Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 trade to Refreshed Model S poll….

Is it worth it to trade in your 3 for a refreshed 2021.5 LR or Plaid

• Yes

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Maybe, please explain

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
I have a June 2019 model 3 Dual motor with FSD and acceleration boost. I really love the car. Was thinking about trading it for a MS Plaid. Tesla offered $51,800 for the 3. That plus another $100,000 would get the Plaid. I like the nimbleness and tossability of the 3 and am afraid the Plaid will feel more like an off shore cigarette boat. Thoughts?

Reactions: Ormond
I have a June 2019 model 3 Dual motor with FSD and acceleration boost. I really love the car. Was thinking about trading it for a MS Plaid. Tesla offered $51,800 for the 3. That plus another $100,000 would get the Plaid. I like the nimbleness and tossability of the 3 and am afraid the Plaid will feel more like an off shore cigarette boat. Thoughts?
Go test drive it? If you can get an overnight this is best.

Reactions: jebinc
This thread looks relevant: M3P to Plaid - some thoughts

Also note if you can’t get a Plaid within 30 days you might get a different number once you need to refresh the trade-in offer, though the difference might be peanuts compared to the $100k upcharge lol
@thewishmaster Thanks. Read that thread! My current EDD range for the plaid is within the 30 day trade lock window. I need to decide before Sunday, as that’s when I expect the Plaid to arrive.

@thewishmaster Thanks. Read that thread! My current EDD range for the plaid is within the 30 day trade lock window. I need to decide before Sunday, as that’s when I expect the Plaid to arrive.
D’oh, missed that you already have an order on hand! Well that’s a dilemma. I’ve considered the MS LR myself but the long order time, and the fact that parking the narrower older S in my garage gave me anxiety (borderline too big) plus the boaty handling of the older ones all gave me pause.

D’oh, missed that you already have an order on hand! Well that’s a dilemma. I’ve considered the MS LR myself but the long order time, and the fact that parking the narrower older S in my garage gave me anxiety (borderline too big, plus boaty handling of the older ones) all gave me pause.
And that there is my worry... I too drove older loaner MSs, and thought they were “boat-like”. Of course, the Raven and now refreshed Plaid is all new again, hence the shout out!

Also intersted in info on this. I like the sportiness of the 3 but do a lot of road trips and was wondering if the updated S is noticeably better. I'm assuming it's a bit quieter and more comfortable, but how much so? The active noise cancellation on the S sounds like it'll probably be cool. The suspension on the M3P also really bites on any freeway/road that's slightly bumpy.

What about the sportiness? I've driven old S's and they felt like boats(2015-2017), how do the newer ones feel? Will I miss the M3P's sportiness? Thanks!

Also intersted (sic) in info on this. I like the sportiness of the 3 but do a lot of road trips and was wondering if the updated S is noticeably better. I'm assuming it's a bit quieter and more comfortable, but how much so? The active noise cancellation on the S sounds like it'll probably be cool. The suspension on the M3P also really bites on any freeway/road that's slightly bumpy.

What about the sportiness? I've driven old S's and they felt like boats(2015-2017), how do the newer ones feel? Will I miss the M3P's sportiness? Thanks!
Here, here! By the way, the ANC (like gaming or music in the back seat) are not yet working or activated - even though the advertisement of such features in the new S are..... Looking for more input!

How the heck are you getting 51.8 for same thing I traded in 2 months ago for 44.3k. Are you counting trade in sales tax credit too? Kind of hard to believe it would jump up by 5k in couple months lol.

How the heck are you getting 51.8 for same thing I traded in 2 months ago for 44.3k. Are you counting trade in sales tax credit too? Kind of hard to believe it would jump up by 5k in couple months lol.
@Star Platinum No, the tax credit here is 10%, so another $5180 in benefit, on top of the $51,800. Believe the wild swings. I reinput my VIN a few days ago and the quote was in the mid $40s! Others have reported these wild swings in Tesla valuation as well. Luck of the draw, I guess. Glad I locked for 30 days on 8/1. Expecting the Plaid as early as today-8/17. See siggy for details.

I don't think you can really compare a $50k car to a $130k one. The Plaid model S is super nice especially the refreshed interior. Have to buy what you like and what your budget allows. They are crazy quick also. Really happy with how my model S drives. Can't even tell it is a bigger car they handle great.

I don't think you can really compare a $50k car to a $130k one. The Plaid model S is super nice especially the refreshed interior. Have to buy what you like and what your budget allows. They are crazy quick also. Really happy with how my model S drives. Can't even tell it is a bigger car they handle great.
@THXULTRA Understood. The coin outlay is not the concern. It's more like is the value there to spend that $100k and give up my 3, for the new S experience - hence this callout to the community for input.

@THXULTRA Understood. The coin outlay is not the concern. It's more like is the value there to spend that $100k and give up my 3, for the new S experience - hence this callout to the community for input.
You will not be disappointed with the plaid. One thing I'm going to miss from my model S when I go to a M3P is the hatchback trunk. The air suspension is nice but I never change the ride height in my car. My S is a 2017 so I'm going from MCU1 and AP 2.5 hardware so I will get a nice jump there when I go to the M3P. You aren't losing anything going from a 3 to a plaid though. If you don't mind the investment you will not be disappointed. The plaid is a whole different level of car.

You will not be disappointed with the plaid. One thing I'm going to miss from my model S when I go to a M3P is the hatchback trunk. The air suspension is nice but I never change the ride height in my car. My S is a 2017 so I'm going from MCU1 and AP 2.5 hardware so I will get a nice jump there when I go to the M3P. You aren't losing anything going from a 3 to a plaid though. If you don't mind the investment you will not be disappointed. The plaid is a whole different level of car.
Why didn't you go with an LR (same 0-60 as the MP3) or Plaid yourself?

Why didn't you go with an LR (same 0-60 as the MP3) or Plaid yourself?
All came down to money for me. Really like the plaid but not willing to spend that much on a car. The LR was tempting but would still cost me a extra $34k. To me there isn't enough extra on the car to justify the price difference. Interior space on the S and 3 is actually close to the same also. A bit less on the Model 3 to break also. No power door handles, only one screen, and less complicated suspension. Never had problems with my door handles but that is one of the problem areas on the model S... S is a super nice car and I have loved mine so I'm not bashing it by any means.

All came down to money for me. Really like the plaid but not willing to spend that much on a car. The LR was tempting but would still cost me a extra $34k. To me there isn't enough extra on the car to justify the price difference. Interior space on the S and 3 is actually close to the same also. A bit less on the Model 3 to break also. No power door handles, only one screen, and less complicated suspension. Never had problems with my door handles but that is one of the problem areas on the model S... S is a super nice car and I have loved mine so I'm not bashing it by any means.
Understood. The 3 is an awesome car; which is why I'm conflicted about going Plaid.

Reactions: THXULTRA