Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 TPMS sensors are junk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
When I received my Model 3 it had over-inflated tires that my accu-gage showed at 49-50psi. I dropped tire pressure on all 4 wheels to 42 psi (again per my accu-gage).

Now that temps are getting colder, TPMS sensors are tripping alarms in the cockpit. TPMS sensors showed that all four wheels were between 37-39psi. I put my gage on and it shows that they are at 42-43 psi. So, I aired them up to 45 psi (per my gage) and the vehicle is now reading them at 39-40 and still shows them in alarm.

A couple of points here;

1. There should be a way of calibrating the TPMS sensors if they are clearly off by a substantial amount from real world measurements.
2. The low pressure threshold throwing warning alarms at *gasp* 39 psi is absurd. Especially considering that this is OVER the tire pressure that many TRUCKS run at that weigh substantially more than Model 3.
3. The extremely high tire pressure is probably good for squeezing out a bit more efficiency, but it's laughable that Tesla is forcing this with super high TPMS thresholds when they also offer 19 and 20 inch factory rims that have a far bigger impact on efficiency then choosing to run the tires at 40-42 psi to improve the ride characteristics (harshness) that come with super high tire pressures.

When I received my Model 3 it had over-inflated tires that my accu-gage showed at 49-50psi. I dropped tire pressure on all 4 wheels to 42 psi (again per my accu-gage).

Now that temps are getting colder, TPMS sensors are tripping alarms in the cockpit. TPMS sensors showed that all four wheels were between 37-39psi. I put my gage on and it shows that they are at 42-43 psi. So, I aired them up to 45 psi (per my gage) and the vehicle is now reading them at 39-40 and still shows them in alarm.

A couple of points here;

1. There should be a way of calibrating the TPMS sensors if they are clearly off by a substantial amount from real world measurements.
2. The low pressure threshold throwing warning alarms at *gasp* 39 psi is absurd. Especially considering that this is OVER the tire pressure that many TRUCKS run at that weigh substantially more than Model 3.
3. The extremely high tire pressure is probably good for squeezing out a bit more efficiency, but it's laughable that Tesla is forcing this with super high TPMS thresholds when they also offer 19 and 20 inch factory rims that have a far bigger impact on efficiency then choosing to run the tires at 40-42 psi to improve the ride characteristics (harshness) that come with super high tire pressures.

Completely agree. I thought it was just my car and was waiting on contacting service until having to take it in for more important issues. The car is reporting that each tire is down 3-4 PSI from what two different tire gauges read. Annoying because it trips the low tire pressure warning far earlier than it needs to be and although I'd like to run at 42 PSI, I fill keep them at 45 PSI just so I don't have to deal with the warnings as often.

Please send this feedback to Tesla directly. Nobody here can do much to improve the situation.

I realize this and am just venting.

At the same time, thinking we have any way of getting through to tesla with feedback like this is laughable. They can't even answer their phones with people dying to give them $60,000 for a new car.

I have the car in for service on Thursday next week and will probably mention it to them then, not that anything will come of it.

Completely agree. I thought it was just my car and was waiting on contacting service until having to take it in for more important issues. The car is reporting that each tire is down 3-4 PSI from what two different tire gauges read. Annoying because it trips the low tire pressure warning far earlier than it needs to be and although I'd like to run at 42 PSI, I fill keep them at 45 PSI just so I don't have to deal with the warnings as often.

Since I'm still getting alarms at 45 psi I will have to go even higher, 47-49 psi just to get the idiot alarms to clear. It seems as though the sensors aren't reading very well at lower temperatures, so I'm supposed to drive around on rock hard balloons all winter because Tesla thinks we need cockpit warnings over what it thinks is 40psi but is really 45 psi. It's just sad.... at a minimum let me lower the warning to something a little more sane like 32-35 psi or something like that. It's not like I'm going to damage the car or the tires running them at 42 psi.

I realize this and am just venting.

At the same time, thinking we have any way of getting through to tesla with feedback like this is laughable. They can't even answer their phones with people dying to give them $60,000 for a new car.

I have the car in for service on Thursday next week and will probably mention it to them then, not that anything will come of it.

I've always gotten at least an acknowledgment of a bug or suggestion after sending a message through my Tesla account page and checking the "send for executive review" options.

Since I'm still getting alarms at 45 psi I will have to go even higher, 47-49 psi just to get the idiot alarms to clear. It seems as though the sensors aren't reading very well at lower temperatures, so I'm supposed to drive around on rock hard balloons all winter because Tesla thinks we need cockpit warnings over what it thinks is 40psi but is really 45 psi. It's just sad.... at a minimum let me lower the warning to something a little more sane like 32-35 psi or something like that. It's not like I'm going to damage the car or the tires running them at 42 psi.

Something's wrong if you're still getting alarms at 45 PSI. Though they all read lower than what I'm measuring, the warning doesn't trip until 37 PSI is sensed (which is annoying because for me it's like at 40-41 PSI, which is still fine).

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
My 3 gauges (none that fancy) are within 1 pound of what TPMS is reading.

I also wonder if the TPMS system is sensing sudden change and it's not an absolute pressure warning.

That it is tracking history?

They are slightly off from my gauges, more than other cars in the past. But not that far off. They were consistent with one another.

• Helpful
Reactions: North75
I've always gotten at least an acknowledgment of a bug or suggestion after sending a message through my Tesla account page and checking the "send for executive review" options.

Something's wrong if you're still getting alarms at 45 PSI. Though they all read lower than what I'm measuring, the warning doesn't trip until 37 PSI is sensed (which is annoying because for me it's like at 40-41 PSI, which is still fine).

I'll take a picture next time I drive it since I haven't gone out to freeze my nuts off and top them up more. I was driving back and all tires were reading 40 or 41 psi and 3 of the 4 were in alarm.

Being an engineer this is the kind of thing that will really put my knickers in a twist. Not everyone lives in SoCal where they consider 60 a cold snap.

• Funny
Reactions: Runebane
I'll take a picture next time I drive it since I haven't gone out to freeze my nuts off and top them up more. I was driving back and all tires were reading 40 or 41 psi and 3 of the 4 were in alarm.

Being an engineer this is the kind of thing that will really put my knickers in a twist. Not everyone lives in SoCal where they consider 60 a cold snap.
TPMS sensors showed that all four wheels were between 37-39psi. I put my gage on and it shows that they are at 42-43 psi.

Temperature should cause a pressure change, but in this case the issue is likely that Colorado air pressure is less than STP and TPMS sensors measure absolute pressure. Your gauge is using differential pressure to ambient, that is likely the source of the ~3 psi offset. Boulder is 2.5 PSI lower and Denver is 2.7 PSI lower than sea level.

ICE cars can use the MAP as a baro to correct. I'm not sure how Tesla handles this (GPS altitude based?).

Temperature should cause a pressure change, but in this case the issue is likely that Colorado air pressure is less than STP and TPMS sensors measure absolute pressure. Your gauge is using differential pressure to ambient, that is likely the source of the ~3 psi offset. Boulder is 2.5 PSI lower and Denver is 2.7 PSI lower than sea level.

ICE cars can use the MAP as a baro to correct. I'm not sure how Tesla handles this (GPS altitude based?).

Good observations, I will bring up with Tesla to see if this has come up before.

Gauge I'm using is Accu-Gage EZ-02. Measurements it takes are actually within 1 psi or so on my other 3 vehicles.

A couple of points here;

I assume you've confirmed that your gauge is good? Of course it's always possible that you have 4 bad TPMS sensors, but it's more likely you have 1 bad tire gauge.

TPMS in both my Model 3 and Model X match within 1 PSI of my hand-held gauge.

EDIT: I see you posted while I was posting. It's certainly not an issue across all Model 3s, but if you know your gauge is good, there may be something wrong with the TPMS in your car.

I assume you've confirmed that your gauge is good? Of course it's always possible that you have 4 bad TPMS sensors, but it's more likely you have 1 bad tire gauge.

TPMS in both my Model 3 and Model X match within 1 PSI of my hand-held gauge.

EDIT: I see you posted while I was posting. It's certainly not an issue across all Model 3s, but if you know your gauge is good, there may be something wrong with the TPMS in your car.

I check all my vehicles tires with this gage and it gives results within 1 psi of what the TPMS sensors in those cars show.

I do have something like 4 tire gauges though and am happy to validate it when it's not 30 degrees outside.

I agree. That would also mean though the TPMS sensors in my other vehicles are using MAF or other means of detecting the elevation and automatically adjusting the sensor readings. The other cars are BMW or Honda.

Yah, MAP sensors, also absolute, give ambient pressure readings with the engine off. But Teslas have no manifold to read the pressure of....

2 1/2 months ago I lowered the pressure to 42. Lately they've read 39-40 cold. This morning, the alert went on that one was 37. I went to my mechanic with a digital hose and they were all within a psi of what the car said. I put 42 in. Alert went off. I trust the car.