TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Unveiling - March 31st!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ratsbew, Feb 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

My guess is that it'll just be a photo of a rendering. \sarcasm

2. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

All we will get will be journalist's zoomed in photos of Elon holding the picture on stage and his fingers will cover parts of it.

3. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

Which is why my enthusiasm for hundreds of thousands of reservations is not very strong. The fluid timeline makes it impossible for people who lease, to time it for the arrival of a new vehicle. But on the other hand, there is zero risk by putting down a 1k deposit to hold your place. That is what I did with the Model X. When I realized it was not the vehicle for me I cancelled and got a full refund.

4. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I don't understand. Tesla takes reservations at stores and gallerias all day and yes that means people are putting down a reservation deposit without seeing the car. That is their choice and lets Tesla book the money in Q1. The reveal happens at night just like the Model S and X and the next day reservations can be done online.

5. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

Then why not start now? We can't see it and can't give them money yet. They either need the event to be the night before or extremely early in the morning for EST to get a full day of orders. Only time will tell.

6. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

This is what I'm hoping for, but just not really believe.... :p

- - - Updated - - -

What if Elon could be announcing at the unveiling that they already have X,000 reservation on the Mode 3 - before they even show what the car looks like? What PR value will that give Tesla?

7. aronth5

There is no need for the event to be held the night before or in the morning. What does a one full day really matter when in the big picture Tesla will have people pre-ordering thru late 2017?

8. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

It's just weird from a marketing stand point to say orders start May 31, but the car hasn't been unveiled, or is being unveiled that day...unless it is in the AM. Assuming there is more to the event than a webcast.

9. aronth5

Tesla doesn't think like other car companies so it really shouldn't come as a surprise when they think out of the box. It is just great marketing IMO.

10. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

If they really have the reservations before the unveiling I think it's lousy marketing. The number of people showing up at stores before the car is unveiled would be a fraction of the number that would show up after being excited by the unveiling. Basically just the hard core fans (the people on this forum) and that's it.

11. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

I think its the confidence in the product that people have , owners of Volt, Leaf and new to be owners of EV , along with the Tesla fans will line up. People are already making plans to go in groups and Line up. Excessive reservations with some cancellations after the unveiling will happen IMO.

12. aronth5

I expect there will be an awfully of people who are not members of the forum that will go and order, even site unseen. Will there be lines like the iPhone, of course not, but Tesla will get more media attention with this novel approach and that is good marketing. Nothing prevents anyone who was planning on ordering at a store from doing so: the day of, the day after or any day for that matter. I don't see how this is anything but a win for Tesla. I don't know whether I'll order on line or at the store on the 31st but it will be fun deciding.

13. joefee

joefee $ave on Tesla http://ts.la/joe9926 3M+TMCpageviews

14. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Your concern. It's noted...

March 30th for those who find the Easter Egg.

Just kidding. I think.

15. Cruisin

Cruisin Member

Hi, if you are not going to the unveiling 3/31, I would be happy to go as your representative since I live in Fremont, CA. I would take pictures for you and anything else you may want concerning the occasion.

16. timf

timf Member

My expectations for the reveal on March 31:

1. It will be held in Hawthorne, not Fremont.
    2. The event will take place in the evening, probably around 7 PM.
    3. Reservations will be taken at the event and possibly at west coast Tesla stores following the event, but this would not be until at least 8 PM Pacific.

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

I think it's good to provide an avenue to get the most enthusiastic (including current Tesla owners) in earlier. My enthusiasm:distance to store is too low, though.

18. 808?

808? Member

#38 808?, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    snip

19. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

The reveal will be at the GF

20. Ryan H

Ryan H Member

Source?