Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trailer Hitch Wiring Plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my Tekonsha Modulite ZCI installed and it works fine - so far. My 3 had the grey plug but I did not route it down far enough when I installed the hitch, so I could not use it as a power source after the fact. Make sure to run a long enough wire from this plug or route it down further if you don't wire the harness when installing the hitch. It would save a ton of time and effort. I ended up using the orange wire in VC left which some have said is the one that actually runs to the grey plug.[/QUOTE
Now the Tekonsha unit is not working. Trailer lights are always on now if the harness is plugged in. Bright as if the brakes are on. Tried going through the reprogram sequence several times and no luck. Disconnected it from power a few times. Anyone have a solution?

I recently installed the EcoHitch from Torklift on my 2020 M3. Install went smoothly (helps having a lift ;-) and the trailer lights even smoother. I used this adapter available from a private vendor on eBay: Tesla Model 3 Trailer Digital Wiring Module (Trailer Hitch Lights Connector) | eBay

Very slick, plugs right into the Telsa factory plug noted above for OE trailer light harness. This module is as plug-and-play as it gets, requires no cutting/jumping/running wires and module is contained in a sealed housing. I tucked it behind the bumper crash bar and mounted it there with zip ties.
Was there any consequence to how the M3 senses the obstruction behind it, eg. bike rack or trailer, using their own custom module? I have a hitch but if I put a bike rack or cargo platform in it the visual always is hazard-orange behind the car and it beeps frantically if I go into Reverse.

Reactions: Misterbee
Is anyone able to tell me the name of 3 pin connector that is used for tucked in there behind the bumper.
This 3 wire connector is connector X041 SUMITOMO 6189-0165. I believe the opposite mating connector is 6188-0129. You can get this very cheap on Alibaba for a buck or two. I purchased both sides of the connector from Alibaba and am waiting for it to come in.

I am planning on using this connector to get the power and ground for the Tenkosha 118869 module instead of running a power wire up to the front of the vehicle. After I purchased the 118869 and the grey connector, I noticed that StealthHitch does exactly this in their wiring kit for the trailer lights. See photos below and link to the StealthHitch install instructions. Number 14 in the below photo.

1708906914249.png

1708906944692.png

1708906964884.png

Stealth Hitch wiring instructions