johan
    Netherlands

2. MRGEDU

MRGEDU Member

I haven’t pulled a boat but I have pulled a trailer that is about 480kg and parked on an incline without an issue. The parking brake is set when you press the button. You may want to set it to chill mode and I am not sure if creep or whatever the new mode is called would be better. My guess is creep, but the new one petal mode will lock the brakes when your foot is not on the accelerator. Both modes have advantages and disadvantages.

3. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

My concern with using a Model 3 (or S or X or Y) would be from partial submersion of the battery and motor.

4. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

If the boat is that light I would presume the trailer doesn't need to go that deep.
    Small boats you want the trailer much shallower since they draft little they don't stay centered on a trailer too far under water.

I think it will all be fine without any special attention.

5. SoManyM3s

SoManyM3s Member

Don’t submerge the battery, outside, car should be able to tow that weight easily.

6. lynnpt2001

lynnpt2001 Cookie Monster MX & M3

I tow a 23 foot yamaha twin engine boat a lot. Always on steep ramps. Never had any issues with brake holding on the ramp or X pulling it. In fact it almost pulls too hard....so I always use Chill mode. If you have any other questions pm me

7. KenC

KenC Active Member

I'd say the first time, stay in the driver's seat, and bring a helper to load the boat on the trailer.

When I get my hitch installed, I'll use my Model 3 to launch my Waverunner. That probably weighs 1000lbs with trailer, about 450kgs. My old Chevy Volt had no problems pulling or launching the Waverunner.