Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Track Mode V2...RIP BMW M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, BMW M3 is supposed to have better handling and yet it is slower on tighter, slower tracks?
Does not compute.

Just like "speed" covers many regimes (low speed acceleration vs top end), handling is more nuanced than just "turns well". Could mean stability, roadholding, responsiveness, balance, etc.

Short tracks favors rapid low end accel, and doesnt demand high load braking or high speeds.

Does that compute?

M3 has a more balanced handling feel. It’s significantly down on power compared to a Performance 3 though so it can’t get the times the Performance 3 can get.
M3 has better power to weight than a Model 3, that's why it has a higher trap speed in the 1/4 mile. The Model 3 is quicker to 60mph due to AWD and not having to spend time shifting. The Model 3 loses power at high speeds, the M3 doesn't.

M3 has better power to weight than a Model 3, that's why it has a higher trap speed in the 1/4 mile. The Model 3 is quicker to 60mph due to AWD and not having to spend time shifting. The Model 3 loses power at high speeds, the M3 doesn't.

The M3 competition has 444hp with 3600lb car at the crank. A Model 3 is pushing 500hp (with the 2 updates) with significantly less powertrain loss. Assuming the M3 has 400hp at the wheels, you are pushing 9lbs per horsepower vs. 8lbs per horsepower for the Model 3 with almost no loss comparatively at the wheels. On a short track, the Model 3 does really well but anything that is longer, the M3 will be much better. I also agree that the M3 feels more balanced.

Reactions: Okninja
With a 100 kWh model 3 seemingly coming, and possibly with Ludicrous and hopefully other track oriented goodies, I could easily see a new higher end P3D version becoming a track monster.

citation.jpg

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: focher and WilliamG
I just checked the Nurburgring lap times wiki
first M3 (GTS coupe E92,2011) 7:48
first model 3 (performance, duh) 9:00
Oh and the 9:00 are on a shorter track. (19,100 m versus 20,600 m)

The 9 minute time was with traffic and not really a serious run. I'm very confident we will be seeing a legit lap at the Ring in the near future and it will be much better than that.

Reactions: MP3Mike
At a very narrow range of speeds. It drops off significantly at higher speeds.View attachment 520619
At the same high state of charge, you lose ~100hp in the upper speeds which then equalizes with the M3 in terms of horsepower. On a short track, the M3 is at a significant disadvantage due to this horsepower difference and that was my point. Most of the times posted have been on short tracks where the Tesla's horsepower advantage posts faster times.

Yes and said hacker has also pointed out Tesla often puts things in the code that never actually happen. Or in some cases do, but not for years after the code appears.

Yes I know. It's just an observation. It could mean nothing. But I'd like to be hopeful and think that it means something. With Tesla guaranteed a new battery technology with higher energy density, likely announced next month - I would say it's highly probable they could do a 100 kWh pack in the same form factor in the next iteration of the car.

Yes I know. It's just an observation. It could mean nothing. But I'd like to be hopeful and think that it means something. With Tesla guaranteed a new battery technology with higher energy density, likely announced next month - I would say it's highly probable they could do a 100 kWh pack in the same form factor in the next iteration of the car.

They probably could- but it seems incredibly unlikely they'd put it in the lowest-margin, highest # sold, model they already can't build fast enough until they've already brought it to ever other higher end model first.

Plaid, and >400 miles on the S, both of which we know for a fact are coming this year, are gonna need more battery. That's where it'd go first. So S, then X and Roadster 2.0.

Then probably the semi and cybertruck to support the promised high ranges without taking as bad a towing hit as folks suggest they'd have to with current batteries.

So will they EVENTUALLY come to 3/Y? Sure, probably.

This year? Almost 100% no.

Even next year? Depends on quickly they can ramp production beyond all the other products it's more likely to go into first.

F80 M3 Makes a LOT more power than advertised and is probably making on the order of 485hp. Just browse around at stock dyno plots.

I love my P3D, but I would certainly rather track an M3 for the following reasons
1) a tuned F80 M3 makes WAY WAY more power than a P3D.
2) you can ride that powerband all day long thanks to the miracle of transmissions.
3) brakes brakes brakes.
4) Wrist shaker - fun is literally 100% of the fun
5) Adjustable suspension
6) 5 minutes at the gas pump
7) Corn Baby, CORN! 550WHP/550WTQ anyone? an E85 powered M3 is face melting.
8) because the 2020/2021 M3 will be available in AWD and make north of 500hp
9) Because the car is actually designed to be abused on a track.
10) Oh that sweet sweet noise.

I mean come on guys. You cant argue that the Model 3 is a track car. Yes you can upgrade its brakes and suspension and bushings and coax it into turning some hot laps. But you can drive an M3 off of the lot, straight to the track, and smash the *sugar* out of it until your blue in the face.

I LOVE my P3D. A track weapon from the factory it is not. If you want a tarted up econobox to take racing, get a Subaru STi.