Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 trunk beeping twice and stopping halfway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must be very unlucky but my trunk did it again : it slammed so hard when closing that I saw it chip the paint in the interior edge of the trunk lid. It also got a tiny bulk, shaped as a line. I got an appointment to fix it, but I am starting to get very tired of this flimsy aluminium trunk, as this is the second time it happens...

JFTHOI, try lubing the non powered strut with white moly lube or WD-40 (If you can stand the aroma). You might try to add the issue in a service call request. Ask to push the update. Who knows, it might work!
Yeah, greasing the strut does help. Probably white lithium is the best one. Liquid based ones like WD-40 or Superlube oil seem to only work temporarily (guess it dries out). Issue was only intermittent for me regardless, so not as annoying as something that happened daily. I did just install the 2022.16 update, but have not used it enough to confirm if it made a difference (especially given it doesn't happen often in first place).

Yeah, greasing the strut does help. Probably white lithium is the best one. Liquid based ones like WD-40 or Superlube oil seem to only work temporarily (guess it dries out). Issue was only intermittent for me regardless, so not as annoying as something that happened daily. I did just install the 2022.16 update, but have not used it enough to confirm if it made a difference (especially given it doesn't happen often in first place).
Interesting, the service rep told me it was just a software bug due to the wrong voltage being sent when the boot is triggered. They couldn't force the update, just told me to wait.

Fingers crossed it's soon, I have updates set to advanced in hopes it triggers sooner.

Interesting, the service rep told me it was just a software bug due to the wrong voltage being sent when the boot is triggered.

I think it might be a bit of both. The issue was definitely introduced by a software update, but that update was probably meant to solve a different issue - e.g. the voltage was such that in rare circumstances the struts were being damaged.

Now what we have is that the slightest bit of resistance halts the trunk. So the proposed solution is to grease the struts. I had no problems for the first year-ish of ownership until the update... then it happened all the time. It happens less and less frequently with every update since.

Interesting, the service rep told me it was just a software bug due to the wrong voltage being sent when the boot is triggered. They couldn't force the update, just told me to wait.

Fingers crossed it's soon, I have updates set to advanced in hopes it triggers sooner.
As mentioned, it's both. One of the recent updates reduced the power of opening or increased the sensitivity to obstructions to the trunk (likely because there have been cases of it being damaged when when it is not properly aligned) which is why even with some resistance it stops. The 2022.16 update is supposed to fix that.

As mentioned, it's both. One of the recent updates reduced the power of opening or increased the sensitivity to obstructions to the trunk (likely because there have been cases of it being damaged when when it is not properly aligned) which is why even with some resistance it stops. The 2022.16 update is supposed to fix that.
I’ve had the update (2022.16.2) for a week now, and it will take at least 3 problem-free weeks before I feel genuinely confident in it, but so far both the trunk problem as well as the sentry-x video problem appear to be gone.

I’ve had the update (2022.16.2) for a week now, and it will take at least 3 problem-free weeks before I feel genuinely confident in it, but so far both the trunk problem as well as the sentry-x video problem appear to be gone.
I'm still trouble free after the 16.2 upgrade. However, comma, it is a good idea to take a look at the strut from time to time an keep it clean and LIGHTLY lubed. It can be pretty dusty in my area, and crud can accumulate on the strut. Even the frunk struts as well. Had this same experience on this kind of strut on my ICEVs.

Update: Seems to be working a bit better now actually. I have to lift it quite a bit first and then it'll lift up like normal without stopping. Not 100% but at least lifts the full way! Have reported to the service tech.
Probably the friction on the struts is still a bit much even with the update (I presume Tesla have still left in some detection as the change originally as mentioned up thread likely was to prevent deforming the trunk lid/rear quarter panel when it is misaligned).

May also need to reset the height too (which can be performed yourself also, although probably best to wait for tech answer first so as to not change anything yet).
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

As mentioned up thread, if they apply a grease, probably best to apply a more permanent heavy grease like white lithium grease rather than something liquid or spray that might dry out.

Probably the friction on the struts is still a bit much even with the update (I presume Tesla have still left in some detection as the change originally as mentioned up thread likely was to prevent deforming the trunk lid/rear quarter panel when it is misaligned).

May also need to reset the height too (which can be performed yourself also, although probably best to wait for tech answer first so as to not change anything yet).
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

As mentioned up thread, if they apply a grease, probably best to apply a more permanent heavy grease like white lithium grease rather than something liquid or spray that might dry out.
Wanted to comment on this. Our trunk would not close without wi g forced. The SR said there was a hinge issue and they are replacing it ;issue within a week of delivery). My bottom line is that the trunk design is flawed. What a hassle. I’d prefer a manual trunk myself

Little bit of a twist because I upgraded to 2022.16.3 a few days ago. So now I can only say that in 3 weeks of 2022.16.2 and 2022.16.3 there have been no problems with the trunk (or with the sentry-x problem). Life is easier not bumping my head on the partially opened trunk lid or having to re-insert the USB stick all the time…

Wanted to comment on this. Our trunk would not close without wi g forced. The SR said there was a hinge issue and they are replacing it ;issue within a week of delivery). My bottom line is that the trunk design is flawed. What a hassle. I’d prefer a manual trunk myself
The issues people are talking about mainly are trunks that stop before opening fully due to a recent update that added some additional resistance detection when opening. If your trunk can't close without being forced, you have a different issue.

Plenty of people have trunks that work perfectly fine, so the design overall is sound. There are some people with misaligned hinges, which is a factory defect that Tesla fixes under warranty, but that does not say in general the trunk design overall is defective.

I think the trunk is great, including the auto open/close. I did experience some of the "stopping halfway" issue after they updat d the software. It seems to have happened progressively less with each subsequent update. I don't think it's happened to me anymore since about 2 updates ago.

Contrary to my last post re it being fixed, it’s not been really. Because it’s been forced to open and close for all the months of it being faulty, both but especially the power strut have been damaged. This has now led to the power strut actually bending which then caused it to strike the rear roof glass and broke it. The trunk then wouldn’t close because the strut wouldn’t wind into itself anymore. So I had to disconnect it from the trunk and lay it into the area it sits when the trunk is closed and gently and very carefully close the trunk which is now out of alignment. The trunk won’t open even by hand anymore. The glass is smashed. The power strut is a banana 🍌 and I’m really not impressed. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR TRUNK IF YOU HAVE THIS SOFTWARE ISSUE! You’re likely to end up with the same mess as me if you do!!! Tesla are going to get it all fixed but for something to happen like this because of a stupid software problem is crazy. I took it to a local vehicle repair shop that Tesla use for warranty repairs and I was told that this was the SEVENTH in a month that had done this!!! So you are warned. Please take heed and just use your frunk instead.

• Informative
Reactions: pipp