Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 unlimited Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. Only S/X delivered by 4/15/2017 have transferable included supercharging.

In my case versus $0.31/kW PPU SCing, included supercharging (nothing is free about owning a Tesla) saves me over $4,000 annually in net spendable (after tax) dollars.

My car came with 294 miles of rated range. During an average week of urban driving gets at best 170 miles of actual range per full charge equivalent. Sometimes it’s a 50% hit. It still gets all of 274 miles point to point on the highway at lower speeds over flat terrain in good wx.

Am amused at those who support those who gave up included supercharging for a one-time $5K refund unless they don’t travel far, leased the car with low annual mileage caps, have a great TOU home charging plan and/or have no SCs around.

Sounds like it works out well for you. Just curious, how many miles do you average per week and year to go through $4k?

Correct. Only S/X delivered by 4/15/2017 have transferable included supercharging.

In my case versus $0.31/kW PPU SCing, included supercharging (nothing is free about owning a Tesla) saves me over $4,000 annually in net spendable (after tax) dollars.

My car came with 294 miles of rated range. During an average week of urban driving gets at best 170 miles of actual range per full charge equivalent. Sometimes it’s a 50% hit. It still gets all of 274 miles point to point on the highway at lower speeds over flat terrain in good wx.

Am amused at those who support those who gave up included supercharging for a one-time $5K refund unless they don’t travel far, leased the car with low annual mileage caps, have a great TOU home charging plan and/or have no SCs around.

Hmm. $4k @ $.31/kwh equals ~12,900 kWh per year Supercharging.

Even if you're only getting two miles per kWh, that's nearly 26,000 supercharged city miles per year, likely over a thousand driving hours.

Definitely not the typical use case. Uber or some sort of delivery service, maybe?

Is it? My math suggests that I'd save $5,000 over 80,000 Supercharged miles. Right now I'm averaging 20,000 road trip miles per year, so the break-even point is four years. Your average car buyer isn't going to be anywhere close to this, so your mileage may vary. ;)

For the record, I'm on pay-per-use Supercharging.

Sure, for you it would work out. For 90% of people it doesn't...

It's simple math... $5000 @ $.28/kWh is 17,857kWh. If you average 250Wh per mile, then that is 71,428 miles you would need to drive on ONLY supercharging for it to break even and that doesn't count interest you could make in the 5k. I don't think most people who covet the unlimited supercharging realize that.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Sure, for you it would work out. For 90% of people it doesn't...

It's simple math... $5000 @ $.28/kWh is 17,857kWh. If you average 250Wh per mile, then that is 71,428 miles you would need to drive on ONLY supercharging for it to break even and that doesn't count interest you could make in the 5k. I don't think most people who covet the unlimited supercharging realize that.

Makes sense, even if the cost of SCing increases.
My math is probably much less accurate, but I'm figuring my 10k miles in the past 6 months would have cost around $739 at the SC. At that rate, I'm at nearly $1500/year. If I keep the car, I'll have it paid off slightly more than 3 years and 60k miles. That said, it's easier and cheaper to charge at home, so my $5k will go farther. Still, there's something about having unlimited with the uncertainty of V3 Supercharging and the Robo-Taxis. Even though they'll likely ban FUSC from that network.

For those of you who have Unlimited SC, but no longer saw it reflected on the website, here is the response I got from Tesla (I should mention it took two weeks, and I got a quicker response from an escalation engineer I had been working with on a different issue who was able to go into the back-end and check for me).

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 12.23.49 PM.png

My P3d+ has always said "pay per use" on the account, but I have never been charged.

I'm probably more sensitive to this because I was charged initially because my SC screwed up my order. Took me over a dozen calls/emails to finally get it resolved and I was charged about a dozen times before they figured it out. And no refunds from those charges ever happened- not that it's that much money but my early customer service experience with Tesla was terrible.

I'm probably more sensitive to this because I was charged initially because my SC screwed up my order. Took me over a dozen calls/emails to finally get it resolved and I was charged about a dozen times before they figured it out. And no refunds from those charges ever happened- not that it's that much money but my early customer service experience with Tesla was terrible.

In certain cases it helps to involve your banking institution. Tesla’s issue is they don’t have the resources to deal with corner cases of which I’ve encountered a number. Tesla issued me over 2,000 in checks after an issue with the bank financing, but they wouldn’t accept a return in 300 of Tesla shop orders that was double shipped despite three attempts to do so.

If you feel you’ve tried to have the issue addressed and were unable to do so and
you’ve got the time, you can always issue a chargeback with your bank. These days it’s really easy to do online by selecting the charge and disputing it. Tesla likely will either acknowledge the issue or fail to get back to the bank in which case you’ll get your refund.

Interesting comment, looking at this purely from the math perspective.

So at that price, with 220 realistic range from a Model 3 on average in a year from a full charge, and a full charge costing $23.25, that's 11 cents per mile.

So you get 215 full charges for your $5,000, 215*220 is around 47,500 miles, which is not a huge amount, assuming 100% of your charging is at superchargers. More efficient cars and a different blend of charging changes that significantly though.

As a complete aside, my status also says Pay Per Charge, even though I have FUSC. I also heard anecdotally that Model 3's that have been sold with FUSC, the new owner inherited it. I honestly don't think Tesla knows once a car has changed if the buyer and seller simply change the details on the account (email, name, address).

Interesting comment, looking at this purely from the math perspective.

So at that price, with 220 realistic range from a Model 3 on average in a year from a full charge, and a full charge costing $23.25, that's 11 cents per mile.

So you get 215 full charges for your $5,000, 215*220 is around 47,500 miles, which is not a huge amount, assuming 100% of your charging is at superchargers. More efficient cars and a different blend of charging changes that significantly though.

As a complete aside, my status also says Pay Per Charge, even though I have FUSC. I also heard anecdotally that Model 3's that have been sold with FUSC, the new owner inherited it. I honestly don't think Tesla knows once a car has changed if the buyer and seller simply change the details on the account (email, name, address).

Based on the 47,500 miles estimate, would you keep FUSC or take $5k, if given the choice, assuming you didn't have the choice?
Yes, I've heard Tesla doesn't have a way to monitor when a FUSC equipped car changed hands. For now...

Based on the 47,500 miles estimate, would you keep FUSC or take $5k, if given the choice, assuming you didn't have the choice?
Yes, I've heard Tesla doesn't have a way to monitor when a FUSC equipped car changed hands. For now...

In my case, I owned two Teslas with FUSC - a Model X, and a Model 3. We decided after several months to sell our Model X to a neighbor, and the day that the account was transfered, FUSC ended for that vehicle. We did take the transfer process through the Teslas change of ownership process. At the time, Tesla did not offer to buyback FUSC on the Model X.

On the Model 3, for us, at the rate I'm recharging at Super Chargers, I will never make 5K back. I am charging less than 10% of the time at a Super Charger - even though I could theoretically charge more often, I don't want to spend the time -- meaning, I feel that my time is worth more and I'd rather just charge at home, overnight. I probably should take Tesla's buy back offer, if it is still on the table.

In my case, I owned two Teslas with FUSC - a Model X, and a Model 3. We decided after several months to sell our Model X to a neighbor, and the day that the account was transfered, FUSC ended for that vehicle. We did take the transfer process through the Teslas change of ownership process. At the time, Tesla did not offer to buyback FUSC on the Model X.

On the Model 3, for us, at the rate I'm recharging at Super Chargers, I will never make 5K back. I am charging less than 10% of the time at a Super Charger - even though I could theoretically charge more often, I don't want to spend the time -- meaning, I feel that my time is worth more and I'd rather just charge at home, overnight. I probably should take Tesla's buy back offer, if it is still on the table.

Thanks for the perspective. I hear you on the value of time, I could usually hit the SC on my lunch break, but since I don't take many trips or travel much for work, yet. I think I'll take the refund. If you call them, and tell them you're still interested, they may help. I initiated communication about keeping both, since many get to keep both, the refund and FUSC, so they're definitely still discussing my options. If I knew I'd keep this car for 10 years, I'd probably keep the FUSC, but I hope to be in an updated Tesla by then, therefore losing the FUSC anyway.

I don't think I will get the full value, as I am likely to move to the UK next year and my car will probably have 20 - 30k miles on it at most.