Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 trunk not opening!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so today this morning my trunk worked just normal. Late afternoon. The trunk no longer opens with the button, touch screen or the app! I have to manually use the emergency latch to open it. The screen shows that it opens then it closes. But the trunk is completely stuck and can’t get into it. I have a model 3 standard range with manual trunk. Not the automatic. Anyone have anything on this?

so today this morning my trunk worked just normal. Late afternoon. The trunk no longer opens with the button, touch screen or the app! I have to manually use the emergency latch to open it. The screen shows that it opens then it closes. But the trunk is completely stuck and can’t get into it. I have a model 3 standard range with manual trunk. Not the automatic. Anyone have anything on this?
I'm a bit confused. So you don't have the auto trunk but your manual trunk doesn't unlatch to open, yes? So you have to fold down a rear seat and crawl into the trunk to access the emergency latch to open it. It sounds like to me the actuator has failed so if you're still under warranty contact Tesla to get it fixed, but I'm sure you know that already.

I'm a bit confused. So you don't have the auto trunk but your manual trunk doesn't unlatch to open, yes? So you have to fold down a rear seat and crawl into the trunk to access the emergency latch to open it. It sounds like to me the actuator has failed so if you're still under warranty contact Tesla to get it fixed, but I'm sure you know that already.
I meant to say it’s not the auto truck

Can you manual lift the trunk up after hitting the touch pad on the trunk? Could just be the strut is broken. Go into service mode and see if its kicking up any codes.
I don’t have the auto lift trunk. So when I push the button to open it don’t un latch. I have to crawl into the back to use the emergency opener. The touch pad don’t work. But it’s weird because when I push the touch pad the car lights up and it showed on the screen it opened but it don’t. So it knows I’m pushing it.

I don’t have the auto lift trunk. So when I push the button to open it don’t un latch. I have to crawl into the back to use the emergency opener. The touch pad don’t work. But it’s weird because when I push the touch pad the car lights up and it showed on the screen it opened but it don’t. So it knows I’m pushing it.
Can you manual lift the trunk up after hitting the touch pad on the trunk? Could just be the strut is broken. Go into service mode and see if it’s kicking up any codes.
Do you know where to go once I go into service mode to see if codes show up?

Same for me, trunk open work only via app, i think this is software problem
I have this issue just this afternoon. App can open but pressing the button just not working! Luckily I still have a few days of warranty left and booked an appt 1 day before it expires! I suppose that they will honor the warranty if they have to order parts and fix it after it expires?
To OP, do you have your issue resolved?

Last edited:
I have this issue just this afternoon. App can open but pressing the button just not working! Luckily I still have a few days of warranty left and booked an appt 1 day before it expires! I suppose that they will honor the warranty if they have to order parts and fix it after it expires?
To OP, do you have your issue resolved?
Yes pre-existing conditions will be a warranty repair.