Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trunk Button Stopped Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: Got it fixed today by a mobile repair tech. Replacing the trunk wiring harness (part no. 1068789-00-E) did the trick. :)

It was covered under warranty. For reference, here's the invoice:

View attachment 586136
Just had same issue with same fix. Part number is exactly the same. Does it mean issue will be back in few years? :( Hope not, but cable bending same way...

harness.png

My trunk wouldn't open from app, car screen or physical button.
Booked mobile service to come within 1.5 wks (Vancouver, Canada)

Service came and they brought the wrong parts, whoever handled the service request assumed it was the frunk even though in my description I only said trunk (in hindsight i should've said BACK trunk). He did a diagnostic and determined the trunk data wire was not sending a signal so it needed to be replaced. Luckily the tech said he had the part at home and would go do a quick repair for another customer first and come back after hours to fix my trunk.

He came back and it took about 1.5 hrs for him to replace the entire trunk cable bundle, see attached pic.

I feel the service guys really want to help fix customer issues, maybe it's cause they get OT pay or bonuses? Anyway, I was very impressed it was the first time I've used the mobile service.
Funny, from all cables it was purple in my case too (and white).

Funny, from all cables it was purple in my case too (and white).
I am having this problem all of a sudden in my Nov 2018 build Model 3. I went from trunk functioning to only the emergency latch functioning. I already had the rear latch replaced once under warranty in Feb 2020 due to corrosion issues (my trunk seal was also leaking). The notes from that service said they "checked the wiring harness", so I guess it was an item to check already at that point. Annoyed as it is a 10h round trip to the nearest town where they will even do Mobile Service :\

Is the damage to the wiring harness visible without taking things apart? Wondering if I should pop the emergency latch and have a closer look?

I am having this problem all of a sudden in my Nov 2018 build Model 3. I went from trunk functioning to only the emergency latch functioning. I already had the rear latch replaced once under warranty in Feb 2020 due to corrosion issues (my trunk seal was also leaking). The notes from that service said they "checked the wiring harness", so I guess it was an item to check already at that point. Annoyed as it is a 10h round trip to the nearest town where they will even do Mobile Service :\

Is the damage to the wiring harness visible without taking things apart? Wondering if I should pop the emergency latch and have a closer look?
I just had this problem this week with a 2018 Model 3. I installed the power lift gate last year so didn’t want to go through the hassle of removing all the equipment before getting Tesla to look at it, so I fixed it myself. Very easy to find the broken wire (it will likely be broken around where it bends around the trunk hinge in the flexible plastic tubing), then it was a straight forward repair, you can compress the plastic tubing enough to get access to repair the wiring.

Reactions: tren01t
I just had this problem this week with a 2018 Model 3. I installed the power lift gate last year so didn’t want to go through the hassle of removing all the equipment before getting Tesla to look at it, so I fixed it myself. Very easy to find the broken wire (it will likely be broken around where it bends around the trunk hinge in the flexible plastic tubing), then it was a straight forward repair, you can compress the plastic tubing enough to get access to repair the wiring.
I had a quick peek yesterday and didn't see anything obvious - did you somehow pull the outer cover on the wire harness back to check? (I did find these instructions on replacing the harness... Tesla MODEL 3 SERVICE MANUAL: HARNESS - TRUNK (REMOVE AND REPLACE))

I had a quick peek yesterday and didn't see anything obvious - did you somehow pull the outer cover on the wire harness back to check? (I did find these instructions on replacing the harness... Tesla MODEL 3 SERVICE MANUAL: HARNESS - TRUNK (REMOVE AND REPLACE))
I bunched up the silicone tubing as much as I could to see the wiring from both sides, had to cut some electrical tape on the top side to do so (as the wiring harness is taped to the silicone tubing. One of the wires was clearly not as tight as the others so I gently pulled on it and it came right of the tubing. In my case it was a light green wire, it had clearly been pinched and snapped.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I do see the same issue on my Model-3. I can open the trunk with Tesla app and from console but the button on the trunk has no effect.
The first time I could t get in my trunk I had the exact same circumstance. The button in the trunk had corroded and they replaced it. This time for me nothing opened the trunk, which as others noted was solved by fixing or replacing the wiring harness.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I wonder if those that fit an after market powered trunk are going to be faced with this or similar issues
in the future (broken wire in trunk harness)
I've seen YouTube videos of various methods to get the extra cabling in the trunk wiring harness
from struggling with using cable snake to slicing the harness open
it seems to be quite a tight fit.

The first time I could t get in my trunk I had the exact same circumstance. The button in the trunk had corroded and they replaced it. This time for me nothing opened the trunk, which as others noted was solved by fixing or replacing the wiring harness.
I had a FIAT 500 with same problem and I used to fix them on my own. I never expected to see the same issue on a TESLA !!!

My green wire was broken, trunk button above the rear license plate didn’t function, and you can see a few other cables have some damage. Replaced the wiring harness and all is good
View attachment 743458

Hardest part of the wiring harness remove and replace is taking apart the area behind the rear seats, and the side pillars surrounding it.

Attachments

• 1ED1F420-8A58-4E44-B335-E1479E27981E.jpeg
    1ED1F420-8A58-4E44-B335-E1479E27981E.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 166
  • D4A5CA12-71C6-4249-9A36-B05782C7A37D.jpeg
    D4A5CA12-71C6-4249-9A36-B05782C7A37D.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 172
  • E7875929-0F42-49FD-8A01-63BC2CE0AFFC.jpeg
    E7875929-0F42-49FD-8A01-63BC2CE0AFFC.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 162
Trunk would not open on my M3 SR+. Mobile service replaced the harness yesterday with 1068789-00-F. This morning, I saw news of a recall on the trunk harness Recall Report posted on NHTSA. I'll limit using my trunk until I get this guide protector installed.
Interesting note about the recall.

Per the linked recall document, the recall is specifically related to the failure of the rear camera video cable within the wiring harness, so it’s a tad different than the issue about the trunk not opening. But they very possibly share a root cause.

Interesting note about the recall.

Per the linked recall document, the recall is specifically related to the failure of the rear camera video cable within the wiring harness, so it’s a tad different than the issue about the trunk not opening. But they very possibly share a root cause.
Yeah the article from the recall showed the same part number you had replaced... I already scheduled to get this looked at before I install my EV Offer power lift gate.

Out of curiosity, the photos everyone posted about the wire, did the tech cut open the rubber sleeve to see the wire was cut or was the sleeve already been cut open from wear and tear?

The mobile service tech that repaired my car cut open the rubber sleeve to inspect the wires. The damage to the wires was not as obvious as those shown in posted photos, but the rubber sleeve did have obvious sharp bends in it.
Ahh I see... Wonder what happens if they cut it and there is no issue... Do they just electric tape it back or provide a new sleeve which I think isn't possible without a new harness right?