Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 UK PCP Price Calculator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did further research on this and Tesla are bumping up the price in Europe by over 10%. So for the SR+, I think we are looking at the french price before incentive of €48,600 x 0.89 = £43,254 then minus UK incentive. So down to £39,755. So over the £40000 tax threshold and way over my budget. Let’s home I’m wrong or we can order the standard range non plus. Guess we will find out tomorrow or Thursday.

Don't forget to add the £1,600 tax to that. So £41,355 all said and done.

Sounds about right. All the talk of £26k Model 3s was never realistic.

£42,400 for the cheapest mode. Add on £1,600 in luxury car tax. £40,500 after plug in grant.

Edit: Correction, I didn't include the £10k deposit in the calculation.

£710/month HP for the first year, then £735/month for the next 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im so disapointed. I could possibly have stretched to a SR+... if I economised other areas of my life... but without FSD and Spotify/Maps with traffic (the software part of Premium interior and no clear answer on if they will ever be available) I fear id have massive FOMO (fear of missing out) coupled with a massive bill each month. I earn a decent salary too!

Im out.

Reactions: 1 person
Wait - what are you seeing? its 38,050 for the SR+? or did you write this before it was released...

£38,050 is the base price for the SR+ including the £3,500 grant. You then have to add on the Tesla documentation fee. If you go through to the end of the order process you will see it comes out at £38,900 with the grant.

So £42,400 before the grant. Which means you have to pay the luxury car tax of £1,600, bringing the total price up to £44,000.

But yes, you would "only" pay £40,500 for the car, including tax.

If you want Hire Purchase note that the headline figure quoted by Tesla includes a £10,000 deposit. If you spread that over the 60 month HP term it brings the price up to £710/month, assuming you qualify for their lowest interest rate.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
if I economised other areas of my life... but without FSD

Bottom line: Tesla need the cash ... so everything Premium is up for grabs first, then less-premium later ... I think unfortunate in "bundling in" Autopilot that they have pulled-out some key elements to FSD.

£5K for FSD is a huge leap, maybe less so for a £100K purchase, but for a £40K purchase its A LOT ...

An option is to buy without and then wait for Tesla to do a fire-sale of FSD. Worst case I would gamble that you will get it for £4.9K, rather than £6.8K after-purchase sticker-price. And by the time they do the fire-sale there will be more features to help justify the purchase.

But, yeah, not much for your money in FSD at present ... and for people who bought FSD when it first came out they've had pretty much nothing [in addition to standard AP] for a couple of years or more. Elon pushing the boundaries is to be admired, and if he gets there in the end bully-for-him, but folk paying for expectation, during that time, is not great

In my opinion, buzbe's methodology is spot on. It's reasonable to expect prices starting from around £38k before plug-in-grant. That's not what we see this morning - what's going on, are they soaking us for an extra 10%?

Tesla have always come across to me as somewhat disorganised, prone to making things up as they go along. Personally I think the most likely explanation is that whoever was doing the pricing simply forgot to adjust for the plug-in-grant. Yes the purchase pages mention it, but that'll be boiler plate pulled in from the UK model S/X pages. It doesn't mean they actually remembered it when they came up with the numbers.

So I'm hopeful we can expect this to sort itself out with time, and the SR+ slip under the £40k list price point where we volunteer for an extra £1600 road tax.

Also, their US federal tax rebate takes another dive at end of June. This one won't have slipped their attention, a global price cut is quite likely in July...

In my opinion, buzbe's methodology is spot on. It's reasonable to expect prices starting from around £38k before plug-in-grant. That's not what we see this morning - what's going on, are they soaking us for an extra 10%?

Today's prices are in line with other EU countries. The Model 3 is an expensive, luxury car... Without the luxury parts. We have known that they couldn't get near their planned $35k price for a long time now, and they eventually had to release a compliance model to meet the promise but made it very difficult to buy and lost money on it.

Tesla have always come across to me as somewhat disorganised, prone to making things up as they go along.

That's being generous. Another way of looking at is is that Musk tweeted about it costing less than £33k back in 2016, then kept your £1000 deposit for years, earning interest and using it to fund the company, and then sprung an extra £10k on you.

I've asked for my deposit to be returned. Let's see how long it takes.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I've asked for my deposit to be returned. Let's see how long it takes.

I expect they have had enough refunds to have that process mechanised now, but 3 years ago I placed an order because price was going up. I needed Max Lead Time, price update was delayed, I cancelled and re-ordered a few weeks later just before actual price increase, and re-deposited, but it took weeks to get my "no hassle refund" back ... because Senior Manager had to approve it (why?)

Last edited:
  • Informative
@buzbe I find Tesla's base car pricing (pre plug-in-grant) does fit on a straight line.
Excluding the (cheap in the UK) Model S Performance

upload_2019-5-2_10-51-13.png

It just doesn't have a zero intercept - or anything like it.

Least squares line (as drawn above) is GBP = USD * 0.88 + £7100
At the current exchange rate, this is UK = US * 1.15 + £7100

The slope is strangely low (VAT explains 20% for example) and the intercept strangely high (transport of a single car from the US to UK is well under £1000, never mind a ship full of them).

These cancel nicely up around Model S prices, but down at Model 3 prices we're being had for mugs!

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-2_10-37-29.png
    upload_2019-5-2_10-37-29.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 60
  • upload_2019-5-2_10-48-25.png
    upload_2019-5-2_10-48-25.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 37
They charge a lot of bigger batteries. Kinda like how Apple charges way over the odds for memory on the iPhone.

For example Kia charges about £4k for an extra 25kWh. Tesla charges £9k for an extra 13kWh, although you get a few other bits in the car as well.

They charge a lot of bigger batteries

If you can't just "I want the biggest/best" afford it the maths is tricky and only favours relative frequent long distance drivers who value their time. £10,000 for an extra 50 miles range is 200 quid a mile :eek:

My typical Supercharger visit has most of the people who were there when I arrived still there when I left. I assume they are either smaller battery, or tight and want free juice.

With bigger battery I can:

Go further Natch! So some trips I don't need Supercharger (but would with smaller battery)
I go further before charging, so I need less at a charge
I can skip Supercharger - so I can reach one that is further away - that might avoid detour (to the nearer one), and I will charge faster because my battery will be closer to empty
I charge faster - same %age-per-minute, so with bigger battery that is more miles gain per unit time.
The 20-mile just-in-case buffer has less, percentage-wise, impact on my total range
I charge less [often] (for the same miles driven), so at 100,000 miles I have less degradation ... I think :rolleyes:
I put a value on that with my Man Maths Calculator and it came to £10,000 ...

... comparison of 0-60 times had nothing to do with it :)

I had a similar conversation with my Sprog about SR+ vs. LR. She has one frequent trip which needs 4 minutes charging in SR+ ... and the Supercharger is right by the roadside ... so saved £10K there ... but if she has to start driving all round the country for work we will regret that decision (although Model-3 CCS far better suited to 3rd party charging than my Model-S...)

You would have to be doing very high mileage for the bigger battery to matter much. When you look at pretty much any trip you might do in a day (so no overnight slow charging) it makes next to no difference. Similarly supercharging isn't that big of a deal unless you do a lot of miles, as it boils down to saving maybe 30-45 minutes on an 8+ hour drive vs. a Kona or Niro or Leaf 62 without it, and only if you don't take comfort breaks longer than the charge times.

@buzbe I find Tesla's base car pricing (pre plug-in-grant) does fit on a straight line.
Excluding the (cheap in the UK) Model S Performance

View attachment 403246
It just doesn't have a zero intercept - or anything like it.

Least squares line (as drawn above) is GBP = USD * 0.88 + £7100
At the current exchange rate, this is UK = US * 1.15 + £7100

The slope is strangely low (VAT explains 20% for example) and the intercept strangely high (transport of a single car from the US to UK is well under £1000, never mind a ship full of them).

These cancel nicely up around Model S prices, but down at Model 3 prices we're being had for mugs!

nice analysis!

I did find it also depends on which points you take - for instance - if you include the P100 models, the exchange rate is actually *slightly* better, although this could be explained by the £7,100 "floor" here.

PS - did you perform that analysis in python? nice charts :)

The P100s aren't current models are they? But yes, I excluded the MS Performance as an outlier - it's irrationally cheap in the UK (or expensive in the US) which pulls the best fit line to an even lower slope / higher intercept.

I'm happy with my conclusion though - whether deliberately or accidentally, UK M3 customers are being done over on price compared to US customers. Consequently there's nothing written in stone about an SR+ volunteering for luxury road tax, there's plenty of margin for a reduction if and when they're minded. Maybe making a fuss will help this to happen?

In all probability this will sort itself out over the medium term, so there's a lot to be said for not being an early adopter. Happily for me, I want a 69 plate anyway so don't mind adding a few more months to the 37 I've waited already.

(Yes, matplotlib charts have a recognisable style to them. Any tool will do of course, Python was just convenient for me).

You would have to be doing very high mileage for the bigger battery to matter much

Not IME. I'm high mileage because of daily commute (so no impact there, but probably not average)

My out-of-range is 2 days a month, if I had the 75 it would be at least 4 days a month. If I had S100 with new motors I would be down to Supercharging once a quarter or less. If I had 400 mile battery it would be "never" except for trans-continental trips.

Many of my Supercharge stops are less than 15 minutes, on Sunday I told Wifee we didn't have time to go get coffee ... she didn't believe me, we got home with 25% spare ...

On a business trip I will not take EV unless I can get TO client and BACK to Supercharger. I am not going to risk Pair or Stalls-Full on the way TO client (and thus unpredictable arrival time), so that would mean ICE for out-of-reach clients (and I do have some, and new S100 motors would enable me to reach them :) )

For anyone who can do EMails whilst sat charging, which they would otherwise do as on arrival, its time neutral. That isn't my life though.

Now whether folk value the time saved enough to spend £10K up front is a different question :)

Hey All,

Here it is!

Version 1 of the Model 3 UK price calculator. Apologies for the quick post but I wanted to get version 1 out tonight for comments.

A few points;

• Costs - averaged based on Model S/X different from USD to GBP (you can see these calculations on the 2nd sheet, cars improve exchange rate the more you spend, and options are most 1:1 which is annoying, a lot of assumptions here).
  • PCP calculation - locked at 5.4% at 48 months (for now - until I have enough brain power to figure out Tesla's depreciation curve).

Complete the orange "input" cells and the sheet will calculate your PCP payments. Checked against existing Tesla examples.

Any comments let me know - this is very much a V1!

Link : https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1itiq5mu997zql/Tesla-Model3-Calculator.xlsx?dl=1

Link : https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1itiq5mu997zql/Tesla-Model3-Calculator.xlsx?dl=1

Latest version updated on the link above

• Pricing updated to reflect actual pricing (including Autopilot which has NOT changed yet on 10/5)
  • Includes updated calculation for PCP based on WattsUps picture on the day the configurator launched (this puts depreciation at 0.501 - which seems high).

Hi all, have been monitoring posts for a while now and keen to get into a M3. Is there any idea when PCP may become an option for purchase as yet?

They’re saying any day now - my guess from twitter will be the end of next week.

The good news seems to be that they’ve not hiked the price on FSD yet, maybe they’re waiting for PCP to be available as they know they’ll sell more FSD upgrades that way. Either that, or it could just be someone’s forgotten to update that price. We’ll never know!