Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 UI concerns, a wiki

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
[For a short time this post was recording new features in software updates, but it is no longer being maintained, for better updates check out: Tesla Software Updates - Not a Tesla App]

I have been looking for a place to keep issues I am having with the car, I keep forgetting about them, or they get solved and I don't update my notes about them. Just one place that I can share with others. Since there isn't a Tesla Wiki I thought I would use the one on TMC to organize my thoughts, others should add their own or update the wiki as needed.

Suggestions
Watch as key, TeslaFi style info in Tesla app, Car Wash Mode
Graphical BlueTooth Music interface, Schedule of charge finish time
PIN for glovebox
Jun 2018
Allow adjusting the frequency of the Auto Windshield Wipers if you feel it's too much or littleMar 27, 19
Defrost button that if the air was off before I hit it, turns it back off after a few minutesMar 27, 19
Make Bug Reports editable in Tesla AppMar 12, 19

Desires maybe after FSD is working
App store for things like SiriusXM, Pandora, Winds and Elevation, etc...Mar 27, 19
Implement Platooning, Convoy Mode so one car can control another behind it, or severalMar 27, 19
Gesture or motion that tells the car to open the Trunk/Frunk w/o using the AppMar 27, 19
Add a mini-Energy Graph Card where the Wipers and Tire Pressure Cards liveMar 27, 19
AutoPilot should recognize and avoid pot holes, can the car feel pain?Mar 27, 19
Allow the Web Browser to optionally cover only half the map so you can see bothMar 27, 19
Add Altitude and Prevailing Winds to the mapMar 27, 19
Allow waypoints in Navigation or optional routes to make the trip more to your likingMar 27, 19
Allow greater following distance than 7, perhaps make this one go to 11, for rain or snow conditionsMar 21, 19
Long-Press of voice button should activate Siri/Google AssistantMar 13, 19

Bugs
Allow Cruise Control even when TACC sensors are blocked, just drop to normal CC with a warning bannerMar 27, 19
Side mirrors don't remember their position when in reverse even if you save itMar 27, 19

-Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
[I ADDED THESE TO WIKI POST]

Here's what I consider my "Top 5" glaring omissions from this price class, not to mention a company that prides itself on being the most technologically advanced:
  • Answer/hangup a phone call with the steering wheel buttons
  • Call a specific number in a contact. Example, "Call John Doe, Mobile" should use the "mobile" entry of John Doe's contact info. (now it brings up John Doe and I have to scroll on screen and manually select which number)
  • Navigate to a contact's address. Example "Navigate to John Doe Work" would navigate to John Doe's work address - not do a an internet search for "John Doe Work"
  • Allow long-press of Voice button to invoke Siri or Google Assistant - this is how it works lots of other cars. Short-press (i.e., click) gets you Tesla's voice assistant, and long-press ( hold for 1s) get's you your phone's.
And if you really want to go for gold:
  • Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto

Last edited:
Chat or call the support lines. I had the regional support guy on the phone as I had an appointment coming up. The local service centers assign a regional support person to work with you to diagnose the issue BEFORE arriving at the shop, so they know what they are going to do and what parts should be available in case they need to be replaced.

He was the one that told me that submitting a bug report in the car stays in the car, and doesn't make it into the improvements database.

I have been keeping a list of my own issues, just thought it would be nice to have a place where I can share the list with others that may want to make changes or additions. I am marking the ones I submitted and if I speak to a tech in the future I'll submit the new ones too.

-Randy

• Answer/hangup a phone call with the steering wheel buttons
  • Call a specific number in a contact. Example, "Call John Doe, Mobile" should use the "mobile" entry of John Doe's contact info. (now it brings up John Doe and I have to scroll on screen and manually select which number)
  • Navigate to a contact's address. Example "Navigate to John Doe Work" would navigate to John Doe's work address - not do a an internet search for "John Doe Work"
  • Allow long-press of Voice button to invoke Siri or Google Assistant - this is how it works lots of other cars. Short-press (i.e., click) gets you Tesla's voice assistant, and long-press ( hold for 1s) get's you your phone's.
Not sure how it would work to answer the phone. Just click on the right scroll wheel? And if you want to invoke Siri with a long press what happens to the ability to press and hold to sample your voice you now have? I like being able to clip just the part where I am saying something as someone in the car ALWAYS starts talking the second I shut up because they don't know I am talking to the car.

Maybe you could double-click the right scroll wheel instead to wake up Siri. I am tired of how long it takes to talk to Siri THRU Bluetooth. As I stated above I wish it would optionally allow you to not have Siri go thru the car mic. Perhaps this is a request for Apple.

There are a LOT of things I wish I could ask the car to do, not just connect to Contacts. Seems like EVERYTHING in the car should have a call out. I wonder if this is the deal they struck with Google and until they bring speech recognition into the car themselves there will be no new features added to it.

-Randy

Not sure how it would work to answer the phone. Just click on the right scroll wheel? And if you want to invoke Siri with a long press what happens to the ability to press and hold to sample your voice you now have? I like being able to clip just the part where I am saying something as someone in the car ALWAYS starts talking the second I shut up because they don't know I am talking to the car.

1) Yes, just click the right button to answer or hang up (if already on the phone). This is the way it's worked on every other car I've owned that had bluetooth phone integration.

2) On the three cars I've owned/leased with built-in voice recognition - they all worked where "click" gets you the car's voice assistant and a press-for-a-second gets you siri or andriod auto. I just assumed this was an "industry standard" until I got the Model 3.

I'm not sure what you mean about pressing and holding to sample your voice. I think you can <click><say whatever to the car><click> - no need to keep the button pressed.

Ah, guess I could do that. I have always either held while I talk or <click> Say what I want and then wait for Google to figure out I'm done. But that is a fine option, thanks. Now if we can get Tesla to implement it.

-Randy

@Enginerd I like what you did with the Updates Table.

As you can see I added the pics from all the V9 updates Release Notes that I could find. Including a link to where the notes could be found for each. I know you just did a bunch with color coding the table and reversing the organization, but do you think you still have the link to the information that is posted in the table? Like how do we know the Neural Net was updated in 7.11, an Elon Tweet? I don't find any notes about it.

I also removed some of the duplicate entries that you put back. I figure we can assume that features are NOT changed if the OS is not listed, so we don't need to list 19.8.3 & .4 if they have the same features as 19.8.2. Do you agree? Just looking to make the chart easier to read.

-Randy