Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Turn Signals... ARGH!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well. Looks like a supplier's going to be shipping a lot of replacement parts.... first big batch of defective parts for Model 3. :-(

Unfortunately that means a bunch of people with the problem are going to have to wait until the batch of replacement stalks comes in. Still, call your service center and get the order in, so that Tesla knows how large a replacement batch is needed.

When I changed lanes I'd put on the blinker (sending all the way up or down) and then I couldn't get the darn thing turned off. Every time I tried I'd end up with it blinking continuously in the other direction. My friends were in hysterics.
Count me in this camp!

Left...right...left...right...screams from behind: "hey, which way you're going?"

So, did you find you need stalk control module replaced or you got used to this? I'm still to do the scientific testing with counting the clicks and stalk positions...

the malfunctioning stalk certainly caused me to over-react and do the same alternating blinker thing...the new, functioning one is a joy....I like the electrical, rather than mechanical implementation - e.g., you can turn off a continuous blinker by moving the stalk slightly in EITHER direction...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
My month-old 3 works fine, but my brother, who is new to Tesla, picked up his 3 two weeks ago and he is having the same issue with his turn signals as you - only on the left turns. He's going in for service on that and a couple minor frunk/trunk lid alignment issues next week.

My brother dropped off his 3 after work yesterday and went home in an S loaner. He picked up his 3 after work today. They had replaced the stalk control module and tweaked alignment of his frunk and trunk hoods, his delivery due bill items. Working fine now. He’s happy.

How do you compare the blinker stalk resistance to your other vehicles? I noticed that the Model 3 stalk has noticeably more resistance than my previous vehicle. This further complicated the adjustment period and process.

I find the resistance to get past the first detent to be annoyingly high. This occassiinally contributes to me accidentally turning on my brights (by accidentally pulling the stalk toward me) when all I’m trying to do is turn on my turn signal.

It’s probably happened on average once a week. Now I find myself focusing way more attention on precisely how I actuate the turn signal stalk than any driver should.

I find the resistance to get past the first detent to be annoyingly high. This occassiinally contributes to me accidentally turning on my brights (by accidentally pulling the stalk toward me) when all I’m trying to do is turn on my turn signal.
That's odd. Mine works quite well. Yours might need a little lubrication. You could try checking out a couple of the demo cars to compare.

Welp, I did some testing... and... It's quite possibly my turn signal stalk is defective.

I have the exact same issue as @Eno Deb it turns out.

Testing:
  • Left (Down) Light Press: Continuous
  • Left (Down) Long Press: Continuous
  • Left (Down) Light Press To Cancel Continuous Blinker: Does Not Cancel (Most likely because it's thinking I'm doing a Long Press)
  • Right (Up) Light Press: 3 Blinks
  • Right (Up) Long Press: Continuous
  • Right (Up) Light Press To Cancel Continuous Blinker: Cancels

It is defective. This is how my AWD is behaving when I picked it up last night. I couldn't find a way to turn it OFF at first because I kept pressing DOWN but later found out I had to move the stick UP. This is not how it works in my RWD. Right stick is okay and behaves the same as my RWD. Up to blink and Up to turn Off.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Welp, I did some testing... and... It's quite possibly my turn signal stalk is defective.

I have the exact same issue. Did you get a part replaced? Or just a software fix? I just took delivery of the car this week and this malfunction has been bothering me thinking it was me. Currently on the side of the road troubleshooting it and came to realize it is not me, but the car lol lol. @Eno Deb it turns out.

Testing:
  • Left (Down) Light Press To Cancel Continuous Blinker: Does Not Cancel (Most likely because it's thinking I'm doing a Long Press)
Other notes:
  • If I "Ever So Lightly"™ go Left (Down) on the stalk, I can get it to the 3-Blinks.
  • Once the Left blinker is on Continuous, a Left (Down) Light press doesn't cancel, but if I do an "Ever So Lightly"™ Left Down, it'll stop blinking then suddenly "hiccup" back to Continuous.
  • Only way I can cancel a Left Continuous blinker other than steering wheel motion, is to signal Right (Up) Light Press. But if I go hard, then now I'm Right blinker Continuous. :D
I'll be contacting the Service Center shortly to schedule. Thanks all!
I have your exact same issue.

Reactions: beachmiles
No it isn't. A turn signal isn't there to tell people you're maneuvering, it's there to tell people that you intend to maneuver and that you're maneuvering (rather than driving badly). You shouldn't even make the maneuver until your signal has been on for 2 seconds in order to allow for reaction time of other drivers. By that time, 3 flashes would be done on average.
Along these lines, some people like CuriousG at Turn signal “discussion” seem to advocate making unsafe lane changes. :rolleyes:

I just picked up my model 3 three days ago and I have the same left turn problem. When I do the semi push down to the first click which is supposed to be for 3 blinks it often times blinks continuously like 70% of the time. It's very difficult to just get 3 blinks on the left turn signal. It's either not calibrated right or something.

The right turn signal appears to work properly so far 100% of the time from what I recall.

Even though this isn't the topic. I also can't connect to car for summon feature.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
AWD non-P delivered last week, same issue with the left. I was totally unable to activate 3 flashes on multiple tries of stopping at the detent, I would only get continuous at detent and full down. Right seems to work as intended. Emailed my closest service center hoping for a ranger since we live 3 hours away.

I have the exact same issue as @Eno Deb it turns out.

Testing:
Other notes:
  • If I "Ever So Lightly"™ go Left (Down) on the stalk, I can get it to the 3-Blinks.
  • Once the Left blinker is on Continuous, a Left (Down) Light press doesn't cancel, but if I do an "Ever So Lightly"™ Left Down, it'll stop blinking then suddenly "hiccup" back to Continuous.
  • Only way I can cancel a Left Continuous blinker other than steering wheel motion, is to signal Right (Up) Light Press. But if I go hard, then now I'm Right blinker Continuous. :D
I'll be contacting the Service Center shortly to schedule. Thanks all!
Add me to the list for this issue. I do wonder if it could be fixed with SW since all functions are present, just off on their behavior.

I was just notified by my SC Manager that the entire steering column control module has been reworked by the factory and are releasing a new part revision to replace part # 1097662-00-K. I'm patiently waiting for the new revision that my SC ordered.
Interesting. Do you know if this new part is already available or they are currently still using the old one when replacing the module? There are several reports on the forum from people who already got theirs replaced and it apparently solved the problem.