Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 trunk beeping twice and stopping halfway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been having this issue for a few weeks. It's been getting worse and number of times I've hit my head in the morning because it stops randomly prompted me to open a service ticket. I got this back today which confirms it's a software bug. Hopefully sorted soon.

I've investigated the issue and found that the issue is being caused by a known firmware characteristic which is causing the car to detect a current spike. Our engineering team have already developed a solution for this issue and a firmware update is due to be rolled out to the fleet imminently. The powered struts can feel a bit rough when manually opened/closed so this isn't a cause for concern.

As this issue is firmware related an appointment will not be required and can be closed on our system. Please reply to this message and confirm that you have understood the explanation given or if you would a call back to discuss.
The issue has been around for ~6 weeks I believe but the update is being rolled out in small numbers already and will then be sent in waves to the rest of the fleet.

No need for software update.

Here’s the fix:
Spray WD40 on the gas strut on the right-hand side of the trunk. Coat the thinner metal part of the strut. Then open and close the trunk a few times. This keeps the problem away for me for a good while.

8CADC895-C55C-4C00-BDD7-F7C9C1127FB5.jpeg

Hi,

Today Tesla Mobile Service came and replaced both the power and the normal strout. He said they are a bit stronger. He also said that there's indeed an update coming, but they've kept a car with the old strouts on purpose so they can check if the update actually works.
Finally, he did a couple of holes in the rubber seals in the trunk lid, because I told him that once it got filled with water and it came out through the hole for the wiring harness.
Coincidentally, it had been working well the last days, probably because of the milder temperatures.

Short story: Even though there's an update, they changed my strouts.
Took 20m.

This is in Norway.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
WD-40 is good for cleaning coagulated oil and other grime, but it'll dry out in the long term so you really should clean it off and then lubricate afterwards.

It also says on the can "Not for sale in California". This implies that either there aren't any *real* men in California, or that they're illegally importing their WD-40. 😜
White lithium grease is a better alternative

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Are we all still waiting for the mythical software update that’s going to fix this issue still? No sign of it for me. It’s taking way too long to be fixed.
It seems to not be rolling out. I worry when a release doesn't come out because that means there are problems, and that goes for any software. Sometimes they should just fix a few things at a time and not introduce new problems.