TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 TPMS Sensors

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Trainwrecks, May 23, 2018.

1. Trainwrecks

Trainwrecks Member

Has anyone had experience with tpms sensors on the Model 3? Will the system recognize 2 sets of tires with tpms (ie. a winter set and a summer set)? Or will they have to be re-programmed each season?

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

I would expect it to just recognize the new sensors when the different wheels/tires are mounted and sync with them automatically. This is what my 2012 Mustang was able to do, so if the Model 3 can’t handle that it would be pretty sad.

3. McFlurri

McFlurri Member

I sure hope so. Just bought some aftermarket rims and TPMS programmed to Model 3

4. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

Yes, I can put your mind at ease. When you switch wheels, the car will (give it a few miles of driving) pop up a message saying it detected new wheels and asking you to confirm the size. Pretty slick, IMHO. Each set of TPMS has to be programmed to the Model 3, of course, but swapping should cause no issues at all.

• Informative x 1
  5. Trainwrecks

Trainwrecks Member

I would expect it too but my Lexus IS 250 needs to have the tires reprogrammed every time I switch from winter to summer tires. Hoping to hear someone that has already experienced this.

6. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

I thought I just confirmed that it works, but maybe I misunderstood your question. What do you mean your "tires" have to be reprogrammed? Are you going to have two sets of wheels, one with summer tires and one with winter, and each with its own set of TPMS sensors? If so, I can confirm that works.

7. Trainwrecks

Trainwrecks Member

You did. I was replying to a previous message and had not seen yours at the time. Thanks for the response.

8. tyboat

tyboat New Member

Do you know if ANY tpms sensors will work? I know some sensors work at different frequencies. I'm looking at some aftermarket wheels for the winter and they come with sensors that work at 315 MHz but I think (though not sure) model 3 sensors work at 433 MHz.

9. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Call Tire Rack they more than likely already know which sensors work.

• Like x 1
  10. timk225

timk225 Active Member

Do you have to do anything to the sensors when rotating the tires so each one reports the correct corner of the car?

11. VT_EE

VT_EE Member

Good point. How does the car know where each wheel is located without you programming it somehow?

12. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

I would like to know this as well.

13. mattk926

mattk926 Member

Have multiple BMW's with TPMS and getting the model 3 friday. It should "auto detect" where each sensor is located for each wheel when it is "reset" user doesnt have to do anything as it should be able to "triangulate" the location of each sensor in relation to wheel location. These engineers have thought of everything.

14. VT_EE

VT_EE Member

Good info, thanks! This will make rotating tires myself much easier.