Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 two-thumb reboot fails: black screen

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
For those fascinated by our travails, here's an update.

The car was towed to Tesla in Bend Saturday. Tuesday we got a diagnosis: the MCU is toast. About $2100 and a week+ to repair (time mostly awaiting parts). I looked at the estimate and noticed it included replacing the 12V. Apparently the MCU failure did something that somehow harmed the battery. I mentioned that I'd replaced the 12V last year. The service guy and I both looked at the records and discovered it was exactly a year before to the day that the new 12V went in, so they're covering that part as warranty, bringing the job down to $1995. Still, ouch!

If all goes well, I'll pick it up 1 September.

Reactions: GtiMart

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC