TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 Unveiling - Base Model or Maxed out version shown on stage?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ratsbew, Feb 24, 2016.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

When Elon presents the prototype Model 3 on stage (come on, we know it will be more than him holding up some glossy pictures) will he show off a maxed out, most desirable version that costs $60,000+ or will he show off the actual expected base model that can be purchased for $35,000? My opinion is that they should have both versions on stage to show what the base model looks like since the $35,000 price point is the main point of the Model 3 and also the maxed out version to give people something to salivate over.

Thoughts and opinions?

2. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

If its like the others, the interior will not be production spec but the body probably will be pretty close with some cosmetic changes coming.
    Almost certainly only one car with no detail on options

3. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Not sure it will matter. The base Model S and Model X look just like the fully-optioned versions. I assume the Model 3 will follow the same path.

4. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

Why not both :biggrin:

5. Twiglett

because they will not have locked down what will be included in the base vehicle yet, so it's much more likely to be just the car with everything included.
    Even then, there are likely to be changes

6. Lonnie123

Lonnie123 Member

There really isn't a lot that changes cosmetically from base to fully configured in the S/X. The majority of cost difference of being "fully loaded" comes from the battery, dual motors, and the Performance motor.

It may have a pano roof and some nice seats that might not make it to production... But thats really all that changes cosmetically.

I expect them to focus more on the outside look of the car, the range, and maybe some details about the new 3rd platform as opposed to what the dashboard will look like, for example.

7. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

They'll be showing a prototype, which isn't going to be the final product. It doesn't matter that much what the trim looks like. It'll change.

8. Cebe

Cebe Member

if they're going to hold back some of the information (as Elon has alluded to), the headlights and interior would seem to be most likely. Or, more to the point, any place where they mean to differentiate, and do not want to give competition a two year notice, they will either have something else, or show nothing.

I'd be happy with the completely hidden interior if I can see the body shape, and how the wheels fit (e.g., the gap.) Yes, I would rather have all the details, but if that comes at the cost of GM also knowing all the details, then I'd rather wait.

9. S'toon

I'd quibble with that. I'd like to know some of the interior. Like a touchscreen display.

10. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

When Elon unveiled the production Model X he featured the auto presenting doors and the Bioweapon Defense Mode air filter. These both ended up being part of the $4,500 Premium Upgrades package. Anything shown on stage should be assumed to be part of the fully loaded Model 3.

11. S'toon

That was the unveiling of the production model. The reveal in 2012 was somewhat different.

12. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

You are right, the 2012 reveal showed folding flat 2nd row seats. "What would you do with all this space?" Currently no amount of money can buy you folding flat 2nd row seats on the Model X, so I'd take any prototype reveal with a grain of salt.

13. Twiglett

I'd love to be a fly on the wall inside GM HQ over the next month :rolleyes: