Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trunk Emblem Positioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, does anyone know if there's an official OEM spec or a stencil that will meet OEM spec for the exact position of the T emblem on the trunk?

I'm thinking of replacing the stock emblem with a dark gray one but I'm also getting the car PPF'd so I won't be able to place the new badge based on the footprint of the old one. (All the videos I've seen showing how to do a replacement uses painters tape to create a footprint of the existing badge before you remove it.)

Thanks!

I ran into the same issue after a custom full frontal PPF. I bought a new emblem and took it when I picked up the car. Installer talked me into waiting and seeing if I really wanted to install it. That was last summer and I probably won’t install it. However if was the rear I would replace it.

I would take painters tape and using 4 4” pieces box in the existing ‘T’ before removal. So 1 piece across the top, 1 across the bottom and 1 up and down each side. So the tape just touches the top curve of the ‘T’, the bottom tip of the ‘T’ and the 2 outside edges of the ‘T’. Now carefully make 4 measurements. 1 from the top of the trunk lid edge down to the inside edge of the horizontal upper tape. 1 from the bottom of the trunk lid edge up to the inside edge of the horizontal lower tape. 1 from each side of the trunk lid edge to the inside edge of the vertical side tape on each side.

With those measurements you can then accurately re-create the box with painters tape from the same roll on top of the PPF. Once the box is re-created place a dot on the bottom piece exactly half way across along the top edge of the bottom piece of tape. Use the dot to align the bottom point of the ‘T’ for installation.

That or call Tesla and see if they have a template............. :)

I know if you were to order a replacement emblem from Tesla, the mobile service has a jig that would align it to the trunk properly.

I replaced my hood emblem after my PFF installation and mobile service was able to install it for me.

• Informative
Reactions: 03DSG
are you sure you want that big T on the trunk?

ocbZTZn.jpg

other options exist. :D