TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 Unique HVAC system

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Railhawk52, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Railhawk52

Railhawk52 Member

Saw this article claiming a source from Tesla has said the company is doing something very unique with the HVAC system by having no vents, and instead having one giant slit that runs along the dash where hot/cold air will blow out of.

This information isn't necessarily new since I remember one of the drivers at the model 3 reveal event mentioned some innovation behind no vents (will try to go find that video), but this article gives a bit more information on the potential system, specifically, noise reduction of the fan.

https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik.com/we-may-have-an-interesting-leak-about-the-model-3s-inte-1791848511/amp?client=safari

2. Railhawk52

Railhawk52 Member

Here is the Model 3 test drive footage that shows the engineer driving the car talking about having a "unique" system with no vents:

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Hopefully this new HVAC setup will be an improvement/advancement.

But it will still need to do a few traditional things:
    1) Adjust up/down depending on driver/passenger height/preference.
    2) Reduce air flow through certain sections of "the slit" while maintaining higher flow through others.

• Like x 1
  4. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not sure how this is news, as it's how we've all assumed it worked from the images and videos from launch.

If it's a "leak" than one would assume it's a reliable source, but the article claims it may not be. Maybe it's a slow news day.

• Like x 2
  5. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

we're so starved to talk about m3, we resort to old news...c'mon elon -- give us something real to talk about

• Like x 2
  6. Booga

Booga Member

Maybe they've been able to increase the maximum air flow to such an extent that you don't need to direct it to a specific spot.

7. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Sounds kind of unpleasant

• Like x 1
  8. Blazing Whisper

I'd still want the ability to direct my air. Can I live without it? I really hope so... not concerned yet. But yes, this isn't really news as it was clearly communicated in the reveal.

9. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Not sure I'd say it was clearly communicated. It was mentioned, but there is much we don't know about it. In fact, we know almost nothing.

10. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

That sounds like poor engineering. They'd rather expend more energy to blow more air at unnecessary parts of the cabin than allow less air to be blown in a more targeted location, increasing its efficiency?

I'm skeptical it'll actually be better than a traditional a/c system until we actually see it in use.

11. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Seems like the engineers made a solution looking for a problem. Sure, vents can be unsightly but why fix if it isn't broke? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for innovation, but I would think there are far more opportunities than "improving" air vents. Maybe was seen as cost cutting measure since less parts should be cheaper. But really doesn't matter how cheap it is if it doesn't work. This and the overall interior design are my biggest worries. Guess we will see.

• Like x 3
  12. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

im wondering if there'll be individual controls for driver and passenger with the new venting system

• Funny x 1
  13. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

sounds like a great deal of speculation assuming that what ever the solution, it won't work.
    With all of those arguments as to why vents are imperative and the only possible solution - replace the words "adjustable vent" with "gas powered engine" and start again :D

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. Booga

Booga Member

It might be a waste of space for them and this helps simplify the manufacturing process. So yes it wasn't broken to the user, but maybe their solution simplifies production and still meets consumer needs.

15. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

You don't actually think these two things are analogous, do you?

16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

It seems there are two different schools of thought about AC. Some people want it to condition the air and make the cabin a certain temperature and others seem to like air blown in their faces.

• Like x 3
  17. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I thought it was pretty obvious - the same statements being used are the same as many folks used in the past regarding EVs (or in fact anything new)
    or, even more obviously
    the <insert new thing here> can't possibly do as good a job as the thing I have now.

18. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

It may be merely marginal, but ductwork weighs something. In the Great Quest for Range, little things add up.

I wouldn't worry too terribly about something blowing where folks don't want it to blow. The whole idea of those "slit" vents (already present in many buildings) is to reduce or eliminate a column of air blowing at a very small area. You get the sort of circulation you need to condition the air without a strong current.

I wouldn't be surprised if they also worked it out with a lower power fan.

• Like x 1
  19. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Sure. But I'm still happy with my ability to blow supercold air in my face and at my upper torso after workout, and just as happy with the ability to direct warm air to my hands when I'm freezing cold, or to the side windows when they fog up. Yeah you can argue that the cabin temperature will drop/increase just as well as with regular vents, but I guess it's also a psychological factor feeling the concentrated air flow directed exactly where you want it.

Anyway, it will be kind of a bummer if the huge slit vent means that we won't be able to get satisfactory air pressure out of this thing.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Same flow through a smaller space = higher velocity of air, not less.