Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trade Ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been looking for an S or X for a few months, but used market is fairly dysfunctional given recent new Tesla price cuts (someone is actually advertising a 2017 X 100D for above new cost when you factor stamp duty).
So .... interested to know who might be trading in their X or S next month when their 3 arrives?

I think a lot of people buying 3’s are new to the Tesla brand, or in some cases buying a second EV to go with a S/X (I’d consider this if we had kids or something and needed a second car).

No doubt there will be some people going from a S/X to a 3 but I don’t think many S/X owners would want to make that trade.

Have you talked to Tesla directly about pre owned or ex demo? They may have some good Model S examples available with a “price adjustment” (I.e. discount) from new. I got my S ex-demo last year and they had loads of colour/interior options to choose from. What state are you in?

@Juhas2610 - fairly flexible on the budget - just looking for something that is priced accurately (in my opinion). Most on Carsales seem to be priced too high given new price reductions in March (owners even referencing their original purchase price) and likely inventory next month (noting I'm a prior Model S owner).

Happy to discuss on PM if you are seriously looking to sell.

@Juhas2610 - fairly flexible on the budget - just looking for something that is priced accurately (in my opinion). Most on Carsales seem to be priced too high given new price reductions in March (owners even referencing their original purchase price) and likely inventory next month (noting I'm a prior Model S owner).

Happy to discuss on PM if you are seriously looking to sell.
PM'd you!

I'm aiming to sell my 2014 S 85 privately soon. Have ordered a 3. Personally prefer the smaller car.

Fair call - the S is a long car! Not ideal for everyone :)

As I said there will definitely be some people going to the 3 from an S/X but the stats from overseas at least show that most Model 3 buyers are coming from outside the Tesla brand - so to the OP’s point I’m not so sure that the incoming availability of the Model 3 will result in a surge of pre owned Model S or Model X on the market.

I will be placing my blue P85D on the market in a couple of weeks’ time.

I originally placed a reservation for a Model 3 in January 2017, but got sick of waiting and bought a Model S which came up for sale locally last year. It’s been great, life-changing, but I am going back to Plan A as I think a smaller car will work better in our household. A LR RWD would be great as my kids would be able to drive it on P’s in South Australia, but have ultimately ordered a P- as I want range.

Btw In the past 2 weeks I have only seen 1 solitary Model 3 in the wild, having travelled/driven through Finland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. It shows me there are plenty of countries like Australia that have a long way to go to embrace EV’s.

I went and sat in a 3 in martin place sydney on the weekend (was a LHD) and it felt really small compared to the S. I'm so used to the room in the driver's seat in the S that the 3 seemed cramped, but if I had a 3 I'm sure I'd quickly feel normal again in a smaller car. My one observation was the 3 looked much better in real life than photos/videos on the internet (I don't think it looks bad on the internet, it just looks so much better in real life). And my spouse really liked the look of it

Reactions: Techno-phile

I originally placed a reservation for a Model 3 in January 2017, but got sick of waiting and bought a Model S which came up for sale locally last year. It’s been great, life-changing, but I am going back to Plan A as I think a smaller car will work better in our household. A LR RWD would be great as my kids would be able to drive it on P’s in South Australia, but have ultimately ordered a P- as I want range.

Btw In the past 2 weeks I have only seen 1 solitary Model 3 in the wild, having travelled/driven through Finland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. It shows me there are plenty of countries like Australia that have a long way to go to embrace EV’s.
You may find the lack of model 3 in europe is a tesla supply issue rather than a lack of enthusiasm for EV

Reactions: matsoutback

I came back from a three week road trip in Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden and Poland four weeks ago and saw a ton of Model 3s at the superchargers along the way.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp