Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
I've got a Model 3 (LR AWD) on order, complete with tow bar. I fly gliders had need the bar for towing the trailer. A typical gilder trailer, with glider inside, is about 500-600kg. They are pretty long (typically about 8m), but have a much lower and smaller profile than a caravan so they have much better aerodynamics. So, the question is, how much will range likely be affected? On my current BMW 335i, the trailer adds about a 20% hit. I'm hoping this will be similar on the M3. Has anyone any experience of towing with theirs?

I hope yours arrives soon! Thank you for the link. That is the first confirmation that I have seen of a M3 towing a glider and it is great news!
I am scheduled for delivery in two days and I am just ordering the hitch. I fly an LS-3 based at Nephi, Utah which is about 90 miles away. I keep it in a hangar so I really only need tow it for landouts and to my garage for winter maintenance.

I love the LS3. Lovely glider. I fly an LS8t now. That's lovely too! My own towing needs aren't huge, but I do like to do the occasional expedition to clubs in other parts of the UK and sometimes France. I've played around with A Better Route Planner and even with a fairly pessimistic consumption figure I think the Model 3 won't stop me doing any of these trips.

Reactions: CMc1
I (plan to) tow a 5m boat and see about 10% MPG hit on the current ICE with it. Hoping that holds true to the M3 - I have been plotting aerodynamic tweaks to the packed boat to minimise the impact. My main concern is going to be supercharging with a huge trailer - I can see lots of manual wheeling around car parks coming up if I need to get down to the south coast or norther Italy.

Well, I picked up my Model 3 today and it is revolutionary from any ICE or my 2013 Leaf! It will make my 90 mile commute to the glider field a more relaxed experience and I'll have more energy left for flying, not to mention less of a carbon impact as I have rooftop solar for the charge. Now only if the towplane were electric. Thinking about an FES ship in the future.
My hitch arrives next week so I'll report on towing the trailer with it. Thankfully mine has the removable panel for the hitch.

Well, I picked up my Model 3 today and it is revolutionary from any ICE or my 2013 Leaf! It will make my 90 mile commute to the glider field a more relaxed experience and I'll have more energy left for flying, not to mention less of a carbon impact as I have rooftop solar for the charge. Now only if the towplane were electric. Thinking about an FES ship in the future.
My hitch arrives next week so I'll report on towing the trailer with it. Thankfully mine has the removable panel for the hitch.
Fantastic! Please do post back on your experiences towing. Would really like to hear consumption when towing.

FES - yes, that's what I'd like too. There are some electric self launchers coming onto the market now too.

Are you getting an after market tow hitch? Or are you not UK based?

Hi all,

Thought i'd resurrect an old post.

Does anybody have any experience of using the tow hitch with bike racks, storage boxes or small trailers?

Some photos and recommended items would be good. Also how much range reduction these cause.

You need to watch the reduced weight limit for non wheeled accessories like bike racks. 54kg total may be a problem with multiple bikes or e-bikes.

Otherwise this may help Bike rack drain

I bought a Thule Easy Fold after taking back the previously purchased Thule Velo Compact that in its box nearly did not fit in the boot of our previous Passat Estate. More than I initially wanted to spend, and a bit of a wait for stock at Halfords, but after price match, flash bank holiday discount and AA breakdown membership, it wasn't quite so bad - cheaper than anywhere else. Very easy to fit and fold up, but electrics and tow hitch a bit fiddly but i'm sure it gets easier with time.

Not tried it in anger yet, but this was a test for electrics and clearance - we are on a slope.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-6_12-43-40.png
    upload_2020-3-6_12-43-40.png
    2 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Many thanks for the response. So the 54kg is maximum weight for a bike rack/ storage box? Seems very low, as you say thats pushing it for 2/3 bikes plus the weight of the rack.

The one you have looks smart. Can you still access the boot with it on?

You need to watch the reduced weight limit for non wheeled accessories like bike racks. 54kg total may be a problem with multiple bikes or e-bikes.

Otherwise this may help Bike rack drain

I bought a Thule Easy Fold after taking back the previously purchased Thule Velo Compact that in its box nearly did not fit in the boot of our previous Passat Estate. More than I initially wanted to spend, and a bit of a wait for stock at Halfords, but after price match, flash bank holiday discount and AA breakdown membership, it wasn't quite so bad - cheaper than anywhere else. Very easy to fit and fold up, but electrics and tow hitch a bit fiddly but i'm sure it gets easier with time.

Not tried it in anger yet, but this was a test for electrics and clearance - we are on a slope.
Hi. What was wrong with the velo compact? Did it not fit? Thx

In its box (decision based upon not opening the box as I wanted an easy return), it was huge in relation to our then current Passat Estate boot so, without having a car to check against, I guess it would be marginal at best in it fitting inside a Model 3 boot and just wanted to be sure. The ergonomics, such as storing, the EasyFold was, and is, much better. So it was the right change for us.