Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Unplugged for a Weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leaving my Model 3 outside at a friends house for the weekend - early Fri am through early Sun afternoon. Don't think I will have access to any outlet. Any issues? If the car is about 85% charged when I leave it, how low will it be when I return?

Leaving my Model 3 outside at a friends house for the weekend - early Fri am through early Sun afternoon. Don't think I will have access to any outlet. Any issues? If the car is about 85% charged when I leave it, how low will it be when I return?

Put it to sleep, turn off Sentry and don’t check the app often and you should be only a few percent hopefully. Depending your climate of course.

Reactions: SSedan
Since it'll be outside, if it were me, I would leave Sentry turned on unless you trust the area where your friend lives and are not worried about anyone getting close to your car. Leaving Sentry turned on is very minimal for battery drain and you'll have better peace of mind in case something happens. If it's just going to sit at 85% then you should have at least 70% with Sentry turned on.

Left my car unplugged at around 60% battery for around 5 days because I went on vacation, don't remember how much it was at when I came back but it didn't lose that much charge (still had over 50%), I had sentry mode turned off. Sentry mode uses around 1 mile an hour so if you do the math and think you will have enough battery too make it back home once you come back then you can leave it on.

You are absolutely fine, though i'm genuinely curious about the cause/root of the question itself. Do you normally charge at least every 24 hours?

Personally i have free charging at work so i normally charge on Mondays and Thursday/Friday so definitely not charging every day (drive 10 miles each way to work).

You are absolutely fine, though i'm genuinely curious about the cause/root of the question itself. Do you normally charge at least every 24 hours?

Personally i have free charging at work so i normally charge on Mondays and Thursday/Friday so definitely not charging every day (drive 10 miles each way to work).

I think most people just leave it plugged in when they're not using it because thats what the manual suggests you do.

I think most people just leave it plugged in when they're not using it because thats what the manual suggests you do.

:rolleyes: that has been in the Tesla manual since day 1 and is more meant for people who think it's smart to run the battery to zero (like old batteries) and/or leave it unattended for weeks (as they say in the manual under the line about always charging), but fine lol

Thanks for all the info.... It's a very safe neighborhood so I will turn off Summon & Sentry. Going to charge up to 100% tonight - it will be chilly but not frigid (lows in the mid 20s)

You really don't need to charge to 100%, just go to 70-80% and you will lose at MOST 5-10% while you are gone. Probably more like 2%.

Reactions: NuttyM3