Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trade-In Tesla Offer - Need Advice!

Tesla is offering me $28k for a 4 month old Model 3 that I paid $37k for as a trade-in.

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point. If WA sales tax is 6.5% you save another $1,820 by trading it into Tesla versus a private party, so that means you would need to sell if for at least $29,820 to break even versus trading it in. And you got a $3,750 tax credit, so it’s really not that bad. Almost makes me want to trade in my LR RWD for one of those new P3D- stealth cars.

6.5% tax in WA? Bahaha that’s funny. It’s 10.3% :(

Reactions: WilliamG
This is a private party sale car for sure. You've got one of the hottest cars on the road that people are easily selling for little less than they paid for them in many cases. Less so now with the price drops but still, they're not a hard sell if priced right. I'd give you a quick $31,000 for it and come up and grab it if you really want to make up that difference but realistically? I think you could sell it for 35k quite easily.

And yes, my offer is for real. :)

This is a private party sale car for sure. You've got one of the hottest cars on the road that people are easily selling for little less than they paid for them in many cases. Less so now with the price drops but still, they're not a hard sell if priced right. I'd give you a quick $31,000 for it and come up and grab it if you really want to make up that difference but realistically? I think you could sell it for 35k quite easily.

And yes, my offer is for real. :)

Ya, even with the price drop I think $35k is do-able. A SR+ from Tesla right now with delivery fees is $40,190. So a $5,190 drop in four months seems about right. Yes I know there is an $1875 tax credit, but some people might not qualify for that or might not know about it/would rather have the savings in their pocket now. I will say though that WA has a $2500 sales tax credit that starts Aug 1st, so you probably should sell it before then or sell it across state lines Otherwise it's $4375 that WA residents can get off a new SR+ from Tesla.. which hurts your sales some. (There is a $1500 credit for used cars that are under $35k though that starts Aug 1st as well, not sure if they apply to private party sales though or just from dealers... and obviously only for WA residents since it's a sales tax credit)

Reactions: Mattzilla
The only way that $28K is a good deal would be if I were buying it from you!

I'd email them back with a link to the video where Elon said Teslas get more valuable and do not depreciate.

And all that aside, you're paying sales taxes and loan fees twice, so that's no good either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattzilla
I was curious as to how much better the trade in value of my car would be at Carmax for the exact reason of Tesla low balling at $40k for my LR AWD. KBB says at least 43.5k for a trad in with private sales around 50.

To my surprise carmax valued it at 35k!!! I’m almost positive the valuation team screwed up and didn’t even put the car down as the AWD dual motor model. The spec sheet only said long range. Didn’t say that it had upgraded 19” wheels, white interior, EAP, or anything. Plus they valued it at good when it’s only 6 months old and is in great condition. The lady checking it over at the Roseville, CA carmax didn’t even know it didn’t have a car key, how to open the door, or work the darn controls. Either she valued the wrong type of car or she’s trying too hard to get the car for low.

Don’t trust valuation of anyone is all I’m saying

I was curious as to how much better the trade in value of my car would be at Carmax for the exact reason of Tesla low balling at $40k for my LR AWD. KBB says at least 43.5k for a trad in with private sales around 50.

To my surprise carmax valued it at 35k!!! I’m almost positive the valuation team screwed up and didn’t even put the car down as the AWD dual motor model. The spec sheet only said long range. Didn’t say that it had upgraded 19” wheels, white interior, EAP, or anything. Plus they valued it at good when it’s only 6 months old and is in great condition. The lady checking it over at the Roseville, CA carmax didn’t even know it didn’t have a car key, how to open the door, or work the darn controls. Either she valued the wrong type of car or she’s trying too hard to get the car for low.

Don’t trust valuation of anyone is all I’m saying

I can’t imagine anyone is paying $50k for a used LR AWD with the price drops and tax credit still in effect. But nothing surprises me anymore.

I can’t imagine anyone is paying $50k for a used LR AWD with the price drops and tax credit still in effect. But nothing surprises me anymore.
Totally agree. My build brand new right now is about 53k (dropped from 56k FSD because I have EAP ). But 35 or even 40? No way it’s that low. I’d say the sweet spot is 47.5.

Say what now? Do please share where you saw this documented. About damn time WA state does something to support EV sales..

I don’t believe the WA gov site has been updated to explain this in plain English yet, but a couple news sites have been reporting it since about April and the full text is here; http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2019-20/Pdf/Bills/House Passed Legislature/2042-S2.PL.pdf They start talking about it at the bottom of page 14. Since it’s a sales tax exemption it’s an exemption of the tax up to the first $25,000 sales price (though new vehicles under $45k qualify). In a high tax area like Seattle, ~10%, that’s good for $2500, which will come off at the point of sale. In lower tax areas it might only be good for like $2,225 (8.9% tax * $25,000). It’s not huge, but it’s a nice help. However, I think the yearly EV registration fee went up $75 also...

Are you happy with that decision? How's the Raven holding up?

I'd have been a lot happier had I waited 2 months and been able to get the bigger battery for $4k more vs. $10k more. (I got standard range). Even though I have NO real use case for it... I'd gladly have given up 4k for it.

I like the X, but in many ways it's a step back from the 3. Phantom drain is much worse. My X charges to only 221 (should be 229). The 3 ALWAYS charged to perfect 279. and the 3 held that all night. X drops range hourly.

umm, the X is bigger (duh) so I miss some of the handling of the 3. But I prefer bigger cars. I do love how I don't feel like I'm constantly being tailgated by idiots in the X. I also love how the spoiler breaks up headlights behind me to tone down the brightness.

Yea, I'm happy with the X, just wish I waited 2 months... after waiting 4+ YEARS to get the one I wanted...

Also, my 3 had zero issues since new. I'm having Mobile Service come by to fix a laundry list of things not correct due to shoddy assembly on my X.

have any of you actually brought your Tesla to carmax? they are the worst low ballers! I bought my 3 last year at 76k. 6 months later I wanted to trade up to the X. Tesla offered me 51k and Carmax offered me 40K!! I had 2k miles on it!!! No amount of depreciation reasoning yadda yadda yadda was I going to accept a 25k loss, let alone a 36k loss in only half a year. That's enough for another new car. kbb numbers are also skewed. best way is to go private. it might take a little longer, but you will get a much more comfortable number.

have any of you actually brought your Tesla to carmax? they are the worst low ballers! I bought my 3 last year at 76k. 6 months later I wanted to trade up to the X. Tesla offered me 51k and Carmax offered me 40K!! I had 2k miles on it!!! No amount of depreciation reasoning yadda yadda yadda was I going to accept a 25k loss, let alone a 36k loss in only half a year. That's enough for another new car. kbb numbers are also skewed. best way is to go private. it might take a little longer, but you will get a much more comfortable number.

I did, and like I said, they offered me 40k for my MR (it had 5k miles). Maybe they don't know how to differentiate the various models? I was surprised to get $40k from them and nowhere did they state the specific variant of Model 3 I brought in. So that may explain why you got $40k offered, same as me? I'd be curious to see what offer Carmax gives to any SR owners with similar miles.

EDIT:
Nevermind, I forgot about the whole premise of this post which was someone only getting an offer for $28k. Maybe I just got lucky?

I did, and like I said, they offered me 40k for my MR (it had 5k miles). Maybe they don't know how to differentiate the various models? I was surprised to get $40k from them and nowhere did they state the specific variant of Model 3 I brought in. So that may explain why you got $40k offered, same as me? I'd be curious to see what offer Carmax gives to any SR owners with similar miles.

EDIT:
Nevermind, I forgot about the whole premise of this post which was someone only getting an offer for $28k. Maybe I just got lucky?

Yesterday I was offered $37k for 2019 SR+ with basic AP, white interior/Exterior, and 19’s from Carmax. It’s too good of a car to to let go for that price. After tax incentive it would be about a $7k hit in 4 months. Good thing is my wife wants it. It has 4200 miles.

Tesla offered me $28k for trade.

Last edited: