Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Track Mode V2...RIP BMW M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What matters is pace of innovation.
After 'the real' M3 comes out and flops, BMW will have to wait a few more years for a another chance.
Which may never come.

BMW has been making terrible choices when it comes to driver engagement and most recently design choices. No argument from me there. But one thing the M3/M4 have been consistent about is the performance on paper. I have no doubt that the new M3 will NOT be a flop when it comes to handling/power delivery and basically any performance measure compared to the predecessor. It will be difficult to compensate for the extra weight of the M3P regardless of how clever the software update is.

I think the title says it all

Let me know when a software update is able to defy the laws of physics and reduce the curb weight ;). You can only compensate so much with clever coding. Tesla needs to design a lighter weight battery or release a lower capacity track version of the model 3 to compete with the newer generation of performance cars of the future.

I"ve owned a couple BMW M3's in the past, an E36 and an E46. Don't miss them. You can assume that when the Model 3 performance becomes faster around the track than the BMW, the automotive press will bemoan "the lack of soul". That's press-speak for I can't find any objective means of preferring the BMW so I will talk about the soul of an inanimate object. Apparently what qualifies as soul is a loud noise.

I"ve owned a couple BMW M3's in the past, an E36 and an E46. Don't miss them. You can assume that when the Model 3 performance becomes faster around the track than the BMW, the automotive press will bemoan "the lack of soul". That's press-speak for I can't find any objective means of preferring the BMW so I will talk about the soul of an inanimate object. Apparently what qualifies as soul is a loud noise.

This might be a valid thesis ... except the press talked about this conundrum before the Model 3 ever existed.

There are characteristics that people do enjoy that aren't fully quantifiable. A diesel can be louder than a petrol but less pleasing. 1 steering rack can be quicker than another but less communicative. A car can be quicker than another, but less interactive and enjoyable. See the McLaren MP4-12C. Or the Nissan GT-R.

Is there a conspiracy against those manufacturers also?

... and record hiss compared to none on a music CD. ;)

Let me know when a software update is able to defy the laws of physics and reduce the curb weight ;). You can only compensate so much with clever coding. Tesla needs to design a lighter weight battery or release a lower capacity track version of the model 3 to compete with the newer generation of performance cars of the future.

Agreed, front engine, rear drive will never defy the laws of physics, too much high weight in front of the driver will never allow the current Ice car to become what is needed to excel on the track

Agreed, front engine, rear drive will never defy the laws of physics, too much high weight in front of the driver will never allow the current Ice car to become what is needed to excel on the track
Unless you're producing insane amounts of power AWD isn't going to help much at race track speeds. The new M3 will have AWD but I doubt it will help anything except 0-60 (which is all that really matters, right? haha).

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev
Unless you're producing insane amounts of power AWD isn't going to help much at race track speeds. The new M3 will have AWD but I doubt it will help anything except 0-60 (which is all that really matters, right? haha).

It can matter quite a lot if the car is advanced enough to do things like improve times through corners by moving the power around (which TM allegedly does on the Model 3- and other cars explicitly do with torque vectoring and other tricks)

It can matter quite a lot if the car is advanced enough to do things like improve times through corners by moving the power around (which TM allegedly does on the Model 3- and other cars explicitly do with torque vectoring and other tricks)
I'm sure it helps but you can't defeat physics and the Model 3 is a heavy car.
For example there was recent hype about a modified Model 3 doing 1:57.9 at Buttonwillow on street tires. The Global Time Attack Street class record is 1:48.8 in a modified Honda S2000. It's hard to beat lightweight RWD.

Reactions: afadeev
I think the success of this car will actually hurt us in the short run. If there is a flood of these cars , we won’t be able to charge them quick enough to compete at full song! It’s like victim of their own success. I can’t believe no one is thinking about this.