TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 using rear brakes when turning?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by ratsbew, Sep 4, 2018.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I only noticed this because I had a factory defect where my left rear brake squealed when applied (with the brake pedal).

When making left (only left brake had squealing defect) turns beyond a certain steering angle I would also hear the brake noise. My guess is that Tesla is applying inside rear brake to assist with turning. Interestingly, I could hear this at highway speeds on sharper left hand turns, not just at low speeds or aggressive driving.

Has anyone else noticed this? It can't be good for efficiency to drag the brakes when going around turns where traction control is certainly not necessary.

Maybe they are achieving the cornering performance that people rave about because they are literally pushing the car around the corner with the outside rear wheel receiving extra power.

2. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

This is something that a lot of modern stability control systems do. They definitely do apply differential braking in order to assist in cornering and in lieu of mechanical limited slip differentials. I wouldn't be concerned about it, apart from knowing that for a lot of reasons, aggressive cornering and aggressive driving in general is rougher on your car.

3. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

To be clear, this happens at all speeds when turning. Even 5 mph in a parking lot seems to drag the brake when making a gradual turn.

4. SSedan

SSedan Member

Could be deflection causing contact.
    Not saying anything is bad about that, the forces involved are tremendous and deflection to be expected.

5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Yeah if you're hearing it at 5mph, that might not be differential braking. It might be worth asking your service center at your convenience to see if that's within their expected tolerance.

I only have a sample size of 1 and I've never heard any brake squealing.

When I was younger and more foolish I definitely burned up the brakes pretty badly in an Audi and that was how I learned about differential braking.

6. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I already took it in and had it fixed. It was a bent bracket from the factory. All quiet now.