Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 trade in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently put a request in for a valuation from Tesla on my 2020 standard range model 3 with 7,500 miles on it that I bought in late December last year. Looking to upgrade to a y soonish. I got my quote back from them and they quoted me 29,900 for it. KBB quoted 37,000-40,000 for trade in. The car is pretty much in flawless condition. Is this normal for this type of offer from Tesla on their own cars?!? This seems absolutely ludicrous!! I don’t think even a dealership would offer this low!

I recently put a request in for a valuation from Tesla on my 2020 standard range model 3 with 7,500 miles on it that I bought in late December last year. Looking to upgrade to a y soonish. I got my quote back from them and they quoted me 29,900 for it. KBB quoted 37,000-40,000 for trade in. The car is pretty much in flawless condition. Is this normal for this type of offer from Tesla on their own cars?!? This seems absolutely ludicrous!! I don’t think even a dealership would offer this low!

Do you have FSD option? If not that price seems normal. They have the updated 2021 models starting from $38K. That KBB trade in value doesn't make sense for standard range.

but out of Tesla or Carvana, who else (private buyer wise) is going to pay KBB's ridiculous price for a used model 3, when they can buy the newer and better one for cheaper (even if yours have FSD, it's still not worth it)?

Reactions: cwerdna
Tesla has people waiting in line for weeks to months for new builds. Why would they not low ball you. If you bendover and take it then they make more money on your trade-in and on the new build sale. I was in the same situation in July-August trading in my SR+ for a MY. So I bent over and took it like a real Tesla supporter and accepted the initial trade-in offer. 30 days later they lowered the offer by another $3000. A the time I was pissed off at their abhorrent greed and cancelled my MY order.

20/20 I now realize that they knew a Model 3 refresh was coming in a few months during the time of the second re-evaluation.

I would of also offered myself less! LoL

Tesla has people waiting in line for weeks to months for new builds. Why would they not low ball you. If you bendover and take it then they make more money on your trade-in and on the new build sale. I was in the same situation in July-August trading in my SR+ for a MY. So I bent over and took it like a real Tesla supporter and accepted the initial trade-in offer. 30 days later they lowered the offer by another $3000. A the time I was pissed off at their abhorrent greed and cancelled my MY order.

20/20 I now realize that they knew a Model 3 refresh was coming in a few months during the time of the second re-evaluation.

I would of also offered myself less! LoL

Yeah, trade-in quote is only valid for 30 days. This becomes a problem considering that most builds are often 1 or 2 months. You almost have to order and trade when delivery is only 2, maybe 3 weeks.

this is why i will be leasing my M3P. 3yrs and get a new Tesla Model (insert new name here). f buying these. i burn threw cars from boredom. even the 3yrs will be tough. but at least i won't lose my shirt on trade (NJ has $5k rebate so zero down - $600 mo).

• Disagree
Reactions: jeremymc7
this is why i will be leasing my M3P. 3yrs and get a new Tesla Model (insert new name here). f buying these. i burn threw cars from boredom. even the 3yrs will be tough. but at least i won't lose my shirt on trade (NJ has $5k rebate so zero down - $600 mo).
Getting regular software updates with dozen upon dozens of new features a year helps with boredom compared to all other cars that are set and forget coming out of the factories.

• Disagree
Reactions: HarleyW