Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Unique HVAC system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it was pretty obvious - the same statements being used are the same as many folks used in the past regarding EVs (or in fact anything new)
or, even more obviously
the <insert new thing here> can't possibly do as good a job as the thing I have now.

Not really.

People like myself and others in this thread hoping to retain the ability to direct air within the "slot" for personal preference and driver/passenger height differences, etc., is similar to Model S owners wishing they had cupholders, storage in the doors and seat backs, coat hooks, adjustable headrests, etc.

No, I don't quite think this comment implies that. It implies the opposite.

I'm saying slit vent will offer faster air flow.

They were saying the slot is a larger opening, since it's across the whole dash, and that's why they mentioned the decreased pressure. I also was under the impression that the "vent" area will increase.

You're apparently saying the slot will actually decrease the opening.

You're apparently saying the slot will actually decrease the opening.
Exactly, instead of a four large openings.
Imagine if all four typical front vents were squeezed and elongated until they were nearly flat

Here's a random pic
car-vent-odor-670x339.jpg

Now if this was made thinner it could be 5 vents wide. You have four of these so imagine having 20 vents side by side in your car. The result might be wider than most cars. If the Tesla Model 3 has a single large yet thin vent and if it puts out the same volume of air than a typical car then the result is higher pressure.

... or because it's higher pressure they could aim for the same pressure as other cars meaning they could potentially use a smaller blower motor to achieve the same effect.

Last edited:
I'm sure Tesla will recommend you change the filter every 100 miles as well when you are getting your drive unit fluid done at the same time. Haha.
I know you're joking, but if it's a HEPA filter, I would prefer if they have two filters. One that is a few bucks to change more often and then a second stage that filters finer particles that is changed less frequently. That's how HEPA purifiers used at home typically work.

Exactly, instead of a four large openings.
Imagine if all four typical front vents were squeezed and elongated until they were nearly flat

Here's a random pic
car-vent-odor-670x339.jpg

Now if this was made thinner it could be 5 vents wide. You have four of these so imagine having 20 vents side by side in your car. The result might be wider than most cars. If the Tesla Model 3 has a single large yet thin vent and if it puts out the same volume of air than a typical car then the result is higher pressure.

... or because it's higher pressure they could aim for the same pressure as other cars meaning they could potentially use a smaller blower motor to achieve the same effect.

Not convinced traditional slots make up a larger area than the single-slot vent. But it doesn't really matter as long as there is adequate pressure for the AC.

HVAC looks all good but got to say I have seen a fair bit of glare on screens so far in various sightings. When was the last time you saw glare on a properly integrated display? Oh well, can't have everything I guess.

HVAC looks all good but got to say I have seen a fair bit of glare on screens so far in various sightings. When was the last time you saw glare on a properly integrated display? Oh well, can't have everything I guess.

Avoiding glare in an integrated screen is mostly about viewing angles versus the screen angle and the sources of light.

Since none of the spy photos I've seen have been from the point of view of the driver or passengers, I don't think I can comment on the level of glare yet, one way or the other.

I'm reading this thread on my iPad on the balcony in somewhat sunny conditions (a few clouds blocking some of it), and it's HORRIFIC. If the glass layer is anything like an iPad I'd run the car in the sea

That's actually an excellent point I hadn't thought about. Many nav displays are either recessed into the dash or are shielded in some other way from sunlight. If this large screen is obscured when it's bathed in sunlight, this could be a huge problem.

That's actually an excellent point I hadn't thought about. Many nav displays are either recessed into the dash or are shielded in some other way from sunlight. If this large screen is obscured when it's bathed in sunlight, this could be a huge problem.
If anyone has a 15 glossy laptop screen they wish to drive around with for a second we can test this out....
keep in mind the Model 3 screen is slightly tilted upwards.

I can't imagine I'd see more than just above the passenger seat which should be a darkened glass roof. It certainly wouldn't reflect outside the passenger window, wrong angle.

To quote Elon "You won't care"

To quote me "Of course there's going to be glare. Just another reason why some small covered LCD / instrument cluster behind the steering wheel just makes so much sense. Just look to the models S/X to see how great spending 20 bucks on a small covered LCD panel in front of the driver is. Don't belive me? Head on over to the S/X forums and see how many of of them would voluntarily give it up"