Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 turned off while parked. I could open door and frunk with the phone, but had to use the key card to start it. What happened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 turned off after 3 days of parking at an airport while connected to ChargePoint. I could open the door and the frunk with the phone app, but I could only start the car with my key card. I've had the car for 2 1/2 years, and this is the first time this happened. What happened?

When you say open with the app- do you mean opening the app and hitting the button to do it? The app works from anywhere for that, requiring no local connection direct to the car.

Phone as key however (opening door with the physical handle when locked, or starting it just by pressing brake rather than button in app) requires bluetooth...

App should have a phone as key DISCONNECTED or CONNECTED status listed--- once in a while I have to toggle BT to get it back to connected- dunno why but it's pretty rare.

Upvote 0
When you say open with the app- do you mean opening the app and hitting the button to do it? The app works from anywhere for that, requiring no local connection direct to the car.

Phone as key however (opening door with the physical handle when locked, or starting it just by pressing brake rather than button in app) requires bluetooth...

App should have a phone as key DISCONNECTED or CONNECTED status listed--- once in a while I have to toggle BT to get it back to connected- dunno why but it's pretty rare.
When I tried to open the app, it just keep spinning on "waking up". It didn't actually "wake up" until I got home.

Upvote 0
I had something similar happen with the active key fob just the other week. I was literally inside the car (it didn't turn off or lock, I only hopped out to load groceries) and it refused to start with my foot on the brake. I could use the key fob buttons to lock/unlock but the car wasn't sensing the key for some reason. Ended up using key card to lock/unlock. Working normally since then.

Upvote 0