Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Track Mode V2...RIP BMW M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Including attachments, fluids, battery/electronics yup, right around 1000 (everything sitting in the engine bay) wet and driveable
That makes it even more impressive that a BMW M3 is faster around most tracks than a Model 3.

Is that the imaginary track I’ve never heard of? We’re talking stock M3 vs stock P3D?

Tesla Model 3 Performance Crushes Fossil BMW M3 Around Race Track | CleanTechnica

Top Gear Pits BMW M3 Against Tesla Model 3 Performance

Last edited:
Reactions: WilliamG and EinSV
Incorrect again

Tesla wins the half mile too

And this is without V2, which would make the p3d even faster on fast wide turns

Top Gear races Tesla Model 3 Performance against the BMW M3
It's a good thing for BMW that lap times aren't measured from a stop!
AWD launch advantage is huge.
Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 5.56.34 PM.png

Last edited:

I cannot believe the misinformation here, why have you linked an article that compares against cars at-least 1 generation (in some cases multiple generations) in the past? That was such a biased article, and the track is only 1.2 miles long and is suited for cars that accelerate fast. Does the M3P not hold track records against current gen cars in ANY other racetrack?

McLaren F1 - production dates 1992-1998
GT3 997 - Debuted in 2006
F40 - 1987-1992
Audi R8 V10 - 2012
Gallardo - 2003-2013
997 turbo - 2004-2013

disagree completely. The lower center of gravity makes up for increased weight. That’s why Tesla beats up on nearly everything on and off the track. GT3? That’s a $200k car lol.

Lower center of gravity does not make up for increased weight. The fact is that the tires and brakes will need to handle the extra 1000 lbs at high speeds and the available mechanical grip will be much less compared to a lighter car. Your tires and brakes will also overheat/fade alot faster compared to a lighter car. There is a reason that teams in every level of motorsport try to reduce as much weight as possible.

Lower center of gravity does not make up for increased weight. The fact is that the tires and brakes will need to handle the extra 1000 lbs at high speeds and the available mechanical grip will be much less compared to a lighter car. Your tires and brakes will also overheat/fade alot faster compared to a lighter car. There is a reason that teams in every level of motorsport try to reduce as much weight as possible.

Incorrect. It does make up for the extra weight. That’s why it’s faster around the track than anything gas powered that is even remotely in its price range. And these tests were completed before V2.

Reactions: EinSV
I cannot believe the misinformation here

Good- since there isn't any.

The times posted are all factual.

, why have you linked an article that compares against cars at-least 1 generation (in some cases multiple generations) in the past?

Because someone specifically cited the GT3.

Which that article happened to show a P3D beating.

Not sure why you'd get confused by that.

That was such a biased article, and the track is only 1.2 miles long and is suited for cars that accelerate fast.

Ah, the racing version of the "no true Scotsman fallacy!"

"Well no way that car can win on versus MAGICCARILIKE on a track!"

"Here's that car beating MAGICAR on a track...."

"Well that's not a REAL track! Doesn't count!"

Does the M3P not hold track records against current gen cars in ANY other racetrack?

I also linked to a P3D beating a current-gen M3 around a track as tested by top gear (and beating it in nearly every other comparison test they did too)

Lemme guess... that one also doesn't count...because... REASONS.... right?

Also-
I know Sasha from MPP ran a 1:37.5 at Laguna Seca back in June...(plenty of news stories when it happened)

Which is quicker than the quickest BMW on the list of best laptimes there-though just barely...
BMW M4 GTS laptimes, specs, performance data - FastestLaps.com

It's a current-gen M4 GTS that was slightly slower...

THAT track must not count either- right?

Last edited:
So I owned a 2016 F80 M3, and now have 2020 Model 3 Performance. I had the M3 on the track once, haven't taken the Tesla out.

The Model 3 is easier to drive, no doubt about it. I'm not sure the F80 wins in any category. I also owned a 2012 E92 M3, which I also had on a track a couple of times. Now that car felt great! It's been a while since I drove it, but the balance and motor were quite a thing of beauty. The Model 3 is still the better overall car, and I don't miss the F80 at all. Although it looked really mean!

Can you cite any objectively measurable ones?

When Top Gear (hardly Tesla fans) compared them the BMW M3 (current one) lost in every single test except drifting.

And that was before TM2 (which would fix the drift result and likely improve how much it beat the BMW in the lap testing) and before the last 5% power bump which'd put it even further ahead of the BMW in the other testing.

Top Gear: Tesla Model 3 goes head-to-head with BMW M3 [Video]

Why state objective ones? That’s not what this thread is about, just read the opening post.

As stated in my response, it depends on what you value for me that is (amongst others) Design, Quality, Fun (Experience). Those are some of the areas where the M3 is superior to the M3P for me.

• Funny
Reactions: Okninja
. That’s why it’s faster around the track than anything gas powered that is even remotely in its price range.
Camaro SS 1LE is way faster.
I know Sasha from MPP ran a 1:37.5 at Laguna Seca back in June...(plenty of news stories when it happened)
Not stock and on racing slicks. Once you start comparing the Model 3 to modified cars it's at a huge disadvantage.
It is odd that Motortrend has never had Randy Pobst to a hot lap of a stock Model 3 at Laguna Seca. Seems like he's driven every other high performance car there.

My bet is that the people in this thread that truly believe the model 3 is a track day monster, have never done a track day with the car to realize the reality, have never tracked another modified car.
They also probably believe hpde events are “races” and when they pass a guy in a Ferrari in the novice group claim victory, when the guy in the Ferrari was just there to have fun and has little skill.

source: track prepped c5 corvette owner (2001) which I would bet money on being faster than my p3d at a track day, single lap or session. 6 years AUTOX experience and at least a handful or more of track days. I’m not an expert, but I know enough to know that at least