Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Track Mode V2...RIP BMW M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
to me that is a legit knock on electric vehicles... unless the knock is oversold. Sr+ here so I wouldn’t know.

I don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be. (As bad as it was on the original Model S.)

But it depends on how you setup the race. For example fill them both with the same energy content: 100% charge on the Model 3, 2 gallons of gas in the M3 and see which gets the farthest the fastest. (Both are about 72 kWh of energy.) :rolleyes:

Let me know when a software update is able to defy the laws of physics and reduce the curb weight ;). You can only compensate so much with clever coding. Tesla needs to design a lighter weight battery or release a lower capacity track version of the model 3 to compete with the newer generation of performance cars of the future.

I believe the 'performance cars of the future' will be all electric anyway.

Reactions: WarpedOne
I believe the 'performance cars of the future' will be all electric anyway.

No doubt electric cars are the performance cars of the future. But i have my doubts if this will happen in the next 5 (possibly more) years. Electric cars are using the same suspension tech that ICE cars use, the only thing different is lower center of gravity and higher curb weight. Lower center of gravity is great but higher curb weight is a massive hindrance for performance. You can do all the clever engineering you want but you cannot make a 4000 lb car handle better than a 3000 lb GT3 RS. Tesla will need to design a lighter weight battery or reduce the capacity and make a track spec car. Until then, ICE cars will be the king of the racetrack.

About what exactly?

Depending on what you find important, the BMW M3 (current and next gen) is in several ways superior to the Tesla M3P. .

Can you cite any objectively measurable ones?

When Top Gear (hardly Tesla fans) compared them the BMW M3 (current one) lost in every single test except drifting.

And that was before TM2 (which would fix the drift result and likely improve how much it beat the BMW in the lap testing) and before the last 5% power bump which'd put it even further ahead of the BMW in the other testing.

Top Gear: Tesla Model 3 goes head-to-head with BMW M3 [Video]

No doubt electric cars are the performance cars of the future. But i have my doubts if this will happen in the next 5 (possibly more) years. Electric cars are using the same suspension tech that ICE cars use, the only thing different is lower center of gravity and higher curb weight. Lower center of gravity is great but higher curb weight is a massive hindrance for performance. You can do all the clever engineering you want but you cannot make a 4000 lb car handle better than a 3000 lb GT3 RS. Tesla will need to design a lighter weight battery or reduce the capacity and make a track spec car. Until then, ICE cars will be the king of the racetrack.

disagree completely. The lower center of gravity makes up for increased weight. That’s why Tesla beats up on nearly everything on and off the track. GT3? That’s a $200k car lol.

You can do all the clever engineering you want but you cannot make a 4000 lb car handle better than a 3000 lb GT3 RS. Tesla will need to design a lighter weight battery or reduce the capacity and make a track spec car. Until then, ICE cars will be the king of the racetrack.

Meanwhile, back in reality...

Tesla Model 3 with mods nearly takes out McLaren F1 lap time at famed Japanese race circuit

Oh look- model 3 beats the GT3s best time.

Granted they did some suspension mods to the Tesla. Not sure what they did with the other $150,000 less they didn't spend to run that time than the Porsche owner did though :)

BTW that Tesla time was with a driver who had never driven a Tesla before that day- and on less than ideal tires for the track.

Quick edit- Just saw they ran it again a couple weeks later (so I guess his SECOND time driving a Tesla?) and he put down a 1:03.3 still on street tires.... (in fact, the same tires that are OEM on a GT3!)

Last edited:
I don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be. (As bad as it was on the original Model S.)

But it depends on how you setup the race. For example fill them both with the same energy content: 100% charge on the Model 3, 2 gallons of gas in the M3 and see which gets the farthest the fastest. (Both are about 72 kWh of energy.) :rolleyes:

I’m not sure the track cares about how much energy you use necessarily...

disagree completely. The lower center of gravity makes up for increased weight. That’s why Tesla beats up on nearly everything on and off the track.
Meanwhile, back in reality...

Tesla Model 3 with mods nearly takes out McLaren F1 lap time at famed Japanese race circuit

Oh look- model 3 beats the GT3s best time.

Granted they did some suspension mods to the Tesla. Not sure what they did with the other $150,000 less they didn't spend to run that time that the Porsche owner did though :)

welp