Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trunk Button Stopped Working

ahmadr

Sep 2, 2016
North CA
For the record, I’ve ran into the same issue. April 2018 build, 33k miles. Started as an intermittent issue, which I originally blamed BT / the app for, but it became more common and now 100%.
Mobile service scheduled.

vvnk

Feb 29, 2020
Santa Clarita, California
UPDATE: Got it fixed today by a mobile repair tech. Replacing the trunk wiring harness (part no. 1068789-00-E) did the trick. :)

It was covered under warranty. For reference, here's the invoice:

View attachment 586136
Just had same issue with same fix. Part number is exactly the same. Does it mean issue will be back in few years? :( Hope not, but cable bending same way...

harness.png

vvnk

Feb 29, 2020
Santa Clarita, California
My trunk wouldn't open from app, car screen or physical button.
Booked mobile service to come within 1.5 wks (Vancouver, Canada)

Service came and they brought the wrong parts, whoever handled the service request assumed it was the frunk even though in my description I only said trunk (in hindsight i should've said BACK trunk). He did a diagnostic and determined the trunk data wire was not sending a signal so it needed to be replaced. Luckily the tech said he had the part at home and would go do a quick repair for another customer first and come back after hours to fix my trunk.

He came back and it took about 1.5 hrs for him to replace the entire trunk cable bundle, see attached pic.

I feel the service guys really want to help fix customer issues, maybe it's cause they get OT pay or bonuses? Anyway, I was very impressed it was the first time I've used the mobile service.
Funny, from all cables it was purple in my case too (and white).

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC