Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 trunk beeping twice and stopping halfway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to share a recent Technical Service Bulletin from Tesla that fixed my automatic trunk. There is an addition of an O Ring now from Tesla to the struts of the trunk of the Model 3. This O-Ring prevents water from entering the top of the strut causing intermittent opening issues. Once you press the button, either inside or out, the trunk would only open 30-50% of the way and beep three times. This repair was done by the mobile technician and took about 20 minutes to complete.
Hi, this is a different issue. I had this happen on my 2021 M3 SR+ and was fixed by a mobile service appointment in less than 5 minutes. Since installing 2022.8.2 my trunk opens up halfway and beeps twice randomly. You can press the trunk button again and it will open up all the way. I now have 2022.8.3 and the issue persists. A future software update should fix it. At least it's not a mechanical issue.

I don’t get it, why are they still releasing these versions with known bugs? Isn’t preventing wide distribution of bugs the whole point of phased rollouts?

Even if they’re unwilling to roll back when bugs are found, at least don’t give it to anyone else!

You could say the same thing about Chlamydia, but people still keep giving it to others.

Chlamydia is better than v11.

Just for kicks I did make an appointment for the trunk issue. Someone called me to cancel my appointment and tell me it was a software issue.

I figure if we all make appointments it might show up on some service metric for Tesla and maybe they'll push a fix sooner rather than later (probably not, but one can hope).

No software update will solve this. I had Tesla Mobile replace my motor strut on my trunk, but it made no difference. Still beeps twice at the top of most openings. I asked him about it when he was done with the fix and he just said, "No idea man. I'd bring it to your local service center." I just live with it.

No software update will solve this. I had Tesla Mobile replace my motor strut on my trunk, but it made no difference. Still beeps twice at the top of most openings. I asked him about it when he was done with the fix and he just said, "No idea man. I'd bring it to your local service center." I just live with it.
If they replaced the hardware and the problem remained that would suggest to me it is a software issue.

This is happening recently with my 2021 Model 3 (delivered end of 2020) always when car is just waking up in morning and cold. Doesn't seem to happen when car has been on and warm. I am on 2022.8.2.

Like others if I press the button again, it opens the rest of the way. I haven't tried resetting the height. Maybe I will try that when I have the chance.

ever since I got to 2022.8.3 I had this half open stuck trunk happen on a made during fall of 2021 M3P

Even latest 2022.12.3.1 opened the trunk halfway

I have manually push trunk to height I need and held the button to set it again but it still does this once in a while

Very embarrassing and annoying

I see a 2022.12.3.5 come out but not widely pushed yet. Wonder if this is a quick fix for the trunk

It's clear the software folks at Tesla have never read the Joel 12... "fix bugs before writing new code".

Instead they seem to like introducing new bugs after introducing new bugs.

I'm still waiting for an explanation of why they touched the charge port door behavior and what caused the bug, and the same with the trunk. Now it sounds like the steering wheel is their next target.

It really sucks. I like the car, and don't feel like I have other options, but Tesla seems bent on actively ruining it, and I don't have any choice in the matter.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I suspect you are correct, Sir.

Tim
Interesting. I thought it might be a software change to how the car detects an obstruction to opening the trunk with camera or ultrasonic sensors. Only happens with opening trunk using button not from app or control screen. Happens in both our 2021 M3s starting after the same software update. For us it beeps once when it stops opening so possibly a different problem.

Interesting. I thought it might be a software change to how the car detects an obstruction to opening the trunk with camera or ultrasonic sensors. Only happens with opening trunk using button not from app or control screen. Happens in both our 2021 M3s starting after the same software update. For us it beeps once when it stops opening so possibly a different problem.
Just did an experiment. Couldn't reproduce the single beep problem but could easily reproduce the double beep behaviour by gently prevent boot from opening with a hand. So it seems like the double beep problem is a restricted boot opening or current overload in the boot opener and the single beep problem is something else.