Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 towing additions/improvements (?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
Having now done a handful of towing trips with the M3, I felt some improvements could be made.

I saw a version of a 90º electrics adapter in another thread and stumped out for one from these guys:

It’s a bit steep at £90 including shipping, but having bashed my knuckles a handful of times already removing plugs, I was willing to pay the price. It is essentially an off the shelf plug/socket with a 90º bit that’s been 3D printed and all put together by them. There are 3D printer schematics for those who wish to save some pennies and make it themselves. In my younger days when I had more time and less money I probably would have gone that route… I haven’t yet tried it in anger, as it arrived whilst we were away during our latest trip.

I also got a friend to 3D print a “towing cover” to stop dirt from getting in behind the bumper. I’m not sure why Tesla thought it would be a good idea to leave that entire area exposed as they could have simply provided another cover with the appropriate cutouts, but there we go…
This is the schematic for the cover:
Despite being specifically designed for the M3, I had to dremel some bits off to make it fit properly.

And here’s the result. I think it looks neat and should do nicely during longer trips:
2728E9D8-A23C-4D42-8FB0-37B463615D39.jpeg
B0F879AA-5F02-4C5D-9FF9-08D0DD67A617.jpeg
866515F9-73AC-4B9F-8596-9A291BCF704A.jpeg
7151D6BC-CAD9-4808-B4BD-1116BEFDBF3C.jpeg

Hi @Cardo

Used our bike rack in anger yesterday for the first time in nearly 3 years... what a palava the 13 pin connector was - not the thing you want to have to fight with at the end of the day. Took two of us 5-10 minutes to fit and still not be sure the plug was not going to work loose - couldn't get it to quite lock into place. Probably a bit more use and practise may make things easier. But it got me thinking of your post regarding the 90 degree 13 pin adaptor and cover plate.

Can I ask how you are getting on with this?

On their website, its now £65 (inc VAT) + shipping (without going through checkout that seems to be ~EU10) . Does that equate to your £90 by the time shipping in import is added? I'm always very wary of whether a euro website saying inc VAT means that they have done the UK VAT side of things and, in this case, nothing else needed to be paid.

Also, to top things off, might your friend be up for another cover?

-Ian

Having now done a handful of towing trips with the M3, I felt some improvements could be made.

I saw a version of a 90º electrics adapter in another thread and stumped out for one from these guys:

It’s a bit steep at £90 including shipping, but having bashed my knuckles a handful of times already removing plugs, I was willing to pay the price. It is essentially an off the shelf plug/socket with a 90º bit that’s been 3D printed and all put together by them. There are 3D printer schematics for those who wish to save some pennies and make it themselves. In my younger days when I had more time and less money I probably would have gone that route… I haven’t yet tried it in anger, as it arrived whilst we were away during our latest trip.

I also got a friend to 3D print a “towing cover” to stop dirt from getting in behind the bumper. I’m not sure why Tesla thought it would be a good idea to leave that entire area exposed as they could have simply provided another cover with the appropriate cutouts, but there we go…
This is the schematic for the cover:
Despite being specifically designed for the M3, I had to dremel some bits off to make it fit properly.

Hi @Cardo

Used our bike rack in anger yesterday for the first time in nearly 3 years... what a palava the 13 pin connector was - not the thing you want to have to fight with at the end of the day. Took two of us 5-10 minutes to fit and still not be sure the plug was not going to work loose - couldn't get it to quite lock into place. Probably a bit more use and practise may make things easier. But it got me thinking of your post regarding the 90 degree 13 pin adaptor and cover plate.

Can I ask how you are getting on with this?

On their website, its now £65 (inc VAT) + shipping (without going through checkout that seems to be ~EU10) . Does that equate to your £90 by the time shipping in import is added? I'm always very wary of whether a euro website saying inc VAT means that they have done the UK VAT side of things and, in this case, nothing else needed to be paid.

Also, to top things off, might your friend be up for another cover?

-Ian
The price for the adapter seems about what I saw. Shipping isn’t cheap, but I think they take into account the UK customs palaver (when I ordered, it took them a few days to actually ship it as they said they were sorting out the customs procedures). When I first tried to order it, shipping came out to something like £250! Fortunately, it was a glitch on their website… The website states they charge VAT, so if customs did kick up a fuss, you’d have a valid argument for a refund. Though, I had no issues.

As for the adapter itself, it’s great. I fit it at the start of the trip and leave it connected until we’re back home. Makes connecting and disconnecting the trailer electrics far easier and quicker. Connecting the 13 pin plugs does get easier with practice, though, as you work out how to hold it and only twist the outer part in order to engage the lock. You need to make sure the sprung socket cover ends up on the circular section of the plug to ensure it’s held in place.

Alas, my friend is more of a neighbour acquaintance, so not really someone I wish to impose upon for more than my requirements! However, there are people of people on Etsy or elsewhere who offer 3D printing services.

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
I found this on thingiverse for those of you with options to print yourself.
Includes a link to the parts needed to complete the build.

That’s the exact same thing the German place sell, only they assemble it for you.

Works a treat.

This is brilliant. Thank you @Cardo

You can also get the part from Tesla for around £10 and cut yourself… if anyone is interested.

Part number
1135412-00-A / KAM19005

Attachments

• D92E6B61-39F6-48C3-95BE-9853FBFCD184.png
    D92E6B61-39F6-48C3-95BE-9853FBFCD184.png
    193 KB · Views: 118
  • Helpful
Reactions: Adopado and Cardo
Thought that you may be on to something there @CMc1 but, from an armchair perspective, rather than crawling on hot asphalt to get the real picture, I think there may be a couple of obstacles.

Looking at how the 3D printed unit seems to fit, there appears to be two complete cutouts, one rear left, and one rear centre - unfortunately, where 2 out of 3 support lugs go... So looks like an alternate method of supporting the rear of the flap would be needed. I suspect, its probably a waxy plastic which will not be very forgiving with long term, potentially environmentally challenging gluing of additional support lugs.

Hope I'm wrong on this and that alternative supports for rear left and centre is easier than that,

I've also asked for a price guide from someone on how much to 3D print the cover and angle adaptor so will post when I get a response.

This is brilliant. Thank you @Cardo

You can also get the part from Tesla for around £10 and cut yourself… if anyone is interested.

Part number
1135412-00-A / KAM19005

Last edited:
I've also asked for a price guide from someone on how much to 3D print the cover and angle adaptor so will post when I get a response.

For anyone new to costs of 3D printing (like me), I got a quote from someone on Etsy for approx £20 for the electrics 90 degree adaptor and £56 for the cover plate. This is PETG - again, no experience of the characteristics of the different materials but the printer person obviously knows their stuff and says it should be suitable for the application, even having a little bit of flex in it.

These seem very reasonable to me, especially considering the time to print. But if I can modify a £10 part instead of a £56 step into the unknown, that would be a worthwhile saving. Assuming everything worked as planned, the electrics adaptor would probably come in around £40/£45 plus my time (although sourcing compatible parts is a bit of an unknown from UK suppliers) is a worthwhile saving over £90, but probably not £66 if I was in Europe.

For anyone new to costs of 3D printing (like me), I got a quote from someone on Etsy for approx £20 for the electrics 90 degree adaptor and £56 for the cover plate. This is PETG - again, no experience of the characteristics of the different materials but the printer person obviously knows their stuff and says it should be suitable for the application, even having a little bit of flex in it.

These seem very reasonable to me, especially considering the time to print. But if I can modify a £10 part instead of a £56 step into the unknown, that would be a worthwhile saving. Assuming everything worked as planned, the electrics adaptor would probably come in around £40/£45 plus my time (although sourcing compatible parts is a bit of an unknown from UK suppliers) is a worthwhile saving over £90, but probably not £66 if I was in Europe.
Just to be clear for "the uninitiated" neither of these parts is really necessary. Most people who have been successfully towing don't have them. Nice to have, I imagine.

Thought that you may be on to something there @CMc1 but, from an armchair perspective, rather than crawling on hot asphalt to get the real picture, I think there may be a couple of obstacles.

Looking at how the 3D printed unit seems to fit, there appears to be two complete cutouts, one rear left, and one rear centre - unfortunately, where 2 out of 3 support lugs go... So looks like an alternate method of supporting the rear of the flap would be needed. I suspect, its probably a waxy plastic which will not be very forgiving with long term, potentially environmentally challenging gluing of additional support lugs.

Hope I'm wrong on this and that alternative supports for rear left and centre is easier than that,

I believe I can clarify some of the confusion.

The standard cover has three tabs facing the rear and two “screws” at the front that hold it in place. The central tab at the rear is smaller than the two outer ones. There are then two different style tabs at either side, that also assist in holding the cover in place.

Here’s what my 3D printed version looks like when it’s not fitted:
484CA7A4-E78F-4890-A581-B9B4CB555BD5.jpeg

The reason it’s in two pieces is because home 3D printers are not big enough. The two halves are practically the maximum size a standard home 3D printer can produce. As you can see, three out of four side tabs have broken off. This is because the plastic used is simply too hard and brittle, whilst these tabs require flexibility to work. However, these aren’t really necessary, as the cover fits securely with just the two rear tabs and the two screws.

I think the best solution may be to procure a replacement cover from Tesla and cut the appropriate holes as above. I think this may be my next project.

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
This is because the plastic used is simply too hard and brittle, whilst these tabs require flexibility to work.

Do you know what type of material was used for the printing?

Presumably that is also the Mk1 version that required gluing the two halves together? There is a newer version that requires no gluing.

Does anyone know the part codes for the cover and the two screws?

Part number
1135412-00-A / KAM19005

Screws should be listed in the EPC Parts Catalog

Last edited:
Do you know what type of material was used for the printing?

Presumably that is also the Mk1 version that required gluing the two halves together? There is a newer version that requires no gluing.

Screws should be listed in the EPC Parts Catalog
No gluing, there’s a middle piece that two halves slide onto to attach them. When not in use, I separate them to make them easier to stow.

Thanks for the link. I’ve emailed Tesla sales to see if they can supply the parts…

So Tesla told me to set up a service appointment through the app requesting the parts. Unfortunately, I couldn’t set up a new appointment as I already had one to replace the harness in the charge port. However, I’m at the SC today so spoke with the lady on the counter and I’ve now ordered a new cover and a couple of fasteners. Invoice comes to £9.48, so quite reasonable and probably cheaper than ordering a 3D print off the interwebs. They reckon the parts should arrive next week, so not long until I find out whether this works…

Ok, here is Towing cover mark 2. A butchered official tow cover.

I used my 3d printed cover (which isn’t holding up well, the plastic used is too brittle) as a template to chop up the new one. I have to say I think this is definitely the way to go. The plastic is much more pliable yet still sturdy, so it fits neatly and holds in place despite having the central tab removed.

For anyone doing this, pro tip: you only need to order the cover. It comes with the fasteners, so you don’t need to spend the extra 50p on fasteners like I did!

Pics attached. Excuse my poor workmanship. I really should get a jigsaw.

Attachments

• CB6A43C9-EFD7-4A44-88F2-D85C042E1E13.jpeg
    CB6A43C9-EFD7-4A44-88F2-D85C042E1E13.jpeg
    544.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 0C5F916F-CFAF-4CAD-8B20-AAB5CD59AE56.jpeg
    0C5F916F-CFAF-4CAD-8B20-AAB5CD59AE56.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 9E4BFAB7-4049-49E0-B914-585865463D99.jpeg
    9E4BFAB7-4049-49E0-B914-585865463D99.jpeg
    371.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 24160848-3864-49F2-816A-7FF2383056D5.jpeg
    24160848-3864-49F2-816A-7FF2383056D5.jpeg