TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 Unveiling - March 31st!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ratsbew, Feb 10, 2016.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Figured as much. Back when Linux Mint based their updates on the update of Ubuntu, they'd always say "We'll update by the end of x month." It was always done on the last day of the month.

3. coco81

coco81 Member

Late... late march!!

4. Kbra

Kbra Member

2015 :tongue:

5. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

Basically watch it on the 1st of April in Europe. X_x

6. Reeler

Reeler 6 Years of Pure EV

I won 2 tickets to the unveiling 3/31. By all accounts it will not be a full unveiling and maybe just have a prototype, clay model or some pictures. Not sure it will be worth travelling to Fremont for that, but maybe I can be first to place a reservation?

7. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

A prototype is a full unveiling. You aren't going to get anything else a year and half before shipping.

8. Reeler

Does anyone have a firm date on the reveal event presumably at the Tesla Design Studio in Hawthorne. It must be before the 3/31 orders are taken at stores.

9. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

The unveiling is on 3/31. It was stated in the investor newsletter. Whether it is early in the day and reservations happen later or something else is anybodies guess.

10. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Member

Seems odd to unveil and open orders in store on the same day. The event would be after 5pm PST, which is 8pm EST and the galleries are closed... Unless it's an online unveiling of just a picture or video.

11. chingus

chingus Member

Hi Reeler,

How did you get the tickets for 3/31 event?

Are these given to existing Tesla customers ?

12. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Why do you say that? Is there some law against showing a prototype car at 10am? Apple always has it's product announcement events in the morning.

13. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Member

Well, Apple events are for the press/industry, not consumers. (Plus they are at 1 PM in the afternoon, world revolves around us haha). Tesla events are for fans and press, so it's usually after work hours. The MX event was very late at night (for EST) and I think I recall the D event being at night as well. So, while anything is possible, it doesn't fit with past Tesla style to unveil in the AM PST when fans can't attend.

14. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

People are expecting thousands of customers to take the day off and line up at Tesla stores around the country, but a few dozen can't attend a morning event? I realize they don't usually do morning events, but I don't see how else it will work to do reservations and unveiling the same day as they have said they are going to do (unless it's simultaneous launch parties at each store with reservations afterwards).

15. Tam

Tam Active Member

One advantage for afterwork hours is: Tesla can recruit their own workers to stay over and work overtime to help out the event afterward without affecting their usual workdays.

16. ZAKEEUS

ZAKEEUS Member

If Tesla were to do a late event, I would imagine the stores would close regular service hours early and re-open for the people who want to do reservations. That should decrease chaos a bit if they chose to go with a later unveiling.

17. tga

tga Active Member

That wouldn't work for in-mall stores, which can't open when the main mall is closed (no one can get into the building to get to the store).

18. Reeler

I get the feeling development is so far behind all we will get is a rendering or photo.

19. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Personally, this is probably going to play out one of two ways for me. The tease/reveal/photo/rendering will be compelling enough that I'll want to put a deposit down on-the-spot. If it's too vague and non-committal, I will either get a Bolt next fall, or hang on to my Sonata for another 18-24 months, and hold out for a 3 when there are more details or walk-in availability. Not sure which way I'll fall.

20. Reeler

I think driving a Bolt for several years while we wait for the Model 3 is the way to go. The Tesla will probably be better, but you need to drive something in the mean time.