Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trunk Lights Don't Always Turn On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibdb

Any excuse for a road trip
Apr 29, 2015
Puyallup, WA
I've searched through a few threads, but one was linked to a bad trunk latch and one was linked to lights not being connected. That's not my issue. It's also not a case of the lights being dim.

If I approach the car from the rear and open the trunk during a time when the car has been sleeping, the lights in the trunk don't turn on. If I wake the car by at least partially pressing on a door handle (the same thing I do to wake the car to allow me to disconnect the charging cable), and then open the trunk, the lights do turn on.

I don't remember the car always behaving this way, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention before. Anyone else see this, and is it something that you remember being an issue for some time? Is this somehow linked to a software update?

I had a problem where one of the lights wasn't turning on randomly and mobile service came out to look at it - of course it was working when they showed up. They swapped the left and right trunk LED lights and they were still both working. The tech said he'd request some remote diagnostics and someone would get back to me. Well no one got back to me but I also haven't seen the problem come back.

I realize that doesn't help you out much, just sharing my experience.

Reactions: ibdb
i'll have to check this out in the morning next time. the lighting in my garage is usually so that I don't need them anyway. i assume you've stuck your head inside and verified that no lights are on?
Dark garage, or dark at night when returning to the car. If I open the trunk before doing something else like moving a door handle, I don't seem to see the trunk lights turn on. They're easy to see when they're on, and obviously not coming on when I'm loading the trunk in the dark outside. It's odd.

i wonder if they're somehow connected to the ambient lighting profile. like when my SR+ suddenly had every light on the inside of the vehicle illuminate, even though they don't work on a normal basis. if the trunk is somehow set up in a "partial" profile, maybe it's not getting activated while the car is sleeping?

i wonder if they're somehow connected to the ambient lighting profile. like when my SR+ suddenly had every light on the inside of the vehicle illuminate, even though they don't work on a normal basis. if the trunk is somehow set up in a "partial" profile, maybe it's not getting activated while the car is sleeping?
I have the ambient lighting turned off, but that could be something to try. I'm more inclined to think that opening the trunk is one of the odd things that should wake the car that doesn't completely wake the car. It does allow me to remove the charge cable.

My 13 year old was actually the one who found the pattern for me. I thought there was just something wrong with the lights, but he was able to tell me when they worked and when they didn't. Good think I make him load his own backpack and saxophone in the morning.

Even if dim, there's a clear distinction between some light and no light. I'm looking to see if anyone else is seeing cases of no light when their car is waking up/still asleep with the trunk open.

Did you ever get a resolution for this? While the option to keep the car unlocked at home wasn't around when you posted this last December, I've noticed that the trunk light doesn't turn on when I open the trunk without my phone nearby while that feature is enabled. The absence of the phone key keeps the car from waking up fully, it seems. Again, not the same situation as yours since keep unlocked at home has only been around the summer, but maybe something helpful to know to figure out what's going on.

Did you ever get a resolution for this? While the option to keep the car unlocked at home wasn't around when you posted this last December, I've noticed that the trunk light doesn't turn on when I open the trunk without my phone nearby while that feature is enabled. The absence of the phone key keeps the car from waking up fully, it seems. Again, not the same situation as yours since keep unlocked at home has only been around the summer, but maybe something helpful to know to figure out what's going on.
Same for me - at home, the car is unlocked in the garage. If I open the trunk only, the trunk lights don't come on.

But, if I shut the trunk, open a side door then reopen the trunk, lights come on. A bit annoying since, I usually put stuff in the trunk first before I get in the car if I'm going somewhere.

Same for me - at home, the car is unlocked in the garage. If I open the trunk only, the trunk lights don't come on.

But, if I shut the trunk, open a side door then reopen the trunk, lights come on. A bit annoying since, I usually put stuff in the trunk first before I get in the car if I'm going somewhere.

Same with mine.

Thought it was just me, same issue here.

Glad it's not just me. Since posting that a few months ago, I've noticed it doesn't matter whether I have the phone nearby or not. The trunk light simply does not turn on when the car left unlocked unless the car is woken up by opening a door first. Seems like it would be an easy thing to fix with a firmware update.

My guess about this is the trunk lights are operating from the HV battery so if they are accidently left on it does not drain the weak 12V battery. True they are LED and not a high current draw and it really shouldn't matter.

At least that's my best guess. :D

Same exact problem here, too.
I just discovered this after having the control arms replaced. Control arms were deteriorating for two years Tesla said the noise was normal. Now after warranty they replaced them both for 177.00 labor included. I texted the trunk lamp issues they estimate Ranger repair by replacing both lights for 193.00. Car is in body shop for a kicked in door. I will further investigate the lights before paying more for lamps than control arms. Tesla is hiding something or avoiding a class action suit on control arm issues. They should fix their service centers.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna