Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 trade in.

dbradd

Dec 10, 2019
Santa Cruz
I recently put a request in for a valuation from Tesla on my 2020 standard range model 3 with 7,500 miles on it that I bought in late December last year. Looking to upgrade to a y soonish. I got my quote back from them and they quoted me 29,900 for it. KBB quoted 37,000-40,000 for trade in. The car is pretty much in flawless condition. Is this normal for this type of offer from Tesla on their own cars?!? This seems absolutely ludicrous!! I don’t think even a dealership would offer this low!

vsansal

Oct 11, 2019
Arlington,VA
I recently put a request in for a valuation from Tesla on my 2020 standard range model 3 with 7,500 miles on it that I bought in late December last year. Looking to upgrade to a y soonish. I got my quote back from them and they quoted me 29,900 for it. KBB quoted 37,000-40,000 for trade in. The car is pretty much in flawless condition. Is this normal for this type of offer from Tesla on their own cars?!? This seems absolutely ludicrous!! I don’t think even a dealership would offer this low!

Do you have FSD option? If not that price seems normal. They have the updated 2021 models starting from $38K. That KBB trade in value doesn't make sense for standard range.

Jaenonymous

Jun 28, 2020
Westerly, RI
Im also looking to get into a new Tesla, a model Y or 3 LR. I have 4500 on my 2020 SR+ and its flawless. I was quoted around 33k for a trade in. Carvana quoted 30.

TW14 9LF

2nd EV
Oct 28, 2018
SoCal
This must have changed since I traded in my non-Tesla back in Nov 2018. The Tesla offer was $3,000 higher than Carmax or Carvana was offering, and $2,000 over KBB trade-in value. 2015 Ford Focus Electric.

s33t33

Aug 25, 2020
Wi
but out of Tesla or Carvana, who else (private buyer wise) is going to pay KBB's ridiculous price for a used model 3, when they can buy the newer and better one for cheaper (even if yours have FSD, it's still not worth it)?

Reactions: cwerdna

Threader

Apr 16, 2019
Montreal
Tesla has people waiting in line for weeks to months for new builds. Why would they not low ball you. If you bendover and take it then they make more money on your trade-in and on the new build sale. I was in the same situation in July-August trading in my SR+ for a MY. So I bent over and took it like a real Tesla supporter and accepted the initial trade-in offer. 30 days later they lowered the offer by another $3000. A the time I was pissed off at their abhorrent greed and cancelled my MY order.

20/20 I now realize that they knew a Model 3 refresh was coming in a few months during the time of the second re-evaluation.

I would of also offered myself less! LoL

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
When I traded in my Audi in Dec Tesla quoted me thousands more over next closest offer. And they didn't inspect the car or anything. I was told trade-in's just get dumped at auction; perhaps only non-Tesla trades though?

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
Tesla has people waiting in line for weeks to months for new builds. Why would they not low ball you. If you bendover and take it then they make more money on your trade-in and on the new build sale. I was in the same situation in July-August trading in my SR+ for a MY. So I bent over and took it like a real Tesla supporter and accepted the initial trade-in offer. 30 days later they lowered the offer by another $3000. A the time I was pissed off at their abhorrent greed and cancelled my MY order.

20/20 I now realize that they knew a Model 3 refresh was coming in a few months during the time of the second re-evaluation.

I would of also offered myself less! LoL

Yeah, trade-in quote is only valid for 30 days. This becomes a problem considering that most builds are often 1 or 2 months. You almost have to order and trade when delivery is only 2, maybe 3 weeks.

NuTony

Oct 1, 2020
new jersey
this is why i will be leasing my M3P. 3yrs and get a new Tesla Model (insert new name here). f buying these. i burn threw cars from boredom. even the 3yrs will be tough. but at least i won't lose my shirt on trade (NJ has $5k rebate so zero down - $600 mo).

• Disagree
Reactions: jeremymc7

Threader

Apr 16, 2019
Montreal
this is why i will be leasing my M3P. 3yrs and get a new Tesla Model (insert new name here). f buying these. i burn threw cars from boredom. even the 3yrs will be tough. but at least i won't lose my shirt on trade (NJ has $5k rebate so zero down - $600 mo).
Getting regular software updates with dozen upon dozens of new features a year helps with boredom compared to all other cars that are set and forget coming out of the factories.

• Disagree
Reactions: HarleyW

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
Is anyone trying Carvana? Don’t they even come to pick it up at your house? If offer is similar that can extra convenience.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC