Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trunk Lid Replacement Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B3C0DE98-9BF8-4409-9FE1-3D5C8E7C951B.jpeg
1374BB4C-7947-4C9E-A58C-DE215D12464D.jpeg
Ugh, I hit a pipe at work, so I’m trying to see how much this will cost me :(

Only exterior damage. The trunk works perfectly fine and inside, everything is perfect.

Thoughts?

Only exterior damage. The trunk works perfectly fine and inside, everything is perfect.
Thoughts?

1). That's one flimsy aluminum trunk - it crumpled on the edge without transferring any of the force to the rest of the body.
2). If the new look doesn't bother you, rock it as-is.
3). If the look does bother you, does it really matter how much it costs to replace?
4). It will likely cost more than your deductible, so file an insurance claim, and they will tell you the rest.

a

Reactions: fatiiiii0607
4). It will likely cost more than your deductible, so file an insurance claim, and they will tell you the rest.
The claim will cause them to lose any "safe driver" discounts at a minimum, so even if the insurance claims accident forgiveness or whatever they can remove your discount without raising your rate (technically). You'd be paying higher rates for years. Not to mention loss in value if that kind of thing made it onto Carfax or whatever. I'd definitely want an estimate for a pre-painted trunk and likely lean toward just fixing it myself instead of going through insurance if that's the only part damaged.

Here is someone who got lucky and found a wrecked car to swap trunks with for under $700. However, if you can't do that kind of swap yourself then it's going to be $2-4k for a new one installed and blended, and you're probably going to have to use insurance.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatiiiii0607
1). That's one flimsy aluminum trunk - it crumpled on the edge without transferring any of the force to the rest of the body.
2). If the new look doesn't bother you, rock it as-is.
3). If the look does bother you, does it really matter how much it costs to replace?

a
At first look, those were my exact thoughts. Like wow, the body is so weak that I was parking SLOWLY and it caused that much damage.
I’ll just do insurance and pay the $1K. I guess every car needs a little trauma. This is almost a 60K car so gotta do it.
Thank you for your input! 🤗

I’d check places like eBay, and see if you can even luck out and get one in your color. Shipped carefully to you (and pushing the ‘luck’ possibility even further), it may not even need anything. I was fortunate enough to have that exact scenario happen for me with a Volvo fender a few years ago. Some examples I’ve seen online are in the $300 - 400 range. Good luck.

It's kind of annoying that the bumper doesn't stick out further. Like, I'm sure OP would have rather hit their plastic bumper against the drain pipe (which would have caused repairable paint damage, than dent the trunk lid.

I can only assume it's because of aerodynamics.

Reactions: afadeev
On My 2018 M3 the bumper is about 2" beyond the trunk surface. So to damage the trunk as shown the pipe had to stick above the bumper level. I had similar damage because the car was backed into a partially open garage door (the bumper was under the door).

The trunk in AL reduces the weight of the car. And as for it being soft, the trunk's collapse saved damage to the body that might have transferred through hinges and hinge mounts. So in my view, that was a good thing. The trunk is much less expensive than if the damage went beyond the trunk deck.

All that said; the total replacement cost is ~$2300 with $1000 my deductible. That is in the SF bay area where things are often more expensive than in other parts of the US.

I had the exact same damage in the PNW and am getting quotes north of $7-10K. Is it really that insane to replace this or are the body shops trying to screw me?

A little bit of both!

Teslas are not designed for easy of repair. Thus the +50+100% premium insurance rates on Teslas vs. comparable value vehicles.
The new large castings and frame-integrated 4680 batteries will only exacerbate this situation. Sadly.

a