Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Track Day: Laguna Seca

Will the Model 3 battery limit power on the track?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if Tesla constantly changes parts, they HAVE, I repeat, HAVE to have
some "consumables" in stock. It's not like they have an option.
If, for example, there are 555 Model 3's with Version 3.8b brake pads that were
produced between 4th and 6th February they have to have compatible pads in stock
for approx 20 years. Otherwise it's reasonable to sue them for not supplying
parts for vehicles they produced. And no, brake calipers, if not stated anywhere
in the contract BEFORE PURCHASE, can't be sold as "must buy a kit".
Other manufacturers also change parts often. There are two types of version:
those that are backward compatible and those that are not. Manufacturer can't
force customer to buy something else because they don't have compatible part
in stock. They have to. If they don't have any more, they have to provide a way
to upgrade (for free). Or they have to have a newer part that fits all those 555
vehicles. And they also have to have parts for all vehicles made before those.
Those 555 Model 3's will not all disappear during next two decades. There is no
reason to have zero replacements in stock, ever. It's reasonable to have reasonable
stock starting from day one. For 20 years. And brake pads are easy. Expected
life 60 000 miles, expected vehicle life 300 000 miles average. 4 replacement sets
for each vehicle. Multiply by 555. Minimum stock required 2220 sets. Make a contract
with supplier for 20 years or order ahead if not possible. Total spending is very low.
But it's reasonable to have one, latest, backward compatible pad version, for a group
of VINs. Usually no less than at least half of variants (usually facelift is the midline)
per vehicle model. So pads version 5.5 for all pre 2022 and version 9.9 for all the rest.
When there are hundreds of thousands of vehicles made for any specific part that
is easy to sell, competitors will wake up and offer aftermarket replacements but OEM
must have something to offer.

As of right now, BMW dealership still provides me an option to get WHATEVER part
I need. And my bimmer is from 2001. AFAIK, parts for 5-series made til 1997 started
to phase out few years ago. I expect phase out of my model to start at around 2022.
There are parts that are not in stock and ordering them might take a month. But those
are not parts that are hot sellers like TPMS sensors, pads, wipers, windscreens,
but rather seats, instrument clusters, speakers etc.

I expect to get MY2018 Model 3 compatible brake pads (only pads, OEM) from Tesla
in 2038. Especially if Model 3 is produced for expected 7-10 years. If this is not going
to happen, then I'm not getting a vehicle I can't use for a decade. Not now nor second
hand.

I remember Tesla stating "we don't want to get rich for supplying parts".
I hope they didn't mean: "we don't sell you parts at all" or "we sell you the whole
front axle if you need to fix something small for no profit margin at all".

PS: Just checked a random printer from HP bought I bought in 1999. Yes, they still
have those disgustingly expensive ink cartridges for sale. This is how things work.
Even though there have been at least few hundred new printer models for sale, they
still offer that cartridge.

It's asking why the op can't buy brake pads for a car that's been on the market for 8 months.

And he already answered that in his post about the repair:

Tesla currently doesn't offer Model 3 pads for sale by themselves. Not an option at all...YET. Apparently, Brembo doesn't YET sell Tesla Model 3 brake pads separately from the brake system (rotors/pads/calipers), so complete set needs to be replaced...at this point in time. Yes...that is rough, but that is what is happening right now.

And my guess would be that Brembo doesn't current sell them separately because Tesla hasn't requested them separately. Most likely because they thought they had plenty of time to deal with that before anyone would need them. (Tesla probably only order kits. Though it is weird that they have part numbers, even named as a kit for the linings and springs, and prices for everything individually. Really, even if they parts didn't come separately they should have broken the bundle apart, after all they have the prices for the different pieces. If I were him I would have escalated this to the executives to say that he was overcharged by them making him buy more parts than were necessary, especially since they billed all of the parts individually.)

And for all we know because of him Tesla has ordered the parts individually from Brembo and already has them in stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Because if they code to make a car they'd make a car. I'm responding because I'm waiting for you to answer the question.
If they code to make a car? What kind of code do they need to make EVs? C++, Lisp, C#, Java? Being in SV, no wonder Tesla's kicking butt! :p

Speaking of which, how do you know that if they code to make a car they'd make a car? Were you having lunch with the CEOs of every real automaker and they told you if the code they would (woud ;))?

Even if Tesla constantly changes parts, they HAVE, I repeat, HAVE to have
some "consumables" in stock. It's not like they have an option.
That's correct, but given the "money problem" Tesla has at the moment, is clear the "why" they don't have stock if they can order it anytime.
Of course they have to it's a legal requirement.

Other manufacturers also change parts often.
not so often, but that's beside the point, as you said ( and it's totally correct ) they must have the part

Manufacturer can't
force customer to buy something else because they don't have compatible part
in stock. They have to.
compatible, that's the key, they don't have to stock pile now because this will means that they stock pile "old parts", and if the part are retro-compatible it's a suicide to stock pile old parts since you will never sell it
In this departement i know that [ same OEM as before ] have a software that tell them what to stock and what NOT to stock to minimize the waste based on how much they produced, of this specific part, if it's compatible etc etc etc.

There is no reason to have zero replacements in stock, ever. It's reasonable to have reasonable
stock starting from day one. For 20 years.
I'm not sure about that, i think you are out of reality if you really think that they really keep this amount of old pieces in stock for 20 years, it's not how it's happening.
They make retrofit kit if the piece is big/expansive/not expected to broke down for X years, your strategy it's completely off the line with the market, sorry to burst your happy bubble.

As of right now, BMW dealership still provides me an option to get WHATEVER part
I need.
Yes, as said before, it's not an option to "not provide", it's a legal requirement, the point is just: the pad NEED to be "out of a kit" or not?
I really don't know, and they could justify this telling you that the pad life is expected the same as the caliper or similar so it's sold as a kit.

But those
are not parts that are hot sellers like TPMS sensors, pads, wipers, windscreens,
but rather seats, instrument clusters, speakers etc.
what is a hot seller for an electric car could differ from what is an hot seller for a classic car, you get the point?
and i'm not sure there is a legal requirement about "time", ( there is? ) so they could simply say "if you want it, just wait a couple of month"

There is DOT3 requirement marked, but actually, Tesla uses DOT4 (better than than requirement).
There is no need to change fluid before 2 years.
DOT 4 is not "better". You trade higher boiling temp for higher hygroscopicity, which means you need to change it more often or risk corroding your brake system. For a non-tracked car you do NOT want this.

Do you have a Hawk part number for the Tesla Model 3 pads? When I do a Parts Search by Vehicle, Tesla is not an option in the drop down.

Ditto. This caliper has to be out of the standard Brembo parts catalog so there should already be a compatible pad.

Trying to make the KW event at streets of willow this Friday. Hook a brother up with a part number please!