Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Unique HVAC system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this article claiming a source from Tesla has said the company is doing something very unique with the HVAC system by having no vents, and instead having one giant slit that runs along the dash where hot/cold air will blow out of.

This information isn't necessarily new since I remember one of the drivers at the model 3 reveal event mentioned some innovation behind no vents (will try to go find that video), but this article gives a bit more information on the potential system, specifically, noise reduction of the fan.

https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik...he-model-3s-inte-1791848511/amp?client=safari

Hopefully this new HVAC setup will be an improvement/advancement.

But it will still need to do a few traditional things:
1) Adjust up/down depending on driver/passenger height/preference.
2) Reduce air flow through certain sections of "the slit" while maintaining higher flow through others.

Reactions: Booga
Hopefully this new HVAC setup will be an improvement/advancement.

But it will still need to do a few traditional things:
1) Adjust up/down depending on driver/passenger height/preference.
2) Reduce air flow through certain sections of "the slit" while maintaining higher flow through others.
Maybe they've been able to increase the maximum air flow to such an extent that you don't need to direct it to a specific spot.

Maybe they've been able to increase the maximum air flow to such an extent that you don't need to direct it to a specific spot.

That sounds like poor engineering. They'd rather expend more energy to blow more air at unnecessary parts of the cabin than allow less air to be blown in a more targeted location, increasing its efficiency?

I'm skeptical it'll actually be better than a traditional a/c system until we actually see it in use.

Seems like the engineers made a solution looking for a problem. Sure, vents can be unsightly but why fix if it isn't broke? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for innovation, but I would think there are far more opportunities than "improving" air vents. Maybe was seen as cost cutting measure since less parts should be cheaper. But really doesn't matter how cheap it is if it doesn't work. This and the overall interior design are my biggest worries. Guess we will see.

Seems like the engineers made a solution looking for a problem. Sure, vents can be unsightly but why fix if it isn't broke? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for innovation, but I would think there are far more opportunities than "improving" air vents. Maybe was seen as cost cutting measure since less parts should be cheaper. But really doesn't matter how cheap it is if it doesn't work. This and the overall interior design are my biggest worries. Guess we will see.
It might be a waste of space for them and this helps simplify the manufacturing process. So yes it wasn't broken to the user, but maybe their solution simplifies production and still meets consumer needs.

It may be merely marginal, but ductwork weighs something. In the Great Quest for Range, little things add up.

I wouldn't worry too terribly about something blowing where folks don't want it to blow. The whole idea of those "slit" vents (already present in many buildings) is to reduce or eliminate a column of air blowing at a very small area. You get the sort of circulation you need to condition the air without a strong current.

I wouldn't be surprised if they also worked it out with a lower power fan.

Reactions: melindav
Sure. But I'm still happy with my ability to blow supercold air in my face and at my upper torso after workout, and just as happy with the ability to direct warm air to my hands when I'm freezing cold, or to the side windows when they fog up. Yeah you can argue that the cabin temperature will drop/increase just as well as with regular vents, but I guess it's also a psychological factor feeling the concentrated air flow directed exactly where you want it.

Anyway, it will be kind of a bummer if the huge slit vent means that we won't be able to get satisfactory air pressure out of this thing.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx and Model 3
Sure. But I'm still happy with my ability to blow supercold air in my face and at my upper torso after workout, and just as happy with the ability to direct warm air to my hands when I'm freezing cold, or to the side windows when they fog up. Yeah you can argue that the cabin temperature will drop/increase just as well as with regular vents, but I guess it's also a psychological factor feeling the concentrated air flow directed exactly where you want it.

Anyway, it will be kind of a bummer if the huge slit vent means that we won't be able to get satisfactory air pressure out of this thing.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!
Same flow through a smaller space = higher velocity of air, not less.