Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trade-In Tesla Offer - Need Advice!

Tesla is offering me $28k for a 4 month old Model 3 that I paid $37k for as a trade-in.

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a March 2019 Model 3 in excellent condition that I paid cash for.

4,000 miles later, and after the announcement of Raven, I'm considering trading my 3 for a new X.

I paid $37k for the 3 (standard range plus).

Tesla made me an offer today of $28k for the 3 (appreciating asset, huh?).

So that's a $9k loss (or a $5,250 loss with the tax credit factored in).

I'm not a car trading expert so I'm asking here for advice.

Which is most accurate:

1. This is a reasonable trade-in offer. Take the deal and enjoy your new Raven Model X.
2. This is just sort of a "meh" deal. Kind of neutral.
3. This is a "low ball" offer. Sale private party or find some other service (Carmax, etc.).

Thanks all.

A trade-in is never going to be the best offer you can get just due to the nature of the transaction. They need to get it low enough to make some profit when they resell it. If you're willing to go through the process a private sale will get you closer to what you've got into it, but you're still going to take a hit for depreciation with a car this new.

Don’t forget that when you trade in, you’ll save that amount’s tax on the X (depends on the state). I think it’s a good offer factoring in the rebate, miles, and the fact that you are at the steepest part of the depreciation curve.

Good point. If WA sales tax is 6.5% you save another $1,820 by trading it into Tesla versus a private party, so that means you would need to sell if for at least $29,820 to break even versus trading it in. And you got a $3,750 tax credit, so it’s really not that bad. Almost makes me want to trade in my LR RWD for one of those new P3D- stealth cars.

Good point. If WA sales tax is 6.5% you save another $1,820 by trading it into Tesla versus a private party, so that means you would need to sell if for at least $29,820 to break even versus trading it in. And you got a $3,750 tax credit, so it’s really not that bad. Almost makes me want to trade in my LR RWD for one of those new P3D- stealth cars.

In WA you are taxed on the difference in value between your trade-in and the new car.

So a new X is 85k and with 28k value on my 3 I would only be taxed on 57k.

If I wanted x really bad I would just do it.
Trade in had tax benefit like some mentioned. So you would have to ask it private party for at least $31000 to do better.
Is it worth the trouble?
Without AP are you sure it will sell for more than $31000?

Reactions: Mattzilla