Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trunk won’t open [aftermarket powered trunk kit installed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the TeslaOffer electric trunk lift gate system (similar to hannshow) about 2 years ago and it has worked great. It stopped working the other day for no apparent reason. I cannot open/close from screen, app and can’t open from handle on trunk. I can only open by opening seat back crawling into trunk and pushing emergency release. I can confirm that the Teslaoffer control unit is not powering on (red power light is off). This tells me there is one of two possible issues; bad control unit or problem with Tesla wiring not getting power to the control box.

I have 2 questions I am hoping someone can help with:

1) what is the best way to test to ensure power is getting to the control unit?

2) if I disconnected the Tesla offer control unit (just the wiring to the control box) should manual release work; meaning do you know if once the electric opener is installed does the exterior manual release rely on power from the control unit?

Worth noting; I have contacted Teslaoffer on this as well, but it has been slow back/forth so nothing conclusive yet.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Massive Attack
Ok, I think it is definitely the controller unit. I disconnected the Y cable in the hatch and connected the power from Tesla directly to the handle. I was then able to open the trunk through normal factory processes. I then reconnected to the Y cable and tested the purple connector, which connects to the control unit to give it power and confirmed it is receiving power. So we know there is power all the way to the unit, but the unit doesn’t turn on (no red light).

TeslaOffer (now called EVoffer), had me short the two pins inside the power plug of the control unit to release the charge and retry. That didn’t do anything. So they believe it is the controller unit and will be sending a replacement unit. Unfortunately no longer under warranty so it will cost me $50, but not a big deal if it solves the problem.

I will provide an update once I receive the new controller unit and replace it.

Reactions: Massive Attack
Upvote 0
Ok, I think it is definitely the controller unit. I disconnected the Y cable in the hatch and connected the power from Tesla directly to the handle. I was then able to open the trunk through normal factory processes. I then reconnected to the Y cable and tested the purple connector, which connects to the control unit to give it power and confirmed it is receiving power. So we know there is power all the way to the unit, but the unit doesn’t turn on (no red light).

TeslaOffer (now called EVoffer), had me short the two pins inside the power plug of the control unit to release the charge and retry. That didn’t do anything. So they believe it is the controller unit and will be sending a replacement unit. Unfortunately no longer under warranty so it will cost me $50, but not a big deal if it solves the problem.

1B388CBD-A35B-43F8-BD06-4E49BAB00923.jpeg

Upvote 0

I hope it was just a bad unit, and the replacement works for you. I have one sitting on the shelf that I want to install, but am waiting until after my annual service appointment, this week. There is a recall on the seatbelt anchors. Love the Frunk kit, and was easy to install.

Upvote 0