Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 tow hitch door dimension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the dimensions of the Model 3 tow hitch door?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Just a word to the wise for Model 3 owners. Do not get a tow hitch. I wanted to install the hitch on my model 3 for a bike rack. No company will install it, Tesla says it voids the warranty. No I'm out a bit of money on the hitch and the bike rack.

• Disagree
Reactions: SantaCruzOMB
Just a word to the wise for Model 3 owners. Do not get a tow hitch. I wanted to install the hitch on my model 3 for a bike rack. No company will install it, Tesla says it voids the warranty. No I'm out a bit of money on the hitch and the bike rack.
Considering that Tesla actually offers hitches on the Model 3 as optional equipment (such as in the UK), their claim that it voids the warranty smells like bovine feces.

Put a hitch on both of my model 3’s, and the egolf before that. EV’s tow great, but you only want a bike rack, so leave off the wiring and chain mounts (stealth hitch).

It doesn’t “void the warranty” in the US - the manufacturer would have to prove the item caused a failure of some sort - for example the hitch (made of steel) mounts to aluminum. Improperly installing the hitch without the plastic isolators will cause the aluminum to corrode. This would definitely void a warranty corrosion issue.

Dimensions include a curved side. Width is 17 11/16
Height max 6 3/16 min 5 5/8

No mm tools handy. The minimum height has a radius and may be off.

Last edited:
Dimensions include a curved side. Width is 17 11/16
Height max 6 3/16 min 5 5/8
@Two-rocks thank you for the reply.

I finally decided to get the part from Tesla (cost $11.00) not like the e-Bay for $139.99 !!!

Tesla Model 3 Tow Hitch Cover .jpg

eBay - 17-21 MODEL 3 Tow Hitch Cover .jpg

However I didn't bought the new Tesla diffuser (cost $130) also not like like this e-Bay for $219.99 !!!

eBay - 17-21 MODEL 3 Tow Hitch Diffuser .jpg

But I made my own version using four cabinets door magnets to attach the new tow hitch cover to the older diffuser.

MODEL 3 Tow Hitch Receiver Cover with Magnets  .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Walter Jacob