Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Users - Firmware Bugs & Wish Lists & Undesirables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purpose: Those with a model 3 that are discovering issues, bugs, disabled features or wish lists.

Items not yet enabled
1. Scheduled charge times - on display but greyed out
2. Summoning - delivery guy at pickup said M3 wont have - but I am not sure he knows for sure
3. Feels like self-parking is only partially working
4. Wifi not enables - only using AT&T LTE

Bugs
1. Glovebox still opens in valet mode
2. No Audio one day - had to do a full hard reset (Push break and both steering wheel buttons and hold)
3. Auto park is about 20% accurate at detecting parking spaces
4. Map voice commands work poor, detect what I am saying correctly, but not resolving the action during processing

Wish List
1. Option on folding mirrors to fold manually, but enable unfolding when unlocking
-Current setting: Folded mirrors stay folded when done manually - and don't unfold after unlocking or reversing until manually toggled
2. Close charge-port from iPhone
3. Only Mirrors/seat/steering position are profiled, would be nice to have temperature, songs, favorites, bluetooth phone, auto pilot distance and settings all follow profiles
4. Map directions moved closer to Driver peripheral
5. Auto adjusting review mirror
6. Text message integration into the display - currently only phone calls, contacts, and streaming
7. Better LTE signal as AT&T has a terrible signal in South Orange County
8. UX GUI for multiple windows - currently one covers the prior, thus acting a lot like a Windows PC
9. Interior rubber floor mats for all weather - currently only frunk/trunk available

Undesirables
1. Middle back seat to little padding can feel support structure on butt between middle and side seats.
2. Frunk is hard to close - and way too fragile for damage according to car manual
3. Doors need to be closed really hard to fully close - especially my front passenger door
4. Phone charger pretty flimsy, could be supported better for more of a "dock" feel
5. Coat hooks are cool coming down, but lifting my hanger off of them sometimes moves the hook back up, making it hard to unhook, thus need more of a resistance mechanism to prevent this, and only fold back up when done so intentionally

My requests:
1) Shrink the rear camera window to be strip over the top of the map so we can see both map and camera at the same time.
2) Allow swiping on the speedometer when autopilot is enabled. Right increases speed, left decreases speed. Down increases follow distance. Up decreases follow distance. Even better - add an option to map this to the right scroll wheel.
3) Add the Calendar app from Model S/X
4) Add a map button to show the Energy app as a translucent graph on the map.
5) Allow click dragging of the seat heater buttons to set the heat level. Alternatively, hold down the button to show a little window with extra options (like the HVAC control) - maybe include settings for rear seat heaters.
6) Add a button to save the last minute of video from autopilot cameras (dashcam functionality).
7) (hardware) The side view mirrors cannot angle enough to the outside. I don’t need to see the side of my car.
8) (hardware) I’d like to position the seat higher to see over the trunk, but the center rear view mirror level cannot be raised to help with this (not the same as angling).

Last edited:
...Items not yet enabled...

1) Is Homelink for automatic garage doors working yet (either automatic or manual opening/closing)?
2) Heated Steering wheel on yet?
3) Heated REAR seats on yet (front been on fine so far)?
4) Does FM includes "HD" as in the S and the X?
5) Is Bluetooth Media working yet (Bluetooth for phone has been on fine so far)?
6) Web browser working yet?
7) Is there an option for Rated or Ideal Miles?
8) Are Energy Consumption graphs working yet (only known in S and X as below so far)?

t57nkOc.jpg

hPCUqEi.jpg

2) Allow swiping on the speedometer when autopilot is enabled. Right increases speed, left decreases speed. Down increases follow distance. Up decreases follow distance. Even better - add an option to map this to the left scroll wheel.
A more logical solution is to utilize the right side steering wheel for speed adjustment since it isn't used at all other than for voice control. You don't even need to do the +5 increments as you can fine tune with the wheel much easier. The left is already used for volume control so it is in line to how S, X has it done as with my previous cars.

Wifi was on when picked our 3 up yesterday. Couldn't find a way to disable it, so maybe that'll be a problem.

Dittos:
missing the auto open/close on homelink
scheduled charging
how to heat the rear seats

Things I don't expect to ever be in the 3s currently shipping but are in Model S:
web browser - be honest, the web browser is terrible and should be left out.
heated steering wheel -- this is literally a separate steering wheel, so it won't be a software change. :)

I needed to consult manual for autopilot / cruise control activation and how to deal with FM radio, which includes HD according to the manual.

A whole bunch of the items people mentioned above aren't even in S or X vehicles, so I've no idea why the 3 is expected to have those features.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJFW8
2. No Audio one day - had to do a full hard reset (Push break and both steering wheel buttons and hold)

Had this happen to me once...the reset fixed the issue.

1. Option on folding mirrors to fold manually, but enable unfolding when unlocking

You can enable auto-folding setting under the mirror settings in quick-controls.

2. Close charge-port from iPhone

Do you have the bug where the car says charge port open on the app even when it is closed?

...web browser - be honest, the web browser is terrible and should be left out...

It is terrible but it is still useful to me as I can go to the web and get this kind of live info for my own Tesla car on the road: wind, elevation, grade, rate, ground speed, air speed...:

Tesla Winds and Elevation Web Browser App

TWE-screenshot.png

Notice also that Model 3 Owners have reported that its screen is much more responsive than the S' and X's.

The Model 3 had better get summon at some point in the near future. EAP for the Model 3 costs the same as it does with the S and X, so in my mind that means it should get all of the same features.
Summon is overrated and novelty. And the times when it is convenient to use, I'd rather have a reliable remote like the keyfob rather than trusting the app to control my car.

Summon is overrated and novelty. And the times when it is convenient to use, I'd rather have a reliable remote like the keyfob rather than trusting the app to control my car.
For me Summon is essential, I have a very tight garage and use summon all the time for my S. Before Summon I had to be a contortionist.

As to Bugs: Phone Key has been very inconsistent. My wife's Android S7 has only connected once , at the dealer, and not since. Going in tomorrow.
Biggest complaint it the brightness of the rear camera. We live in the country and without any outside light sources we can see nothing but black, our S presents a clear image under the same circumstances.

• Funny
Reactions: phaduman
I am on 2017.48.15 still.

Has anyone else had trouble with Bluetooth streaming from a phone during a long drive? I can stream fine for about 20 minutes, then it starts hiccuping and disconnecting from my phone.

I thought it was a phone problem until yesterday, when it dropped my phone, connected and tried to stream to my husband's phone and did the same stuttering and hiccups. Then it disconnected from both phones and wouldnt reconnect.

Phones involved are a Galaxy S8 and an iPhone 7+

We have 320 miles on ours, and 280 of those were driving to and from the Seaside Service Center yesterday.

Cruise control needs tweaking. I really like the way the S is designed. We can ratchet the lever one notch up or down for one MPH increases or decreases, or we can ratchet it all the way up or down for five MPH increases or decreases. Furthermore, we can cancel cruise control by pushing the lever away from us--no brake needed.

As far as I can tell, the only way to reduce speed but keep the cruise control on is to tap the minus sign on the touchscreen enough times to lower our speed. To increase our speed, the plus sign is tapped. Presumably one could also accelerate and then reset it.

It is convenient when driving on rural roads and highways to be able to cut cruise control without hitting the brake. Frequently, when approaching a small town the speed limit drops from 55 to 45 to 35 over a half mile distance or so. It is real convenient to drop the speed 5MPH a pop with the lever. I have to take my eyes off the road to use the minus sign.

Also, climate control is a little froggy for us. We are uncoordinated enough not to be able to move those blasted dots!

The voice command for the music player did not seem to understand what we wanted, but then voice commands are sorta out in left field for us.

Reactions: phaduman
As far as I can tell, the only way to reduce speed but keep the cruise control on is to tap the minus sign on the touchscreen enough times to lower our speed. To increase our speed, the plus sign is tapped. Presumably one could also accelerate and then reset it.

It is convenient when driving on rural roads and highways to be able to cut cruise control without hitting the brake. Frequently, when approaching a small town the speed limit drops from 55 to 45 to 35 over a half mile distance or so. It is real convenient to drop the speed 5MPH a pop with the lever. I have to take my eyes off the road to use the minus sign.

If you tap and hold the +/- it moves by 5 MPH. (So you don't have to tap 5 times.)

To cancel CC you can just tap the gear/CC/AP stalk up once. (So you don't have to tap the brakes.)