Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 tow package in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the things that's held me back from buying a model 3 or used S is the lack of support for towing a small trailer, and I'd heard that it was being offered as a factory option in Europe and that it might be coming to Australia as a factory option too.
I emailed Tesla support asking about the availability and got this response

"We don’t have confirmation either way if or when the factory tow package will be available in Australia yet however there’s no reason why you wouldn’t be able to get an aftermarket bar fitted"

I'd heard that the aftermarket tow bar for the S was problematic with the risk of galvanic corrosion, but the 3 is less of a risk with aftermarket options with its steel frame?

Has anyone put a tow bar onto a 3 in Australia yet?

So for the record, When I spoke to Tesla about this a couple of months back (I was waiting also - expecting it to be a factory fit option only like for Europe versions) I was told that:

a) The European one is factory fit option only due somehow to regulations in Europe.
b) that the Tesla hitch will become available in Australia - fitted by Tesla service centres - they just don't know when - and don't know how much.

That was I would guess late June or early July. At that point I put my order in - and have since received the car. (I was a reservation holder).

To be honest in the 3 weeks I've had it, I haven't even thought about the tow hitch.

One thing we know for sure is that the Model 3 is rated/approved for towing in Australia.
Non-P: 750kg unbraked / 1000kg braked
P: 500kg / 500kg
This can be found here >> https://rvcs.infrastructure.gov.au/perl/50079_1316046_RVD_19Jul2019083223.cmd
I've also heard secondhand that it will be available for retrofit from Tesla, but again no ETA.

Fun fact about the RCVS approval; LR RWD has also been certified in Australia!

One thing we know for sure is that the Model 3 is rated/approved for towing in Australia.
Non-P: 750kg unbraked / 1000kg braked
P: 500kg / 500kg
This can be found here >> https://rvcs.infrastructure.gov.au/perl/50079_1316046_RVD_19Jul2019083223.cmd
I've also heard secondhand that it will be available for retrofit from Tesla, but again no ETA.

Fun fact about the RCVS approval; LR RWD has also been certified in Australia!
I asked the Brisbane shop about when we can get the towing added to my car and they said, that though the car has been approved, the Tesla towing option has not yet been certified here, so once that certification comes through they can start being sold here. So I suspect that may take some time still.

I just saw a TOO video where Trevor installed an eco hitch. He said all 3's in North America are being shipped from factory with the trailer wiring loom already installed. A grey 3 pin connector was tucked in behind the rear bumper. Can any AU owners confirm if ours are coming like this yet?
2019-10-23%2020.33.16.jpg

Dropbox - 2019-10-23 20.33.16.jpg - Simplify your life

Well, my time is nigh! I’m picking up my car on Monday and the first questions I’ll have are, “when can I order the tow hitch, is the wiring loom already there, (and as I expect “I dunno”, (shrug)), can I speak with the manager?

Has anyone managed to get any information about this in the past two months?

Reactions: taco
I don't use FB either (but do not regret it!)
Would be interested in any info that could be posted here. Such as:

price
how long it took
any major challenges
where to obtain tow bar

I put an imported stealth tow bar on my PUG last year and it was a huge job involving removing much of the rear of the car. But the result was fantastic. I did swear then "Never again!"

Thanks,
Dave

Reactions: Hungry Mile
I imported it from Stealth via MyUS. Came to about $1500AUD for all the bits I needed for the complete Tow+Rack package.

You'll need to get these locally:

trailer parts, boat trailer parts, camper trailer parts, caravan parts, horse trailer parts box trailer parts. Ark Corporation - to protect the car from the trailer. I powered it from the OEM trailer module socket.

trailer parts, boat trailer parts, camper trailer parts, caravan parts, horse trailer parts, box trailer parts, towing gear. Ark Corporation - the included ball is 2" (50.8mm) so wont fit in many Australian trailers. You need a 1" shank as thats the size of the hole in the Stealth Hitch. The common shank here is 7/8".

For Aus/Euro cars with amber indicators the car wires are-

Left Turn - Purple
Right Turn - Red
Parking (Marker) - Yellow
Brake - Grey
Reverse - White

It took me most of a day to fit it. I'm a former Auto Electrician. Nothing particularly challenging about it.

I am part way through documenting the process on my blag, I should get time to finish that shortly.

I imported it from Stealth via MyUS. Came to about $1500AUD for all the bits I needed for the complete Tow+Rack package.
Thanks for the info. Very useful.

A few years ago I did the same for my Lexus CT200h and while successful it involved a lot of stuffing around and expense, especially to source a suitable hitch. I said then, never again, which I why I’m sweating on the OEM one.

We’re waiting on the Australian certification to be given to the OEM towing assembly.

• Love
Reactions: one4spl
We might have to wait until pent up demand for 3s drops sufficiently that tow bars, DAB+ et al rise up the priority chain. These are niche things that not everyone wants. In fact, the % requirement for tow bars is probably quite low. I definitely cannot put one on my Renault Zoe which means I hang onto my other ICE car for longer until one becomes available. I would also prefer a LR rather than SR+ but really cannot justify the extra $, a significant chunk of which goes to Luxury Car Tax and also Stamp Duties. So, my second EV purchase needs to wait a while longer. Here's hoping that the $AUS does not tank so far that the price hikes further and also that Govt plans for extra taxes on EVs do not eventuate.

Dave