Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Upgrade to FSD AFTER Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone in a Model 3 who did not buy FSD at the point of purchase been able to upgrade after the fact? I asked in a Service Centre and they said that it's initiated from your Tesla account online however I do not have any option to do this (or even see the price of doing this). They are looking into it for me further but I haven't heard back. Unlike other things (mats, Homelink etc), the service centre couldn't even give me a price as they say it depends on my car.

Can anyone see this option?

i didn’t originally have fsd on my order
i opened the site in my desktop browser (not mobile) and it popped up asking if i’d like to add it. i said yes

When you say "pop-up" do you mean like a separate window or a modal on the same window?

Was it as soon as you logged in, vehicle page, vehicle details?

Which browser were you using?

When you said yes, do you mind me asking what the price shown was?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to get it to pop up on mine! I disabled ad-blocker thinking that might be the issue but no joy.

I suspect that Tesla will at some point want to monetize the hardware they have installed in all these cars. Anyone who has bought a lease car is not going to buy FSD. I might like to subscribe monthly and be able to cancel when I want. I understand that will be a much higher cost than buying but I won't pay up front for FSD on a lease car.

When you say "pop-up" do you mean like a separate window or a modal on the same window?

Was it as soon as you logged in, vehicle page, vehicle details?

Which browser were you using?

When you said yes, do you mind me asking what the price shown was?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to get it to pop up on mine! I disabled ad-blocker thinking that might be the issue but no joy.

Safari.
Same window. Bottom right of page I think. Not an out of window popup.
I can’t remember if it was directly after logging in or after I clicked Manage.

It said $5800. (not £)

Note. I clicked this a few days after ordering, so it could be that my order hadn’t completely “set”.

I have seen some people talk about a URL that allows you to edit the car if you don’t have an edit button. Maybe google for that.

thats a lot of time to activate nothing... ;)

Welcome to Instant Rimshot

I'm mainly after NOA and the enhancements coming to city street driving coming in the next release. Now that I know the price, I'm just debating. I plan on keeping this car for the 4 years of my PCP and, if it all works out, it will then become my wife's car so we plan to have it around for a while.

I'm not sure how much you have been following recent events with FSD features, but for those that have not, legislation is currently restricting some features that are present in the FSD package. For instance, NOA isn't the same as NOA in US as there are time restrictions on lane changes which result in automatic lane changing being a very much hit and miss affair. The other high profile item is summon and enhanced summon (but no matter what the features page say, if not current and has been a week away for last 6 months), which in Europe are restricted to bluetooth and the user having to hold a button whilst in control - I have not seen a single report of summon constantly working reliably in UK without a hitch.

There are other functions that I am curious enough to pay for and I am in this for the long haul. But I think for anyone expecting instant gratification and a easy ride, its a case of buyer beware. I've not taken delivery yet so still have option to cancel and if they have removed the £1000 additional cost of buying after purchase, then until the rumoured price rises, or price cuts, it remains a bit of a lottery.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and drewpost