Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Unveiling and Reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks good all over except the nosecone, makes it look cheap or unfinished, maybe someone will develop a stick on 'grill'
The glass roof is interesting, hopefully not to hot in Aust, curious to know how the rear hatch works, does it pivot from the glass join at the B pillar?

It is not a hatch more like a sedan boot. You can see at the end of this video, lots more videos have been posted including some from Bjorn

Reserved at the Sydney store at lunch today (thought I would get in just before the Internet reservations went live!).

Amusing conversation with the Tesla rep:
Me - "I'd like to put a reservation in for a Model 3".
Rep- "Great, how did you hear about it"
Me - "Err, I own a model S already, that's it outside"
Rep - "Cool, how long have you had it?"
Me - "A bit over a year, it is a Signature"
Rep (now quite excited) - "I can't wait until some of the early well spec'd model S cars start to come in for sale."

It will certainly be interesting around the time the Model 3 is available given that would be 3-4 years old for the initial model S cars. I would imagine that pricing on a 2nd hand model S and new model 3 would be quite similar?

Reserved at the Sydney store at lunch today (thought I would get in just before the Internet reservations went live!).

Rep (now quite excited) - "I can't wait until some of the early well spec'd model S cars start to come in for sale."

It will certainly be interesting around the time the Model 3 is available given that would be 3-4 years old for the initial model S cars. I would imagine that pricing on a 2nd hand model S and new model 3 would be quite similar?
If pricing is similar then tesla have a problem. They have the model s 3 year guranteed buyback price, which these days is very high due to the aud fall. If model 3 i
It is not a hatch more like a sedan boot. You can see at the end of this video, lots more videos have been posted including some from Bjorn

Thats a very awkward looking boot entry for what is presumably intended as a family car. Its large, but a small slot opening, which isnt good at the supermarket.

If pricing is similar then tesla have a problem. They have the model s 3 year guranteed buyback price, which these days is very high due to the aud fall. If model 3 i
Tesla Resale Value Guarantee FAQ
Who is eligible for the Resale Value Guarantee?
Any private or business customer who finances their vehicle through a Tesla-approved loan program is eligible for the Resale Value Guarantee meeting the minimum term requirements.

Also not that anyone knows here but i guess alot of people didn't finance 60% of the car value at 4.85% to get the 3 year guranteed buyback price, that said i would if i had the money.
which i can not link to because the website is down.

that said i don't see the problem if the prices are around the same, i.e $60,000/$70,000 its more AUD$1=US$1 now then model S buyback would be like $40,000 and model 3 new would be $60,000 or $70,000

also the 3 year buyback, you can also choose 4 or 5 years in Australia as far as i know is locked in when you buy the car, not the 50%(after 3 years) value the the Model S is price at now, i think now is $110,000, was $94,000 when it first launched in Australia.

so 3 years from Australian launch(2017?) value $47,000,
but now $110,000 value in 2019 $55,000

now thinking about it they might have a issue but like i said you have to finance 60% of the cars value
What are the stipulations (fine print) for a loan contract?
To qualify for the Resale Value Guarantee, you must finance a minimum of 60% of the vehicle (on approved credit) for a term between 36 and 60 months. To exercise the Resale Value Guarantee, the loan must remain open and in good standing for the full duration of the loan contract. Please see the Resale Value Guarantee terms and conditions for further details on the program.

also MODEL 3 page is now up
Model 3 | Tesla Motors Australia
says $35,000 USD which i think is fair/smart

That's an interesting point you make about resale value, but a related obsevation first- all the extra publicity the model 3 had brought Tesla over the past few days is surely going to spike sales of the model S, 1. there are still many potential model S buyers that had very little knowledge of Tesla, many more do now after the last 48 hours. 2. Those who didn't have confidence in a new car maker would have seen the support shown by the 130 000 plus who have put down a deposit without seeing a vehicle, a lot will have a new mindset about Tesla and take the plunge on an S. 3. Tesla is taking model 3 reservations from NZ, South Korea, India, Brazil and a few other new countries, if they're pushing into those areas that's a whole new model S market.
At the moment it appears the order to delivery time of an S is fairly quick but any spike in S sales plus the backlog of model X to get through will keep the factory busy for the next year or so, which brings us to model 3 production time, if 130 000 orders in 24 hours for an unsighted car is anything to go by Tesla could have 500 000 customers by year end 2017, it's going to be hard work keeping up with that demand, I think any Tesla, be it Roadster, model S, model X, new or used is going to be in high demand.

There are heaps of folks who have never heard of Tesla. Not even the Powerwall, which seems to be better known than the car, which I find amazing. When you tell them about it they just shut off. " I would never buy an electric car ". Just plain ignoramuses.

Who is eligible for the Resale Value Guarantee?

Any private or business customer who finances their vehicle through a Tesla-approved loan program is eligible for the Resale Value Guarantee meeting the minimum term requirements.

Also not that anyone knows here but i guess alot of people didn't finance 60% of the car value at 4.85% to get the 3 year guranteed buyback price, that said i would if i had the money.
which i can not link to because the website is down.

that said i don't see the problem if the prices are around the same, i.e $60,000/$70,000 its more AUD$1=US$1 now then model S buyback would be like $40,000 and model 3 new would be $60,000 or $70,000

also the 3 year buyback, you can also choose 4 or 5 years in Australia as far as i know is locked in when you buy the car, not the 50%(after 3 years) value the the Model S is price at now, i think now is $110,000, was $94,000 when it first launched in Australia.

so 3 years from Australian launch(2017?) value $47,000,
but now $110,000 value in 2019 $55,000

now thinking about it they might have a issue but like i said you have to finance 60% of the cars value
What are the stipulations (fine print) for a loan contract?
To qualify for the Resale Value Guarantee, you must finance a minimum of 60% of the vehicle (on approved credit) for a term between 36 and 60 months. To exercise the Resale Value Guarantee, the loan must remain open and in good standing for the full duration of the loan contract. Please see the Resale Value Guarantee terms and conditions for further details on the program.

also MODEL 3 page is now up
Model 3 | Tesla Motors Australia
says $35,000 USD which i think is fair/smart
Actually, I think the minimum amount you had to finance was about 25-30%. I did just for the buyback.

It looks like a good job on the design.
I think the interior will change from that shown before release. I would hope for a HUD to augment the centre display.
My only concerns with the exterior would be the effectiveness of heat shielding in that glass roof and the seemingly small boot opening.
Over here I see the competition as the A4/3 Series/C Class and think it will give them a good run for their money in style, performance, equipment levels and option lists.