TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 UI concerns, a wiki

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by TMC Staff, Mar 12, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. TMC Staff

#1 TMC Staff, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited by Enginerd: May 16, 2019 at 7:13 AM
    I have been looking for a place to keep issues I am having with the car, I keep forgetting about them, or they get solved and I don't update my notes about them. Just one place that I can share with others. Since there isn't a Tesla Wiki I thought I would use the one on TMC to organize my thoughts, others should add their own or update the wiki as needed.

Suggestions

Watch as key, TeslaFi style info in Tesla app, Car Wash Mode
    Graphical BlueTooth Music interface, Schedule of charge finish time
    PIN for glovebox
    Jun 2018
    Chademo Support. And don't turn on the AC or Heat if no one is sitting in the car.Apr 9, 19
    Music window closes other windows and won't return them when it's closedApr 27, 19
    Shortcut to Change Audio SourceApr 7, 19
    A way to close the air off like you can in a car with ventsMar 31, 19
    Frickin' VENT mode like all other cars have, no heat, no AC, don't even track the temp, I'll set the fan myself.Mar 27, 19
    Allow adjusting the frequency of the Auto Windshield Wipers if you feel it's too much or littleMar 27, 19
    Defrost button that if the air was off before I hit it, turns it back off after a few minutesMar 27, 19
    Make Bug Reports editable in Tesla AppMar 12, 19
    √ Reduce NoA suggestions to change lanes if above the speed limit even if below set-speedMar 12, 19
    √ When making a Service Appt. in App don’t lose all info you entered if you navigate away from that pageMar 12, 19
    √ Can we limit horn-on-lock to daytime hoursMar 12, 19
    √ If you have too many home-link locations the menu drops down and covers the rearview camera imageMar 12, 19

Desires maybe after FSD is working

App store for things like SiriusXM, Spotify, Pandora, Winds and Elevation, etc...Mar 27, 19
    Implement Platooning, Convoy Mode so one car can control another behind it, or severalMar 27, 19
    Gesture or motion that tells the car to open the Trunk/Frunk w/o using the AppMar 27, 19
    Add a mini-Energy Graph Card where the Wipers and Tire Pressure Cards liveMar 27, 19
    AutoPilot should recognize and avoid pot holes, can the car feel pain?Mar 27, 19
    Allow the Web Browser to optionally cover only half the map so you can see bothMar 27, 19
    Add your Altitude and Prevailing Winds to the mapMar 27, 19
    Allow waypoints in Navigation or optional routes to make the trip more to your likingMar 27, 19
    Allow greater following distance than 7, perhaps make this one go to 11, for rain or snow conditionsMar 21, 19
    Allow answer/hangup of phone calls from steering wheelMar 13, 19
    Allow voice dial a specific number in a contact. i.e, "Call John Doe, mobile"Mar 13, 19
    Allow navigation to a contact's address. i.e., "Navigate to John Doe work"Mar 13, 19
    Long-Press of voice button should activate Siri/Google AssistantMar 13, 19
    UMC button should allow cable release in the AM w/o opening doorsMar 13, 19
    Wireless Apple CarPlay / Android AutoMar 13, 19
    √ Allow iPhone mic to be used for Siri and dictation. Only use car mic for phone callsMar 12, 19
    √ Turn signal indicator should grow bigger or louder the longer you leave it onMar 12, 19
    √ How to update the car’s image to reflect which rims are installed?Mar 12, 19

Bugs

Allow Cruise Control even when TACC sensors are blocked, just drop to normal CC with a warning bannerMar 27, 19
    Side mirrors don't remember their position when in reverse even if you save itMar 27, 19
    Bluetooth phone call audio connect prematurely before the driver has entered vehicleMar 27, 19
    Car should NEVER cross the centerline, heck don't cross any lines you don't mean to!Mar 27, 19
    Car not always able to adjust to speed limit changes, it shows them on the display but the Set Speed doesn't always changeMar 12, 19
    √ indicates submitted to a Tesla Employee and registered in the database

Elon Model 3 Promises

If you purchased FSD you will receive the AutoPilot computer for freeMar 29, '19
    Netflix or USB video on center displayLong Ago
    Support for tow hitchLong Ago
    Summon from remote locationLong Ago
    $35,000 base carLong Ago
    Would love a RWD aftermarket option to use the space where the AWD 2nd motor goes. I can envision a gasoline hydronic heater, or a drinking water chiller, someone suggested a car vacuum. Items that you don't need access to the full item, just access to the tank cap under the hood.

-Randy

Recent software updates and features

VERSION
    2019.16.1.1 697c2ff​
    2019.16 28e1f16​
    2019.12.1.2 5c87371​
    2019.12.1.1 4b1dd29​
    2019.12.1 d9eaf40​
    2019.12 cb68c3d​
    2019.9 8282d10​
    2019.8.5 3aaa23d​
    2019.8.4 530d1d3​
    2019.8.3 da116a6​
    Software updates: request when available
    YES​
    NEW​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    Sentry mode: location-based settings
    YES​
    NEW​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    Lane Departure Avoidance (& Emergency LDA)
    YES​
    NEW​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    Driving Visualization
    YES​
    NEW​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    Conditional speed limits
    YES​
    NEW​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    V3 Supercharger & 150 kW
    YES​
    YES​
    YES​
    YES​
    NEW​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    On-route battery warmup
    YES​
    YES​
    YES​
    YES​
    YES​
    NEW​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    Chrome-based web browser
    YES​
    YES​
    YES​
    YES​
    YES​
    NEW​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    Enhanced summon
    no​
    no​
    no​
    no​
    no​
    no​
    NEW​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    NOA: remove stalk confirmation (HW 2.5)
    YES​
    YES​
    YES​
    YES​
    YES​
    YES​
    YES​
    NEW​
    n/a​
    n/a​
    325 mi range (LR RWD)
    ?​
    ?​
    ?​
    ?​
    ?​
    ?​
    ?​
    ?​
    ?​
    ?​
    -Enginerd

2019.12 Supercharger Improvements, High-Speed Performance, Software Update Downloader, Teslatari: 2048 & Super Breakout, On-Route Battery Warmup, Auto High-Beam, Added Languages Support, Updated Web Browser, Customizable TPMS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2019.8 Peak Performance Increase (5%), Autosteer Stop Light warning, Navigation on Autopilot w/o Confirmations, Dynamic Brake Lights (UK)

[​IMG]

2019.7 (Limited release) Supercharger Improvements, On-Route Battery Warmup

[​IMG]

2019.5 Sentry Mode, Dog Mode, Summon with Key Fob, Side Cam Dash Cam

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2019.4 Blindspot Warning Chime, Geofenced Folding Mirrors

[​IMG]

2018.50 Cold Weather Improvements: charge port thaw

[​IMG]

2018.48 Keep Climate On (Camper Mode), Seat Heater control from App, Romance Mode, Emissions Testing Mode, Teslatari Pole Position and USB Game Controller, PIN to Drive, Mobile App shows local Superchargers

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2018.46 Cold Weather Improvements: Window and Charge port freeze protections

[​IMG]

2018.44 3D Climate Controls, Mobile Access protected by a password

[​IMG]

2018.42 Navigate on AutoPilot, Key Fob Support, Increased Regenerative Braking

[​IMG]

2018.40 Combined AutoSteer and Auto Lane Change, added Blindspot Warning, and DashCam functionality

2018.39 V9 introducing Calendar, Energy, and Browser Apps, Obstacle-Aware Acceleration, TeslAtari, and updated Mobile App

[​IMG]

Tesla Offical Info: Discover Software Version 9.0

2. ftlum

ftlum Member

• Helpful x 1
  3. hugh_jassol

hugh_jassol Member

#3 hugh_jassol, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    [I ADDED THESE TO WIKI POST]

Here's what I consider my "Top 5" glaring omissions from this price class, not to mention a company that prides itself on being the most technologically advanced:
    • Answer/hangup a phone call with the steering wheel buttons
    • Call a specific number in a contact. Example, "Call John Doe, Mobile" should use the "mobile" entry of John Doe's contact info. (now it brings up John Doe and I have to scroll on screen and manually select which number)
    • Navigate to a contact's address. Example "Navigate to John Doe Work" would navigate to John Doe's work address - not do a an internet search for "John Doe Work"
    • Allow long-press of Voice button to invoke Siri or Google Assistant - this is how it works lots of other cars. Short-press (i.e., click) gets you Tesla's voice assistant, and long-press ( hold for 1s) get's you your phone's.
    And if you really want to go for gold:
    • Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto

4. hugh_jassol

hugh_jassol Member

What is the process by which one gets these "in the database" at Tesla?

5. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

Chat or call the support lines. I had the regional support guy on the phone as I had an appointment coming up. The local service centers assign a regional support person to work with you to diagnose the issue BEFORE arriving at the shop, so they know what they are going to do and what parts should be available in case they need to be replaced.

He was the one that told me that submitting a bug report in the car stays in the car, and doesn't make it into the improvements database.

I have been keeping a list of my own issues, just thought it would be nice to have a place where I can share the list with others that may want to make changes or additions. I am marking the ones I submitted and if I speak to a tech in the future I'll submit the new ones too.

-Randy

6. Randy Spencer

Not sure how it would work to answer the phone. Just click on the right scroll wheel? And if you want to invoke Siri with a long press what happens to the ability to press and hold to sample your voice you now have? I like being able to clip just the part where I am saying something as someone in the car ALWAYS starts talking the second I shut up because they don't know I am talking to the car.

Maybe you could double-click the right scroll wheel instead to wake up Siri. I am tired of how long it takes to talk to Siri THRU Bluetooth. As I stated above I wish it would optionally allow you to not have Siri go thru the car mic. Perhaps this is a request for Apple.

There are a LOT of things I wish I could ask the car to do, not just connect to Contacts. Seems like EVERYTHING in the car should have a call out. I wonder if this is the deal they struck with Google and until they bring speech recognition into the car themselves there will be no new features added to it.

-Randy

7. hugh_jassol

hugh_jassol Member

1) Yes, just click the right button to answer or hang up (if already on the phone). This is the way it's worked on every other car I've owned that had bluetooth phone integration.

2) On the three cars I've owned/leased with built-in voice recognition - they all worked where "click" gets you the car's voice assistant and a press-for-a-second gets you siri or andriod auto. I just assumed this was an "industry standard" until I got the Model 3.

I'm not sure what you mean about pressing and holding to sample your voice. I think you can <click><say whatever to the car><click> - no need to keep the button pressed.

8. Randy Spencer

Ah, guess I could do that. I have always either held while I talk or <click> Say what I want and then wait for Google to figure out I'm done. But that is a fine option, thanks. Now if we can get Tesla to implement it.

-Randy

9. bsilva

bsilva Member

I'd like the ability to close the vents (each side separately). My wife won't even ride in the car with me anymore because she wants the vents closed and no amount of positioning the flow works for her.

• Like x 1
  10. Randy Spencer

A table was added to the Wiki showing additions to each software update.

11. Randy Spencer

@Enginerd I like what you did with the Updates Table.

As you can see I added the pics from all the V9 updates Release Notes that I could find. Including a link to where the notes could be found for each. I know you just did a bunch with color coding the table and reversing the organization, but do you think you still have the link to the information that is posted in the table? Like how do we know the Neural Net was updated in 7.11, an Elon Tweet? I don't find any notes about it.

I also removed some of the duplicate entries that you put back. I figure we can assume that features are NOT changed if the OS is not listed, so we don't need to list 19.8.3 & .4 if they have the same features as 19.8.2. Do you agree? Just looking to make the chart easier to read.

-Randy

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.