Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trunk Vulnerable to burglar!!!Owners be aware!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, my bag got robbed from Model 3 trunk earlier this week.

Model 3 Owners be aware!!!

Go to your lock setting to check if you've disabled the Unlock on park feature. If this is enabled, Trunk unlocked whenever you park. Since they rushed you out in 5 minutes, I didn't know it and paid my premium.
Disable this feature so at least the trunk stay locked when you park. Checking surrounding before you get off the car.

When you open the door, no matter you enabled or disabled this feature, the trunk will unlock. If a burglar is nearby your car, your chance of get your belongings robbed is extremely high.

Don't keep your valuable in the trunk even when you are in the car.

Frunk is safer in this case but it is not in long term as it can be forced open as well.

Tesla confirmed that they design the trunk to be automatically unlocked when doors open for convenience.

How stupid that the engineers would think the world is so beautiful that security of the trunk is not a first priority!

The trunk, like your doors, also locks when you walk out of range. It's only unlocked when you're nearby. It's not stupid.
For the cars I owned before Tesla. Trunk never unlock by itself, only when I want it to.
In this case, if burglars follow you to when you park the car, the trunk is vulnerable.
Tried it for yourself. Don't start defend for Tesla. They even admitted it.

Long story short, my bag got robbed from Model 3 trunk earlier this week.

Model 3 Owners be aware!!!

Go to your lock setting to check if you've disabled the Unlock on park feature. If this is enabled, Trunk unlocked whenever you park. Since they rushed you out in 5 minutes, I didn't know it and paid my premium.
Disable this feature so at least the trunk stay locked when you park. Checking surrounding before you get off the car.

When you open the door, no matter you enabled or disabled this feature, the trunk will unlock. If a burglar is nearby your car, your chance of get your belongings robbed is extremely high.

Don't keep your valuable in the trunk even when you are in the car.

Frunk is safer in this case but it is not in long term as it can be forced open as well.

Tesla confirmed that they design the trunk to be automatically unlocked when doors open for convenience.

How stupid that the engineers would think the world is so beautiful that security of the trunk is not a first priority!

Robbery is theft plus force or threat of force. No one was robbed. Definitely not your bag. It may have been stolen... And I'm sorry to tell you that any door can be forced open. Also, if you allow someone to enter your trunk and steal something while you are in the car... well... Good luck in life friend.

How are people confused about this?

If the driver pulls into a parking spot. Places car in park. All doors unlock. Including the trunk.

If someone knows this. They can simply walk behind the car, wait until you place it park, and quickly open your trunk and snatch anything in it and run away.

It’s an oversight on tesla’s Part that the trunk unlocks when the driver is not outside the vehicle.

How are people confused about this?

If someone knows this. They can simply walk behind the car, wait until you place it park, and quickly open your trunk and snatch anything in it and run away.

It’s an oversight on tesla’s Part that the trunk unlocks when the driver is not outside the vehicle.

And if it happened to me in a “big company parking lot” and I was still in my car I would put it in drive and follow the person “running away”, while dialing 911 and direct the police right to the “robber”

Not confused at all.

And if it happened to me in a “big company parking lot” and I was still in my car I would put it in drive and follow the person “running away”, while dialing 911 and direct the police right to the “robber”

Not confused at all.
Others are confused as to why unlocking a trunk when you are not next to it is a bad design.

Chasing someone on foot while your in a car. And trying to dial 911 is also easier said than done

Others are confused as to why unlocking a trunk when you are not next to it is a bad design.

Chasing someone on foot while your in a car. And trying to dial 911 is also easier said than done

Not confused at all. A lot of vehicles like older SUVs often had their liftgate unlocked when the car was unlocked. Is it dumb, sure. Just be aware of your surroundings.

Reactions: mongo
Ok I’ll play along.

If you have 911 in your contacts you simply use voice command “call 911”

Really couldn’t be any easier

Remember we are in a “big company parking lot” not some back alley

Do you actually drive a Model 3?
I pick my M3 up on Tuesday. I don’t think I need a M3 to know what a electronic trunk lock, burglar, and 911 is though.

Are you saying that you’ve had a situation like this happen to you before thus you’ve memorized the exact actions you’d take?

Cuz personally, I’d panic first, and continue my initial motions of exiting my car, and hen proceed to chase the guy down on foot. Just being realistic

I know this is unusual for sedans, but my old station wagon (MB E320) unlocked the hatch when the door was opened. And I think my wife's several SUV's were similar. In fact, I don't think the Highlander or Subaru automatically locked the hatch, so it would often be possible to pop the hatch when someone is stopped in traffic. Since I haven't heard of a rash of thefts from occupied cars, I find it hard to believe there are many thieves willing to risk getting caught for the possibility of some hidden bounty, especially in a concealed carry state like Texas.

Reactions: mongo and Point 3
I pick my M3 up on Tuesday. I don’t think I need a M3 to know what a electronic trunk lock, burglar, and 911 is though.

Are you saying that you’ve had a situation like this happen to you before thus you’ve memorized the exact actions you’d take?

Cuz personally, I’d panic first, and continue my initial motions of exiting my car, and hen proceed to chase the guy down on foot. Just being realistic

There’s an old saying “if it doesn’t make sense, it’s probably not true”

I think we are being trolled here folks

Reactions: Redwood and bhzmark
Guys, if we can get back to a solution here hahaha. Because now I’m curious too. OP mentioned the unlock in Park setting...

So if we turn this off, we’re good? Does that mean I can’t go to trunk after I Park from outside and open myself?

5a7a3336136ec51d008b4a05-750-562.jpg