Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Users - Firmware Bugs & Wish Lists & Undesirables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you, Mike. No one at Tesla knew that. I could not find it in the owner's manual either, but then my eyes started glazing over about 30 minutes into reading it.

You're welcome. It is on page 64 and 65 of the version of the manual I have. (In the "Traffic-Aware Cruise Control" section under "Changing the Set Speed" and "Canceling and Resuming".)

Interestingly enough they don't have anything about normal CC in the manual, but I assume it works the same way.

Reactions: speedy99
I am on 2017.48.15 still.

Has anyone else had trouble with Bluetooth streaming from a phone during a long drive? I can stream fine for about 20 minutes, then it starts hiccuping and disconnecting from my phone.

I thought it was a phone problem until yesterday, when it dropped my phone, connected and tried to stream to my husband's phone and did the same stuttering and hiccups. Then it disconnected from both phones and wouldnt reconnect.

Phones involved are a Galaxy S8 and an iPhone 7+

I have confirmed that my BT streaming issue is definitely the car, not connectivity or my phone. Today I listened to my program streaming from the speaker of my phone and it played flawlessly for the whole 1 hour drive. Same route, everything except not streaming to the car.

I guess if no one else is having this issue, it might just be my car. Will have to report it to Tesla if the next software update doesn't fix it for me.

• Funny
Reactions: Joe F
This is more of a question, but could be something that might need some work. We were finally able to connect our phones to the car on Friday morning.

My wife made a short trip with three stops and returned home. We drove the car to see her sister and returned home. When we doused the light for the night her phone was at 65%, and my phone was at 72%.

Upon waking, the batteries on both phones were at or near zero. Prior to yesterday, my phone might lose 4-5% overnight. My wife usually kept her phone off.

Does the phone key stay active continuously? Does it send pulses every X seconds to connect to the car?

It would be nice to have a sleep mode for the phone app or a timing feature to disengage between X and Y o'clock.

(Please do not reply with the trite admonishment to plug phones in overnight. Thank you.)

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
This is more of a question, but could be something that might need some work. We were finally able to connect our phones to the car on Friday morning.

My wife made a short trip with three stops and returned home. We drove the car to see her sister and returned home. When we doused the light for the night her phone was at 65%, and my phone was at 72%.

Upon waking, the batteries on both phones were at or near zero. Prior to yesterday, my phone might lose 4-5% overnight. My wife usually kept her phone off.

Does the phone key stay active continuously? Does it send pulses every X seconds to connect to the car?

It would be nice to have a sleep mode for the phone app or a timing feature to disengage between X and Y o'clock.

(Please do not reply with the trite admonishment to plug phones in overnight. Thank you.)
Interesting, and definitely annoying. Were either of the phones within Bluetooth range of the car, even on the fringe of it, during the night? I wonder which communication path was keeping them awake...

Interesting, and definitely annoying. Were either of the phones within Bluetooth range of the car, even on the fringe of it, during the night? I wonder which communication path was keeping them awake...

I do not know what "within bluetooth range" is exactly. The 3 was in our garage. Our bedroom is about 25-30 feet away through the fire door that leads into the laundry room.

The 3 is for my wife. I have since switched the app on my phone back to the S. I noticed no appreciable decline the past night. She has her phone plugged in continuously now. Maybe we will conduct another test this coming week.

There was also a software update that I installed. Maybe there was a fix in the update. Unfortunately there was no information on the touchscreen to inform me what the update was going to do.

Had this happen to me once...the reset fixed the issue.

You can enable auto-folding setting under the mirror settings in quick-controls.
Yes, have auto folding on, but issue is when I manually fold for tight parking, then when back out later, they think they are unfolded, but are not. Hence physically mirrors will be folded, but the on screen toggle will show option to "Fold" mirrors, meaning, bug somewhere, it should say "unfold" or it should really be unfolding them automatically.

Do you have the bug where the car says charge port open on the app even when it is closed?
Yes, had me double check a few times, but also a bug.

So I got firmware 2017.50.11.13d4a04 today. The changes I noticed and has already been documented were: Ho Ho Ho Easter Egg through Tesla icon and scheduled charging.

Something not mentioned was that now you can go directly back and forth into a song by USB by touching the bar where it shows the length. Also noticed that I can add more favorites now. You could add favorites before but only two showed up for me. I added 3 more and they're all showing up now.

If you are playing USB and leave the car then come back, it still goes back to Phone. Still no shuffle yet.

Haven't driven yet to test EAP or try auto wipers with this update. Scheduled charging is set but haven't had it start up yet to see if it works. Mobile app does say what time scheduled charging is going to start.

So I got firmware 2017.50.11.13d4a04 today. The changes I noticed and has already been documented were: Ho Ho Ho Easter Egg through Tesla icon and scheduled charging.

Something not mentioned was that now you can go directly back and forth into a song by USB by touching the bar where it shows the length. Also noticed that I can add more favorites now. You could add favorites before but only two showed up for me. I added 3 more and they're all showing up now.

If you are playing USB and leave the car then come back, it still goes back to Phone. Still no shuffle yet.

Haven't driven yet to test EAP or try auto wipers with this update. Scheduled charging is set but haven't had it start up yet to see if it works. Mobile app does say what time scheduled charging is going to start.
I can confirm that both Auto wipers and Scheduling work.

Setting to have tacc automatically on at least to the point where if camera sees a car in front and you're going faster than that car, tacc automatically begins to slow down unless your have a blinker on and about to Pass.

This happened this morning to my wife. We had not driven the 3 in 48 hours.

She had a minor unexpected urgency to attend. She grabbed her purse with her fully-charged phone that was turned on. The car would not unlock despite her standing by the car a good 15 seconds. She fishes the hard card from her wallet and opens the car and drives off.
She is not a happy camper. I find the following in the owner's manual:

Note:

You must remain logged in to your
Tesla Account and have the Tesla mobile
app open or running in the background to
use your phone to access Model 3.

Note:
Unlike the mobile app, once a phone has
been authenticated, it no longer requires an
internet connection to communicate with
Model 3. Authenticated phones communicate
with Model 3 using Bluetooth.

What does this mean? What are we supposed to do? So Bluetooth does not equal internet. Yet the Tesla App uses the internet?

My wife and I feel like Groucho in Duck Soup:

• Funny
Reactions: kbecks13
This happened this morning to my wife. We had not driven the 3 in 48 hours.

She had a minor unexpected urgency to attend. She grabbed her purse with her fully-charged phone that was turned on. The car would not unlock despite her standing by the car a good 15 seconds. She fishes the hard card from her wallet and opens the car and drives off.
She is not a happy camper.

I had my phone disconnect as well and have a lot of issues reconnecting. Via google search I found a thread somewhere on this forum that recommended going into the app settings for Tesla changing the Modify System Settings to Allowed. Since doing this the phone key has worked great.

She is not a happy camper. I find the following in the owner's manual:
The app just needs to be on the Model 3 profile to work. If it was swiped to the Model S, the door will not unlock.

Which firmware are you on? My car had 50.10 when I picked it up and it constantly alarmed at me on the drive home (~3h), but after installing 50.11 that night it didn't alarm at me once, beyond the time I deliberately took my hands off the wheel to verify it was working, for another 4 hours of driving.

Possibly not isolated to the 3, but the software update process is frustratingly slow. Had to go to a svc center to get 2017.48.15. And 2 weeks later, still waiting for 2017.50.xx. Scheduled charging is a huge missing feature, and the bug re: stopping charging only to have it start right back up makes it more of a pain in the ass. Maybe the lack of WiFi is why I don't get the update? AT&T service is spotty at my house. Catch-22.

Missing the energy charts is annoying. Having to swipe around the cards to get the view energy/mileage stats I like every time I get in the car is lame. I always scroll down on the trip card to show "this trip" and since charge. There should be an option to lock this into place. Or better yet, come up with a better interface to have this always on like the S. Giving wipers priority over the stat sheet seems like an odd choice too. (SoCal resident complaint maybe. Rain? What rain?)

Geofence-enabled settings for unlock via phone. Having the car whir to life while I'm walking around my house all day seems like a bad idea.