Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Unveiling - March 31st!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think driving a Bolt for several years while we wait for the Model 3 is the way to go. The Tesla will probably be better, but you need to drive something in the mean time.

Which is why my enthusiasm for hundreds of thousands of reservations is not very strong. The fluid timeline makes it impossible for people who lease, to time it for the arrival of a new vehicle. But on the other hand, there is zero risk by putting down a 1k deposit to hold your place. That is what I did with the Model X. When I realized it was not the vehicle for me I cancelled and got a full refund.

People are expecting thousands of customers to take the day off and line up at Tesla stores around the country, but a few dozen can't attend a morning event? I realize they don't usually do morning events, but I don't see how else it will work to do reservations and unveiling the same day as they have said they are going to do (unless it's simultaneous launch parties at each store with reservations afterwards).

I don't understand. Tesla takes reservations at stores and gallerias all day and yes that means people are putting down a reservation deposit without seeing the car. That is their choice and lets Tesla book the money in Q1. The reveal happens at night just like the Model S and X and the next day reservations can be done online.

I don't understand. Tesla takes reservations at stores and gallerias all day and yes that means people are putting down a reservation deposit without seeing the car. That is their choice and lets Tesla book the money in Q1. The reveal happens at night just like the Model S and X and the next day reservations can be done online.
Then why not start now? We can't see it and can't give them money yet. They either need the event to be the night before or extremely early in the morning for EST to get a full day of orders. Only time will tell.

(unless it's simultaneous launch parties at each store with reservations afterwards).

This is what I'm hoping for, but just not really believe.... :p

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand. Tesla takes reservations at stores and gallerias all day and yes that means people are putting down a reservation deposit without seeing the car.

What if Elon could be announcing at the unveiling that they already have X,000 reservation on the Mode 3 - before they even show what the car looks like? What PR value will that give Tesla?

Then why not start now? We can't see it and can't give them money yet. They either need the event to be the night before or extremely early in the morning for EST to get a full day of orders. Only time will tell.

There is no need for the event to be held the night before or in the morning. What does a one full day really matter when in the big picture Tesla will have people pre-ordering thru late 2017?

There is no need for the event to be held the night before or in the morning. What does a one full day really matter when in the big picture Tesla will have people pre-ordering thru late 2017?
It's just weird from a marketing stand point to say orders start May 31, but the car hasn't been unveiled, or is being unveiled that day...unless it is in the AM. Assuming there is more to the event than a webcast.

It's just weird from a marketing stand point to say orders start May 31, but the car hasn't been unveiled, or is being unveiled that day...unless it is in the AM. Assuming there is more to the event than a webcast.

Tesla doesn't think like other car companies so it really shouldn't come as a surprise when they think out of the box. It is just great marketing IMO.

Tesla doesn't think like other car companies so it really shouldn't come as a surprise when they think out of the box. It is just great marketing IMO.

If they really have the reservations before the unveiling I think it's lousy marketing. The number of people showing up at stores before the car is unveiled would be a fraction of the number that would show up after being excited by the unveiling. Basically just the hard core fans (the people on this forum) and that's it.

If they really have the reservations before the unveiling I think it's lousy marketing. The number of people showing up at stores before the car is unveiled would be a fraction of the number that would show up after being excited by the unveiling. Basically just the hard core fans (the people on this forum) and that's it.

I think its the confidence in the product that people have , owners of Volt, Leaf and new to be owners of EV , along with the Tesla fans will line up. People are already making plans to go in groups and Line up. Excessive reservations with some cancellations after the unveiling will happen IMO.

I expect there will be an awfully of people who are not members of the forum that will go and order, even site unseen. Will there be lines like the iPhone, of course not, but Tesla will get more media attention with this novel approach and that is good marketing. Nothing prevents anyone who was planning on ordering at a store from doing so: the day of, the day after or any day for that matter. I don't see how this is anything but a win for Tesla. I don't know whether I'll order on line or at the store on the 31st but it will be fun deciding.

My expectations for the reveal on March 31:

1. It will be held in Hawthorne, not Fremont.
2. The event will take place in the evening, probably around 7 PM.
3. Reservations will be taken at the event and possibly at west coast Tesla stores following the event, but this would not be until at least 8 PM Pacific.

I think it's good to provide an avenue to get the most enthusiastic (including current Tesla owners) in earlier. My enthusiasm:distance to store is too low, though.