Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 tow bar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering a few things about getting a tow hitch for my Model 3. I've read a little, and the task appears to require Tesla expertise, as opposed to buy just any hitch and attaching it to just any car. Is it likely I have to ask a Tesla shop to do it?

My goals are 1) to be able to tow a small trailer, for the times I want to haul goods from the home store, or small appliances; 2) use it to carry bicycles, so I'm not stressing the body metal, as happens with a carrier that hangs from the back of the car; 3) carry a small sleeping unit, sorta RV lite.

Has anyone done any of these? What kind of additional battery load should I expect? I have the extended-drive package.

TIA.

I'm wondering a few things about getting a tow hitch for my Model 3. I've read a little, and the task appears to require Tesla expertise, as opposed to buy just any hitch and attaching it to just any car. Is it likely I have to ask a Tesla shop to do it?

My goals are 1) to be able to tow a small trailer, for the times I want to haul goods from the home store, or small appliances; 2) use it to carry bicycles, so I'm not stressing the body metal, as happens with a carrier that hangs from the back of the car; 3) carry a small sleeping unit, sorta RV lite.

Has anyone done any of these? What kind of additional battery load should I expect? I have the extended-drive package.

TIA.
Tesla is not going to install a hitch on a Model 3 for you. So your only option is to source the parts and put it on yourself or have it done at an independent shop.

The drain on range will entirely depend what you are towing. Just a bicycle, I wouldn’t expect a meaningful impact. Maybe 10%. Towing a trailer, expect a 50%+ penalty.

These numbers will be worse depending on weather and elevation. Teslas are great at pulling things. They just cannot pull them very far.

I can tell you that towing a small motorcycle trailer with a small motorcycle on the back of a Model X brings down the efficiency to 68% and that's with only doing 55 to 60 highway speed. I also pulled a small enclosed trailer a while back with the same car. Efficiency was around 58% at similar speeds.
So, consider a cut in half of rated range if you are pulling anything bigger with any car. Also remember, speed is the biggest killer of range while pulling a trailer.